News Article: Raffl offers more than you think

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
They have to put Raffl on the 4th line or send him back to the AHL, he's making the rest of the wingers look bad.

What a pass and G, what a goal. And he set up the first goal by going to the net hard.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Raffl is a funny guy like his dad... anybody catch the interview with coatsey after the Vancouver game? He said how Giroux yells at him in practice when he does stuff wrong. Coatsey asked if he liked that and he said ya because he wants him to be a better player. It was a interesting but a funny interview at the same time. I doubt G yelled at Hartnell for dragging him down since they are buds...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
They have to put Raffl on the 4th line or send him back to the AHL, he's making the rest of the wingers look bad.

What a pass and G, what a goal. And he set up the first goal by going to the net hard.

yeah and lets put Hartnell and Schenn on the top line because you know upside and name recognition>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>chemistry

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
I keep hearing about Raffl's dad. Who is he???

I'm starting to think Raffl might be one of those guys that just knows how to play with 'stars'. Which is nice.

Raffl House

Oct 2, 2004
South Philadelphia
I keep hearing about Raffl's dad. Who is he???

I'm starting to think Raffl might be one of those guys that just knows how to play with 'stars'. Which is nice.

After a Flyers game, a lot of the player's fathers were on the ice after a home game celebrating a win. They interviewed Raffl's dad, and instead of the typical canned stuff, he gave a pretty funny interview. Coatsey at one point asked if he thought he would ever see his son play in the NHL. He said "no, not really..." He had quite a few one liners if I recall correctly in that interview. I don't see a transcript or vid online, unfortunately.

On Raffl's play...I think its mostly confidence helping him along. He has a good combination of speed, size, skill and he is playing a north-south game now. I think before he was ultra-patient and coming from a European league, it doesn't surprise me. He just doesn't have the time and space in the NHL that he once did and he is starting to figure that out.

I'm hoping that with Giroux and Voracek, he can be a good complimentary player...maybe not like you would see with, say, Kunitz, but maybe along those lines.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
After a Flyers game, a lot of the player's fathers were on the ice after a home game celebrating a win. They interviewed Raffl's dad, and instead of the typical canned stuff, he gave a pretty funny interview. Coatsey at one point asked if he thought he would ever see his son play in the NHL. He said "no, not really..." He had quite a few one liners if I recall correctly in that interview. I don't see a transcript or vid online, unfortunately.

On Raffl's play...I think its mostly confidence helping him along. He has a good combination of speed, size, skill and he is playing a north-south game now. I think before he was ultra-patient and coming from a European league, it doesn't surprise me. He just doesn't have the time and space in the NHL that he once did and he is starting to figure that out.

I'm hoping that with Giroux and Voracek, he can be a good complimentary player...maybe not like you would see with, say, Kunitz, but maybe along those lines.

The guy he reminded me of was Mason Raymond and how he played on the Sedins line. He wasnt the most skilled but played good defensively, had speed and was able to create some good plays. If you think about it, the old Sedin-Sedin-Raymond line is decently similar to the Raffl-Giroux-Voracek line.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Just read that his Dad was a two time Olympian at hockey for Austria... played 20 years for the same team, won three championships and was ~PPG over 500+ games in his career in Austria.

Nice hockey playing heritage to come from.

His big brother is pretty good as well! Played over 50 times for Austria, twice Austrain champion, once European Trophy champion and in the last 3 years in Austria is just under PPG.

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia

Ah, I see! I must have missed that.

And yeah, Raffl's timing is getting better every game. I think most of us on here figured he'd need a few months in the AHL to adjust to the larger ice surface - nice to see he's ahead of schedule. :)

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
...Raffl now also starting to do some center work (not that we havent got enough, but whatever), so apart from goaltending he pretty much covered any spot on the ice, what you guys think, will he get a contract next year?

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
...Raffl now also starting to do some center work (not that we havent got enough, but whatever), so apart from goaltending he pretty much covered any spot on the ice, what you guys think, will he get a contract next year?

I hope so. Trade Downie or let him walk and put Raffl with Couturier and Read. At least that's what I'd do.

Raffl's awesome.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010

Absolutely. I think Raffl is destined to be the winger on Read and Couturier's line. He's got good enough offensive skills and speed to not drag down the line and he's certainly good enough defensively to be able to continue to use that line against the other teams best.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
When we first signed him I thought he would be a guy that would come in and contribute offensively. I guess my expectations were a little too high for a guy coming straight from the Allsvenskan. When you get passed that though, the guys brings a lot to the table. He can really skate, really gets on top of defenders on the forecheck, not afraid to take the body, can kill penalties (although he blocks shots like an idiot).

Offensively he is coming along. You can see him getting more comfortable the more he plays. He's making plays with the puck on his stick. He's a pretty good passer. Sometimes I would like to see him slow the pace down a bit when he has the puck. He's like Wellwood, he only goes one speed- fast. That may improve with time. Right now he's not a real good finisher. I'm not sure if that's something you can necessarily improve on, but he has been considered a goal scorer in the past, so we will see. He flashes a decent shot, although not that accurate.

All that said, Raffl was a good find. You didn't have to waste any assets to acquire him and if he turns out to be 'just' a third line winger, that's still good value. I think he's still got some upside despite being 25. He's still raw in a lot of area's, but he also hasn't played a lot of high level hockey either up to this season.

I don't see why he wouldn't be resigned, unless he wanted to go back to Europe, or received an offer he couldn't turn down.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Love the way Raffl plays. The NBC guys (both last night and the game before) said how Berube believes Raffl can/will be a scorer in this league; I don't think that's going to happen playing with Rinaldo and Hall.

Putting him with Read and Couturier just seems too obvious. There's speed on the wings, all three are defensively sound, and no doubt can all contribute offensively. Come on, Berube.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Love the way Raffl plays. The NBC guys (both last night and the game before) said how Berube believes Raffl can/will be a scorer in this league; I don't think that's going to happen playing with Rinaldo and Hall.

Putting him with Read and Couturier just seems too obvious. There's speed on the wings, all three are defensively sound, and no doubt can all contribute offensively. Come on, Berube.

Downie was Raffl insurance. It appears unneeded, so he can move up to the 3rd line next year w/ Read/Couturier

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Okay, how about this question: Who would you rather have now, Raffl or Gagne?

Remember, Holmgren got killed by some fans for not re-signing Gagne, and if he did get re-signed, it's likely that Raffl isn't on this roster right now.

Honestly, i hope Raffl is around for a while. He's very promising.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Raffl is still Nodl, but he's what we really hoped Nodl would be (and obviously wasn't). Raffl and Read are two of my favorite Flyers right now just because they're both so versatile and pretty much impossible to ever be pissed at.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Okay, how about this question: Who would you rather have now, Raffl or Gagne?

Remember, Holmgren got killed by some fans for not re-signing Gagne, and if he did get re-signed, it's likely that Raffl isn't on this roster right now.

Honestly, i hope Raffl is around for a while. He's very promising.

I love Gags but Raffl AINEC (first time I've ever user that!). But I'd rather have Gags than one or two other guys currently on the roster.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I was impressed with him in last night's game. He was one of the most noticeable players on the ice for you guys. Looks like you found an NHL player in this kid!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Almost like we won...
Capture.PNG

a raffle.

Ad

Ad

Ad

-->