World Cup: R16: Belgium vs. Japan, 7/2/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
How does extra time work? I get the play stoppages and injury time, but do the refs just call it at their own discretion?

Just to answer this anyway.

Stoppage time is added at the end of each half based on injury stoppages, substitutions, or time wasting by either time. The idea is to theoretically make each half be 45 minutes of "actual" football. It's entirely up to referee discretion.

Extra time is added to the end of some games if it's tied after the second half. You play two 15 minute halves, with stoppage time added at the end of each of them if there's any.

Reactions: Deen

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Belgium need de bruyne and mertens to show up if they want to beat Brazil. And Lukaku needs to actually finish. Really good on the final break (both the run and the dummy), but two open headers from 6 yards out today, one went wide and one was straight at the keeper.

Reactions: Blender

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
I honestly think they don't really understand how this sport works. No European or Latin American side would ever play like Japan do.
They don't have any awareness, the last play was ridiculous. Why would you send almost everyone on your team on a corner when you are basically a nation of midgets playing against Goliaths?
It truly pisses me off.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They're too honest. We complain about time wasting, diving, etc. but that's how teams finish games. Japan doesn't do any of those.
If they can keep developing talent and improving though, this will pay off for them over the years. They just need to hit on a golden generation of players, and playing this way will translate to results.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
They're too honest. We complain about time wasting, diving, etc. but that's how teams finish games. Japan doesn't do any of those.
This game was lost on their goalkeeper and stupidity on the last play.
Belgium played a horrible game today.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
And that’s why you park the bus, folks :sarcasm:
Sadly, but true. It wasn't the case today, but when you are a bad team your only chance to win is to park the bus. It's a smart decision. It doesn't make it up a nice game to watch but you gain in emotion.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
I guess Belgium just needed something to get them motivated. What a comeback! But kudos to Japan, too, as no one thought this match would be such a nail-biter.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They wanted their own mentality back. This is by design.

I know that they sacked their successful European coach - Halilhodzic - who had them playing a far more realistic style and replaced them with someone from within their FA. But if they prefer going down in a blaze of glory to actually winning..it's entertaining but not the way to get the most out of your talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad