News Article: Raffl offers more than you think

viggen

Mar 22, 2013
Carinthia
Congratulation on his 10th goal! :)

Even though his numbers are not as impressive than Girouxs or Voraceks, he fullfils a very important role on that line, i really like how he hustles along the boards , fights for every puck and opens up space for the two super stars! 20 goals should be possible this season and that without PP...

...he must be the cheapest current 1st line wing in the NHL? (and the only Flyers player without a proper players discussion thread)

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought his finish for this goal was very good.

BW1ZteY.gif

Funf

Sep 17, 2013
Philadelphia
Right now he's on pace for 28 goals, and 8 assists. I just saw that and it really surprised me. :laugh:

He's been great though. Good defensive play, supports G and V well, and now he's got a bit of a physical edge.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Its not that surprising since he plays with two of the best passers and most unselfish forwards in the league.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Haha, yeah, it is basically his job to just bang their passes at the net.

To that end he's definitely surpassed Nodl when he was in that role on the top line. In a big way.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Michael Raffl is the GOAT. A full healthy season and he's a 25+ goal scorer. And maybe, just maybe, if he got a look on the PP you'd be looking at more than that.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Personally, i'm not entirely convinced that he's the best fit on a line with G and V, but i'd love to see a second line next season of Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds.

And yeah, get this guy some PP time.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
Personally, i'm not entirely convinced that he's the best fit on a line with G and V, but i'd love to see a second line next season of Raffl-Laughton-Simmonds.

Really? I think he's just about exactly what they need. A good, tough grinder who's willing to win battles for the puck and do the dirty work for them. He has good awareness and positioning and can put the puck in when he needs to. He's obviously not a top shooter but he's good enough, especially given the opportunities that they provide for him. He really stepped his game up towards the end of the year, as well. Skating with a lot of confidence.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

While I do like Raffl on the G and V line, I also like the idea of that line you suggested too. That would mean we acquired a LW via free agency, trade, or our 1st round pick made team though. Dont think we will see Schenn back on the top line next year. With your proposal we would look like this:

Line 1: ______ - Giroux - Voracek
Line 2: Read - Couturier- Schenn
Line 3: Raffl - Laughton - Simmonds

Who fills that void then becomes the question. If it can be done, we have our deepest top 9 since 2012.

We may be just as well off saving money, not making a trade, and leaving our prospect to develop and rolling with this:

Line 1: Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Line 2: Read - Couturier- Schenn
Line 3: Cousins/White - Laughton - Simmonds

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Quick… who is the only current Flyers forward to have played on all four lines this season?
I’m certain the first name to jump into your head was not Michael Raffl. And yet, he’s the answer.
Adding to his versatility resume, Raffl has also played on the power play and on the penalty kill.
Having him on the roster was one of the reasons Max Talbot became moveable in a trade for a better offensive player – because Raffl was versatile enough to do some of the things Talbot was doing for the Flyers.

...so we might see more from Raffl after all? Coaching staff seems to be quite happy with him, how do you see his performance so far?
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=22695

Ahhh... So it was actually Raffl who was responsible for the Second Coming of Steve Downie in O&B, huh?... Damn you, Raffl. :sarcasm:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Raffl is exactly what Hextall should be looking to add the next two years while the prospects mature through the system, low cost versatile forwards who may not be flashing but get the job done at both ends of the ice. They have two top 10 scorers, two more guys who can score goals (if Schenn at RW isn't a mirage), what they need, given their salary problems (with extensions, forget expensive FAs) the next two years, are upgrades in forward depth (i.e. no Rinaldo, Vinnie, Jones getting ice time). Getting Umberger and Read healthy would help, keeping White healthy, but does Cousins have a role? Can VV repeat?

Raffl isn't going to be a star, but he can skate, has the grit to go into corners, and potentially could be a 20-20 forward. PEB can skate, but hasn't shown the same strength or offensive skills. One more guy like Raffl and we might field 4 lines that aren't cringe worthy.

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Personally i feel as though the new coach needs to look at pairs and incert plays as seen fit.

XXX - G - Jake
XXX - Coots - Schenn
XXX - Laughton - Simmer
XXX - PEB - XXX

This leaves guys like Raffl, Read, White, Cousins and potentially VDV if resigned some wiggle room. If trades can be made and we can lose vinny and RJ, I'd love to find a top line LW (we all would) via FA/draft Id like to see:

XXX - G - Jake
Raffl - Coots - Schenn
Read - Laughton - Simmer
Cousins - PEB - White

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Schenn
Cousins-Laughton-Simmonds
White-Bellemare-Vandevelde

Unless we draft a kid thats NHL ready, in which case I think he has to play in the top 6. So you can move White over to RW VV as HS and knock every guy down a line or put the rook with Couturier and leave Raffl on line #1

Jettison Umberger and Lecavalier.

Last edited:

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-Simmonds
Cousins-Laughton-Simmonds
White-Bellemare-Vandevelde

Unless we draft a kid thats NHL ready, in which case I think he has to play in the top 6. So you can move White over to RW VV as HS and knock every guy down a line or put the rook with Couturier and leave Raffl on line #1

Jettison Umberger and Lecavalier.

I would love to clone simmonds as well but what about schenn

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Pending any tardes:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-BSchenn
Bellemare-Laughton-Simmonds
Umberger-White-Lecavalier/Rinaldo

Fragmuffin

Aug 20, 2013
Zagreb
Pending any tardes:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-BSchenn

That is what the top 9 should look like. Bellemare deserves to play with some better linemates, and since I don't think we'll be getting rid of Umberger, he should be playing on the 4th line. I'd just go with VdV instead of Vinny/Rinaldo if we have the cap space to re-sign him, seeing as we're stuck with the two.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I think a healthy Umberger can play at least as well as VandeVelde did this season. I like White as the 4C cause he's better on faceoffs than Bellemare, but those two could flip positions without much trouble.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Pending any tardes:

Raffl-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Couturier-BSchenn

White has been far more productive offensively than Belly since joining the team, and Bellemare is stronger defensively.

If anything, I would flip-flop White and Bellemare, but otherwise that lineup makes sense.

Would rather see Cousins in there than Umberger, Lecavalier, and Rinaldo too but that's wishful thinking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad