News Article: Raffl offers more than you think

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Hartnell (6 years) - Giroux (9 years) - Voracek (3 years)
Simmonds (6 years) - Lecavalier (5 years) - Schenn (1 year + RFA)
Downie (1 year) - Couturier (3 years + RFA) - Read (5 years)

Next year, Downie is the only person in the top 9 that MIGHT not be here. Despite our early season struggles, our goaltending and defense have been holding up rather well. It was our offense, something we knew would come around eventually based on plenty of historical precedence, that was the problem.

That said, I could see the Flyers seeing Downie as a long-term kind of player to fit into the top 9.

If that's the case, I don't see room for Raffl. We have 9 potential 20 goal-scorers in the lineup should Couturier break out offensively soon. Raffl doesn't fit in this equation, and the fourth line is not where he belongs long-term.

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
...can someone explain why Raffl is not send back to AHL to play games but sits instead around?
...he seems to be healthty for the last 10 days, right?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
...can someone explain why Raffl is not send back to AHL to play games but sits instead around?
...he seems to be healthty for the last 10 days, right?

He was just made available fort he Winnipeg game but Berube didn't want to change the lineup. I don't think he has anything to gain from AHL time. He isn't exactly young. He is a 3rd 4th liner who needs to get acclimated to the speed of the NHL .

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Raffl with 4 points in his last 5 games. The savior to the top line has emerged.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Hartnell (6 years) - Giroux (9 years) - Voracek (3 years)
Simmonds (6 years) - Lecavalier (5 years) - Schenn (1 year + RFA)
Downie (1 year) - Couturier (3 years + RFA) - Read (5 years)

Next year, Downie is the only person in the top 9 that MIGHT not be here. Despite our early season struggles, our goaltending and defense have been holding up rather well. It was our offense, something we knew would come around eventually based on plenty of historical precedence, that was the problem.

That said, I could see the Flyers seeing Downie as a long-term kind of player to fit into the top 9.

If that's the case, I don't see room for Raffl. We have 9 potential 20 goal-scorers in the lineup should Couturier break out offensively soon. Raffl doesn't fit in this equation, and the fourth line is not where he belongs long-term.

I agree with the idea behind this post, essentially that there just isn't room for him here, but at the same time I also think that he will be brought back next year. I think he's looked excellent all season long, and it was only a matter of time before the goals and points started to come, but I don't know if other teams have really noticed him at this point to make his value jump. I can see him signing a two year deal or so and he'll be a top-9 guy who rotates around to fill in for injuries (unless he REALLY gels with a guy like Giroux or something) and plays 4th line when everyone is healthy.

He's an RFA so he's not going to just walk, and any team that offer-sheets him I would think wouldn't give him much more than what the Flyers would be willing to match (and if they did, take the picks and run). Either that or if his value is high, deal him at the deadline for something the team needs.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
His energy, backchecking and IQ really helped him on that line. He belongs on that line more than Hartnell.

Yes, he really skates well, uses his size, isn't afraid to stick his nose in, has good skill with the puck and has found his scoring touch. Looks good on that line or any other (was good with Vinnie too). Great signing.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
If I were the GM, I'd keep Raffl over Downie. In a vacuum, Downie is obviously the more valuable player, no doubt. However, he'll make at least three or four times the amount that Raffl will make and be on a long contract. Outside of Couturier and Read, this team has zero two way forwards. Raffl isn't there yet, but I see the potential for him to put up enough points to stick on an NHL third line, all while being a solid defensive player even strength and an above average penalty killer. He's physical and strong, a plus skater, has decent enough puck skills to play in the top 9, and has already shown pretty good defensive acumen and overall hockey smarts. What's not to like? Yeah, his offensive potential is obviously limited, but he brings a hell of lot more to the table than the Nodls, Somiks, Radivojevics, Dimitrakos, and the other guys who have spent a few seasons on the 3rd line here in the last decade.

Downie is great and I'd like to see him re-signed to about a three year deal if they could get rid of Hartnell, but to me, Downie, Hartnell, and Simmonds is just overkill on one team. Too slow, too one dimensional, and in Downie and Hartnell's cases, too expensive. I just have a feeling that if Downie gets a big contract, he's going to turn into the next Hartnell here.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
If I were the GM, I'd keep Raffl over Downie. In a vacuum, Downie is obviously the more valuable player, no doubt. However, he'll make at least three or four times the amount that Raffl will make and be on a long contract. Outside of Couturier and Read, this team has zero two way forwards. Raffl isn't there yet, but I see the potential for him to put up enough points to stick on an NHL third line, all while being a solid defensive player even strength and an above average penalty killer. He's physical and strong, a plus skater, has decent enough puck skills to play in the top 9, and has already shown pretty good defensive acumen and overall hockey smarts. What's not to like? Yeah, his offensive potential is obviously limited, but he brings a hell of lot more to the table than the Nodls, Somiks, Radivojevics, Dimitrakos, and the other guys who have spent a few seasons on the 3rd line here in the last decade.

Downie is great and I'd like to see him re-signed to about a three year deal if they could get rid of Hartnell, but to me, Downie, Hartnell, and Simmonds is just overkill on one team. Too slow, too one dimensional, and in Downie and Hartnell's cases, too expensive. I just have a feeling that if Downie gets a big contract, he's going to turn into the next Hartnell here.

I think Downie is a must keep. This team has a habit of finding players that have great chemistry with others on their team but then keep letting them go. That's why Chicago has been really good; the same guys play together for most of the years, and they integrate other pieces into players who already have chemistry.

Hockey is more than just pure individual talent - you need to play well with your teammates, too. Downie is PPG (or near it) since he joined here. Is he talented enough to be a PPG player? No, not really, but all three players compliment each others games which elevates their individual production. These are the times you overpay to keep your TEAM - can't just sub another 'Downie-like' player - it may not work.

Leino (understandably let go for $$, but maybe could have been signed earlier) - afterwards Briere really struggled and Hartnell was able to find another line again with Jagr/Giroux, but now that's gone because we let Jagr go for dicking around for another supposed superstar Parise.

Now Downie has great chemistry with two of our players - I say we keep that going as long as we can, even if you need to overpay by $500K to do it.

Imagine if Jagr had stayed and Giroux/Hartnell/Jagr still had the same chemistry - then you bump Voracek to the second line which was great as ewll for a while.

Maybe we don't get Vinny - but he hasn't really quite found his 'spot' yet.

We need to keep guys who have known chemistry. Most of the time they find chemistry for one season and are gone the next, and then you're spending half of next season to find new lines again.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
be interesting to see if he continues to see top line minutes. he really doesnt wow you with any one thing, but he is a pretty good player in all 3 zones. would like to see him get more of a finish on his shot. hopefully that comes with more playing time.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
be interesting to see if he continues to see top line minutes. he really doesnt wow you with any one thing, but he is a pretty good player in all 3 zones. would like to see him get more of a finish on his shot. hopefully that comes with more playing time.

He's a Nodl-type first liner. Can fill in, but if he's consistently there something is probably really wrong with your team.

vtm26

Oct 28, 2013
People like to compare him to Nodl but Nodl played over 100 AHL games while Raffl has 2. Nodl also did play in the WCHA and USHL. What I'm saying is Nodl had a lof of time to get accustomed to the North American style of hockey while Raffl had like 3 months. He looked pretty good in the last few games and I hope he's only getting better with more and more games in the NHL (yeah, I'm Austrian btw, we only have 3 NHLers to root for ;)).

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Had his best game as a Flyer. Dont know how much this will last but looks the most comfortable playing with Giroux than anyone else has (I would even say better than Voracek has been for most of this season)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad