World Cup: R16: Belgium vs. Japan, 7/2/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Of course it is not obvious. Like South Korea Japan will run and fight for their lives. Never easy to break down a disciplined team like that.

Belgium are favourites, but no way anything close to a given that they will go through.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Belgium got better players than Germany in attack, but 1) hardly possible to say they are better at scoring based on three games (and they didn't create much against England - special game of course) 2) the quality and style of the opposition (Germany played against 3 teams that didn't do much else than defending - not true for Belgium).

Suiteness

Mar 14, 2003
Time to Rebuild
Visit site
Lukaku will get a hattrick then disappear against Brazil.
That's my take as well.

That being said, even when considering the crap-ass opposition they faced, Belgium seems to be the only team in this tournament who are capable of playing quality possession football. Not useless sideways and backwards passing possession like Spain and Germany but legitimate incisive passing that breaks down the lines along with great off the ball movement that stretches defenses apart. I hope they put on a show tomorrow.

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
I usually like watching Japan and hope for the best for them but I think this will be a very one sided match, wouldn't be surprise if Belgium win by three goals for example

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
That's my take as well.

That being said, even when considering the crap-ass opposition they faced, Belgium seems to be the only team in this tournament who are capable of playing quality possession football. Not useless sideways and backwards passing possession like Spain and Germany but legitimate incisive passing that breaks down the lines along with great off the ball movement that stretches defenses apart. I hope they put on a show tomorrow.

Agree with this assessment. Belgium are not going to pull a Spain here and pass the ball around for two hours just assuming an opening will present itself. They'll go get a goal or two. Unless the Japanese defenders and keeper have the game of their lives, I don't think they withstand the onslaught. I'll predict Belgium scores 3+ and wins with ease. This is the one upset I really can't conceive of.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Agree with this assessment. Belgium are not going to pull a Spain here and pass the ball around for two hours just assuming an opening will present itself. They'll go get a goal or two. Unless the Japanese defenders and keeper have the game of their lives, I don't think they withstand the onslaught. I'll predict Belgium scores 3+ and wins with ease. This is the one upset I really can't conceive of.
Definitely. A lot of the top guys on Belgium are pretty comfortable playing a more direct style of football. So unless they choke tomorrow, which Belgium has done before of course, they should take this one hands down.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Would not be surprised to see Japan give the Belgians a real good go but tough not to think the Red Devils advance.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Belgium losing to Japan would be far more shocking than what happened today in Spain/Russia. If Belgium doesn't win by 2-3 goals I'll be shocked.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I like them both but I cheer for Japan. Underdog power!
tenor.gif

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I don't agree. Japan is way more skilled than Russia imo. We played them a couple of months ago and even though it was only a friendly, it was a close game. Japs definitely have the ability to hurt our defence.

lud

May 27, 2009
Croatia
If Japan somehow pull surprise,it would be much bigger upset than Spain/Russia
So,Belgium wins easily

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes