World Cup: R16: Belgium vs. Japan, 7/2/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Not just that. He was on the right side at first, but he made a run to the middle to leave the right side wide open. As he did that, then he spotted Chadli traling, a really smart play

Honestly I think that's one of his most underrated skills. He makes excellent runs game in and game out. Sometimes to get into space, sometimes to open it up for others. Doesn't a good job of dragging defenders around or forcing them to go into bad spots.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
Down 2, scored 3 straight.

You people who expect perfection are very strange. Mistakes happen, it's how you respond that matters.

Belgium responded very well to being down and came out with the win.

"Meh, they didn't play perfect so let's crap all over both teams". Classic HF :laugh:

Responding well and having the edge are two completely different concepts IMO.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If Belgium have any ideas of winning the world cup they're gonna have to insert boyata back into the starting 11.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I think most players are happy when they're winning. They didn't look happy at the end there by any means. And we're not talking about parking the bus, we're talking about playing in a sound and compact fashion. Japan was pushing up on Belgium with 8 guys even late in the game, in injury time. There's playing pleasant football - like say a Croatia is capable of - and then there's playing suicidal football. How do you lose on a break after a corner in injury time as the *underdog*? It's baffling, but oh well, they can obviously play whatever style they want to play.
I agree. That style can backfire badly but it's still a good representation of football. It's what you want of a game. And, having the right players, it could succeed. Japan was close.

Reactions: canuckster19

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
It would be a gigantic scandal back home if any of these things were true:

A.) A Japanese player cheated to win. There are scandals where famous people have cheated on their wives and practically been banished from society, their suicide culture when people get caught doing something wrong, etc.

B.) The team didn't try to win at every chance.

C.) They didn't continue to attack and still lost.

I think they fully understand how the sport works, but they have a different culture than we do.
Yeah but not attacking for 15 minutes to keep the 1-0 loss is apparently acceptable in that culture

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
I agree. That style can backfire badly but it's still a good representation of football. It's what you want of a game. And, having the right players, it could succeed. Japan was close.

Agreed, they'll have more people tuning in to watch games like today than the two snooze fests we were presented with yesterday.

Reactions: Eisen

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah and they certainly didn't look that way until a couple well timed lucky breaks, but whatever, my point obviously isn't coming across to you very well.

Yes it does

You think they underperformed

I say they came from behind and managed to not lose their cool as they seemed to be headed for another major choke

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Any idea what that song is during the celebration? The one that sounds like na na na ? Bad description I know lol

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Sometimes a team bunkers by necessity but not intent. If you watched the first 10 mins or so, Japan stRted very brightly. But sometimes another team is just better. They’re going to hold the ball and dictate pace. What is the lesser quality team to do? Defend for their lives.

Everyone expects these underdog teams to just play their role and come in and play a style which would see them down 0-3 by the 55th minute to the giants. As if that would make for better viewing from a neutral fans perspective than what we had with Japan-Belgium and Russia-Spain.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Any idea what that song is during the celebration? The one that sounds like na na na ? Bad description I know lol
At the start of every game? It's Seven Nation Army by the White Stripes.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Japan are pretty much destined to always be the bridesmaid, never the bride. They're not quite good enough to play like this, but they can't defend either. It's like the team version of those small skill forwards who are not quite good enough to be NHL stars and don't have the physicality or toughness to be utility players, so they end up career minor leaguers/European league guys.

Russia has another game to play, I doubt Japan will. It's unfortunate because you want to see their style rewarded, but cynicism has always paid off in this sport.

There's much in what you say, and as Belgium broke upfield to score the winner I was asking myself how on earth Japan could have been caught so thin at the back- that was flat out reckless.

Yet, that moment apart, I'm unsure how much cynicism could have helped them given that to all intents and purposes they not only didn't have a goalkeeper but couldn't counter Belgium's aerial threat. I think attack was a far wiser form of defence than inviting Belgium nearer their own end with the constant risk that either the keeper would cost them a goal or they'd be brutalised jumping for a high ball.

I missed the first half, but in the second I was impressed by how much Japan got out of what they had. Kagawa aside they possessed little real flair on the ball, but they moved and ran smartly enough to compensate. Perhaps they could have controlled the pace of the game better late on, but I'd say that's splitting hairs. The sense I had was that over an extra 30 minutes Belgium's physical advantage and superior star quality would have told, and I wonder whether maybe Japan at heart felt the same, throwing caution to the wind as a result.

They're the sort of team that once upon a time English journalists would have called 'valiant'. If nothing else, they did themselves justice- which is more than can be said of a number of supposedly more sophisticated outfits.

Vertonghen's goal reminded me a touch Uwe Seeler's header against England in 1970. If the BBC are to be believed, Belgium is the first team to overturn a 2-0 deficit to win a World Cup knockout tie since that famous game in Mexico.

Returning to this game, in the minutes preceding Vertonghen's header everything had been pointing to increased Belgian pressure bringing about a goal. But I suspect the manner in which they scored was decisive because it meant suddenly a team awash with attacking weapons and possessed of a clear tactical advantage was in the scoreboard without having done anything right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Suiteness and Corto

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Belgium wasn't horrible, but they certainly weren't sharp.

Mertens had multiple passes to absolutely no one. De Bruyne was basically invisible. Lukuaku had two open headers from 6 yards out and didn't even force the keeper into a really hard save. Japan's first goal was Vertonghen doing...something, I'm not entirely sure what he was thinking. Their second was Begium falling asleep on defense, Witsel not closing down well and no one else providing help.

They need to clear those things up if they want to have a chance against Brazil.

Yep, the biggest offensive problem was wayward passing (Mertens, Carrasco, Vertonghen) and poor finishing by Lukaku, who on normal day would have scored at least a couple.

I think Witsel was closing all right (he nearly got there) but there was just too much space for him to cover alone. That the 3-men defence didn't help was probably Martinez's tactical failure, they were way too passive in closing down. That tactics won't work against Brazil, Coutinho will have field day if he's allowed that all that room to shoot in front of the defensive line. De Bruyne and Witsel won't be enough to cover the whole center midfield.

If Belgium are bold, they'll sacrife a CB for DM, if, not they'll remove a forward (Mertens?).

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad