World Cup: R16: Belgium vs. Japan, 7/2/2018

Who advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Sadly, but true. It wasn't the case today, but when you are a bad team your only chance to win is to park the bus. It's a smart decision. It doesn't make it up a nice game to watch but you gain in emotion.

Parking the bus doesn't work when the team compromises mostly of small players. Especially against a team of giants.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I know that they sacked their successful European coach - Halilhodzic - who had them playing a far more realistic style and replaced them with someone from within their FA. But if they prefer going down in a blaze of glory to actually winning..it's entertaining but not the way to get the most out of your talent.

Isn't that the Japanese way? Talking about their culture.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Parking the bus doesn't work when the team compromises mostly of small players. Especially against a team of giants.
Like I said, it wasn't the case today. But It can work if you play against a team that doesn't have a good aerial game, like Argentina.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It would be a gigantic scandal back home if any of these things were true:

A.) A Japanese player cheated to win. There are scandals where famous people have cheated on their wives and practically been banished from society, their suicide culture when people get caught doing something wrong, etc.

B.) The team didn't try to win at every chance.

C.) They didn't continue to attack and still lost.

I think they fully understand how the sport works, but they have a different culture than we do.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I know that they sacked their successful European coach - Halilhodzic - who had them playing a far more realistic style and replaced them with someone from within their FA. But if they prefer going down in a blaze of glory to actually winning..it's entertaining but not the way to get the most out of your talent.
If you have the right players, this style could work. And Japan was not far away. Fun is a good motivator, story or philosophy, too. I can't believe that actual players are happy to play parking the bus.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you have the right players, this style could work. And Japan was not far away. Fun is a good motivator, story or philosophy, too. I can't believe that actual players are happy to play parking the bus.
If Japan had the weapons Belgium does, they would have blown a team like Japan off the field. It's the right way to play and the right culture to build if you can also develop the players for it long term.

Reactions: Eisen

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

I think most players are happy when they're winning. They didn't look happy at the end there by any means. And we're not talking about parking the bus, we're talking about playing in a sound and compact fashion. Japan was pushing up on Belgium with 8 guys even late in the game, in injury time. There's playing pleasant football - like say a Croatia is capable of - and then there's playing suicidal football. How do you lose on a break after a corner in injury time as the *underdog*? It's baffling, but oh well, they can obviously play whatever style they want to play.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This game was lost on their goalkeeper and stupidity on the last play.
Belgium played a horrible game today.

You don't score 3 goals down 2 in an elimination game in the biggest tournament in the world by playing horribly.

Both teams played great, Belgium had the edge. No need to be all sour.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think most players are happy when they're winning. They didn't look happy at the end there by any means. And we're not talking about parking the bus, we're talking about playing in a sound and compact fashion. Japan was pushing up on Belgium with 8 guys even late in the game, in injury time. There's playing pleasant football - like say a Croatia is capable of - and then there's playing suicidal football. How do you lose on a break after a corner in injury time as the *underdog*? It's baffling, but oh well, they can obviously play whatever style they want to play.
Japan was trying to win the game. I don't think they were going to change how they were playing regardless of the time on the clock, they were going to keep pressing and trying to win until the final whistle.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Belgium wasn't horrible, but they certainly weren't sharp.

Mertens had multiple passes to absolutely no one. De Bruyne was basically invisible. Lukuaku had two open headers from 6 yards out and didn't even force the keeper into a really hard save. Japan's first goal was Vertonghen doing...something, I'm not entirely sure what he was thinking. Their second was Begium falling asleep on defense, Witsel not closing down well and no one else providing help.

They need to clear those things up if they want to have a chance against Brazil.

Reactions: gary69 and Blender

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
You don't score 3 goals down 2 in an elimination game in the biggest tournament in the world by playing horribly.

Sorry, when you are dominated by Japan having the players that you have, you just played a horrible game. This game was supposed to be a thrashing.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden
It would be a gigantic scandal back home if any of these things were true:

A.) A Japanese player cheated to win. There are scandals where famous people have cheated on their wives and practically been banished from society, their suicide culture when people get caught doing something wrong, etc.

B.) The team didn't try to win at every chance.

C.) They didn't continue to attack and still lost.

I think they fully understand how the sport works, but they have a different culture than we do.

Sounds kinda like how they lost WW2.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Neither team played great. That's damn certain. Belgium was absolutely horrible defending down the flanks, Carrasco flat out isn't interested in playing D, scored a lucky goal, and Japan just messed that up horribly at the end, and was abused constantly at the set pieces.

canuckster19

Former CDC Mod
Sep 23, 2008
Gothenburg Sweden

LOL, they're lucky they got their first goal on a Japanese miscue at midfield, and what was likely another Ronaldinho moment, no way he meant to put that in, but hey, it happens, but to say Belgium had the edge at any point before 2-1 is an outright lie.

Reactions: Fvital92

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Great play by Lukaku not touching that ball, anything coming off his foot would have been wasted anyway.

Not just that. He was on the right side at first, but he made a run to the middle to leave the right side wide open. As he did that, then he spotted Chadli traling, a really smart play

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
LOL, they're lucky they got there first goal on a Japanese miscue at midfield, and what was likely another Ronaldinho moment, no way he meant to put that in, but hey, it happens, but to say Belgium had the edge at any point before 2-1 is an outright lie.

Down 2, scored 3 straight.

You people who expect perfection are very strange. Mistakes happen, it's how you respond that matters.

Belgium responded very well to being down and came out with the win.

"Meh, they didn't play perfect so let's crap all over both teams". Classic HF :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad