Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

funky

Time for the future. More Byfield and Clarke
Mar 9, 2002
I was all for the Vilardi being sent down to the minors for at least a couple of weeks.

With him though, I wonder what another proper summer of training will do for him. I would imagine if he strengthens his legs and works a bit more on his cardio it will positively affect his scooting and his time on ice.

Byfield on the other hand has no issues with his skating and got caught out on an extended shift for a while and seem to do OK with it. He seems just as big as everyone else out there if not bigger and will also put on 10 to 15 more pounds. He could keep up with NHL play, made a couple of mistakes, but it was also his first NHL game and nerves had to be a bit of a factor. If he can be consistently good like he was last night he will be in the NHL all year next year. It is a game of inches and he was inches away from scoring a couple goals and setting up at least one nice play.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bouncesonly

May 1, 2014
San Diego
Kid needs to grow and develop. Look at Kaprizov. 4 years in the minors and he comes up and kills it. Look at Vilardi. 25? games in the A and isn't even making an impact. There's something to be said about developing in the minors where there's less pressure on you and you can kind of take it at your own pace.

Or be great like Auston Matthews

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I was all for the Lardi being sent down to the minors for at least a couple of weeks.

With him though, I wonder what another proper summer of training will do for him. I would imagine if he strengthens his legs and works a bit more on his cardio it will positively affect his scooting and his time on ice.

Byfield on the other hand has no issues with his skating and got caught out on an extended shift for a while and seem to do OK with it. He seems just as big as everyone else out there if not bigger and will also put on 10 to 15 more pounds. He could keep up with NHL play, made a couple of mistakes, but it was also his first NHL game and nerves had to be a bit of a factor. If he can be consistently good like he was last night he will be in the NHL all year next year. It is a game of inches and he was inches away from scoring a couple goals and setting up at least one nice play.

Anything the Kings get going forward from Vilardi above the 3rd line should be viewed as a bonus. His skating is an eye-sore and there is still an injury risk that will always be there. If he can get it figured out and learn to play as a weak skater (others have done it) and be a 2nd liner that is great, but it's not something that should be counted on by the organization.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Kid needs to grow and develop. Look at Kaprizov. 4 years in the minors and he comes up and kills it. Look at Vilardi. 25? games in the A and isn't even making an impact. There's something to be said about developing in the minors where there's less pressure on you and you can kind of take it at your own pace.

1) Byfield isn't eligible for the AHL next year. He only had an exception this year because the OHL had no season

2) Kaprizov played in Russia. Not the minors

3) if you don't think Byfield played well, I disagree. But if you think Byfield did not play well enough, without actually watching him, then there are problems. And it's not with people who watched him.

4) while many players do need time to grow, Byfield has size and skating ability already. Most players need to grow, because they get pushed off the puck too easily, can get hurt with a simple check, or can't keep up with the play.

That's one of the driving forces to getting him time NOW. To see where he is and what he needs to work on.

If doing what's in Byfield's best interest professionally is going to have you lose faith in Blake, then I don't know what to tell you.

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Maybe so. But I want Vilardi to have success as well. Kid was rushed. Hopefully he does well, but I really think QB has to sit in the OHL next season. Let him lead his team to the championship and know what it feels like to win at that level. Let him light the league on fire in the OHL and then let him come to Ontario to learn and play well. I'm not big at rushing prospects. You just don't get what you want out of them when they're rushed. And no doubt there's gonna be pressure on the team to make the playoffs next season. Let him wait.
He's already lit the OHL on fire, he lead scoring for half the season last year as a 17 year old

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
Vilardi could be following the same path as Simmonds. Never really took off right away production wise in LA, slow footed and found a niche on the PP banging in rebounds. I just don't see a spot for Gabe as a top 2 center. Just like Turcotte next year is a big development year for both Vilardi and Turk, they need to put in the work this summer. I am expecting more from a #11 and #5 pick next year.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Kings must think very highly of Vilardi to have taken him that high while he's slow as f***.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Vilardi could be following the same path as Simmonds. Never really took off right away production wise in LA, slow footed and found a niche on the PP banging in rebounds. I just don't see a spot for Gabe as a top 2 center. Just like Turcotte next year is a big development year for both Vilardi and Turk, they need to put in the work this summer. I am expecting more from a #11 and #5 pick next year.

Wayne was like a Ferrari and Vilardi is a prius.

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
1) Byfield isn't eligible for the AHL next year. He only had an exception this year because the OHL had no season

2) Kaprizov played in Russia. Not the minors

3) if you don't think Byfield played well, I disagree. But if you think Byfield did not play well enough, without actually watching him, then there are problems. And it's not with people who watched him.

4) while many players do need time to grow, Byfield has size and skating ability already. Most players need to grow, because they get pushed off the puck too easily, can get hurt with a simple check, or can't keep up with the play.

That's one of the driving forces to getting him time NOW. To see where he is and what he needs to work on.

If doing what's in Byfield's best interest professionally is going to have you lose faith in Blake, then I don't know what to tell you.

All great points and true. Consider this: I saw every one of Team Canada's (and USA) WJC games and still have them saved and have gone back and watched them a few more times the past 4 months. 4 months ago, Byfield was playing the best 18-19 year old's in the world and was not excelling in most facets of the game. He had that one 6 pt game, but that was vs. Switzerland. I was frankly a little underwhelmed by his performance, yet it was not terrible. He was lost at times and chasing the puck carrier often, fruitlessly. (interesting to hear him say this in one of his recent interviews, how he used to try to win the puck back! and how hard he's worked to be effective on the D side)

Now, a mere 4 months later - 120 days - he's looking better than Kopitar did last night, in his first NHL game? Compare that, to where he was, 4 months ago and I'm floored.
Did he dominate the AHL? No, but he's continually gotten better, over his time there. His last month, he has taken his game to the next level...and that level is now the level
of being ready to break into the NHL. 4 shots - most on the Kings - 1 or 2 could have gone in - 67% on faceoffs, making NHL level plays, skating very well and really, not a bad shift.

At this moment, one could expect him to soak it in, work hard, learn game by game and get better in every area. So, with another 5 games on the Kings and then working this
Summer and probably getting to 6'5" 225, he's going to be ready in October. They have been calling him 6'4" 215, but he already has been measured at 6'4.75 and 222.
He's pretty lanky and can probably play at 230. He's going to get much stronger.

If you're not impressed from the difference he looked at the WJC 4 months ago, (against 18-19 yr olds) to how good he looked last night in his first NHL game,
then, show me a more impressive 4 month growth in any player out there.

edit add: also consider he got to practice 2 days with the Kings and one day with Kempe and Moore and then had the game he had last night.

Last edited:

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
Anything the Kings get going forward from Vilardi above the 3rd line should be viewed as a bonus. His skating is an eye-sore and there is still an injury risk that will always be there. If he can get it figured out and learn to play as a weak skater (others have done it) and be a 2nd liner that is great, but it's not something that should be counted on by the organization.

Well, Vilardi is on a 36 point pace this year and he hasn't even played a full season worth of games, so I think 3rd line production going forward would certainly be a disappointment. He's surely still dealing with timing and conditioning issues, as well as adjusting to NHL play. He's probably a low-end 2nd liner already, if he figures out his skating he's more of a 1/2 tweener. He's had zero back issues and he's been clobbered a few times so that's encouraging. He certainly doesn't shy away from contact.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Exactly PJB. Also folks are forgetting that these kids who played in the WJC, a lot of them just walked into Camp having not played a meaningful game in 6 months. Some were faster to shake off the rust than others. And it's been said all along that on that team Byfield was the youngest player. And now his is trajectory starting to take off. Everyone knew that he had the highest ceiling and the risk was would he ever get there? We still don't know but the eyeball test says that he's got the goods.

Gjwrams

A Know Nothing Fool
Mar 4, 2019
Maybe so. But I want Vilardi to have success as well. Kid was rushed. Hopefully he does well, but I really think QB has to sit in the OHL next season. Let him lead his team to the championship and know what it feels like to win at that level. Let him light the league on fire in the OHL and then let him come to Ontario to learn and play well. I'm not big at rushing prospects. You just don't get what you want out of them when they're rushed. And no doubt there's gonna be pressure on the team to make the playoffs next season. Let him wait.

So your suggestion is that he play in the OHL next year...THEN spend another year in Ontario after that. So not playing with the Kings until 2023-24? That a lot of simmering man!

Reactions: YAYSAY

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
All great points and true. Consider this: I saw every one of Team Canada's (and USA) WJC games and still have them saved and have gone back and watched them a few more times the past 4 months. 4 months ago, Byfield was playing the best 18-19 year old's in the world and was not excelling in most facets of the game. He had that one 6 pt game, but that was vs. Switzerland. I was frankly a little underwhelmed by his performance, yet it was not terrible. He was lost at times and chasing the puck carrier often, fruitlessly. (interesting to hear him say this in one of his recent interviews, how he used to try to win the puck back! and how hard he's worked to be effective on the D side)

Now, a mere 4 months later - 120 days - he's looking better than Kopitar did last night, in his first NHL game? Compare that, to where he was, 4 months ago and I'm floored.
Did he dominate the AHL? No, but he's continually gotten better, over his time there. His last month, he has taken his game to the next level...and that level is now the level
of being ready to break into the NHL. 4 shots - most on the Kings - 1 or 2 could have gone in - 67% on faceoffs, making NHL level plays, skating very well and really, not a bad shift.

At this moment, one could expect him to soak it in, work hard, learn game by game and get better in every area. So, with another 5 games on the Kings and then working this
Summer and probably getting to 6'5" 225, he's going to be ready in October. They have been calling him 6'4" 215, but he already has been measured at 6'4.75 and 222.
He's pretty lanky and can probably play at 230. He's going to get much stronger.

If you're not impressed from the difference he looked at the WJC 4 months ago, (against 18-19 yr olds) to how good he looked last night in his first NHL game,
I was really impressed as well. He looked like he fit right in last night and more. He didn’t score but he had some great shots and he can play the game at this level. If he continues the next 4-5 games and looks the same then the NHL is where he needs to be. I hated how we lost last night but I think we just got a seriously good player last night. Dude’s just going to get better from here IMO.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003

edit add: also consider he got to practice 2 days with the Kings and one day with Kempe and Moore and then had the game he had last night.

With Byfield at the WJC, I think he was okay. Would I have liked better numbers from second overall? Sure. But I also think he was anchored by Jack Quinn. His play improved substantially when Quinn played elsewhere.

Feel free to watch again and look at number 29 on Canada. The play frequently died with him, whatever line he was on.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

I respect your opinion, but I think you place a bit to much value on WJC (both for positive and negative). Although I will say I respect the consistency, a lot of people like to tout the positive and minimize or excuse the negative. A guy goes 1+1 over 7 games in the middle of his OHL or NCAA season and no one says a thing, just a slump, but someone does the same at the WJC and his potential is suddenly in question.

What he has done the last two seasons in the OHL and AHL and even how he looked last night in one game means more to me than that tournament. You could see the talent in the AHL even when he was adjusting to the speed of the league, and once he got comfortable he became a much more impactful player. The 30 AHL games were important and overall much better than a full-season of OHL games (if indeed the Kings would have considered that). Whatever path they would have taken had they not had the AHL option, the biggest thing for QB and the Kings for this season was being ready to be the Kings 2C by the start of next season or at the very least by the 2nd half of the year, and based on his last 20 or so games in the AHL + the NHL eye-test I think we can all be more confident that will be a reality. Especially with Vilardi really struggling in the second half of the year and Turcotte not setting the world on fire for the Reign and playing games at LW there was no one else within the organization who could play that role next season outside of Kupari making a really huge jump.

There will be pressure to make the playoffs and they can't do that without a competent 2nd line, so a lot will be expected of Byfield.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if Vilardi misfired on his off season training program.

Last year he weighed 200lbs. This year he's between 215-220lbs.

Adding muscle isn't necessarily a good thing.

I don't think there's an injury concern with him. I think he has/had tension myositis syndrome.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca

I don't think there's an injury concern with him. I think he has/had tension myositis syndrome.

I think he’s been so focused on his back for so long he worked on just getting stronger last offseason and didn’t work on anything else.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I respect your opinion, but I think you place a bit to much value on WJC (both for positive and negative). Although I will say I respect the consistency, a lot of people like to tout the positive and minimize or excuse the negative. A guy goes 1+1 over 7 games in the middle of his OHL or NCAA season and no one says a thing, just a slump, but someone does the same at the WJC and his potential is suddenly in question.

What he has done the last two seasons in the OHL and AHL and even how he looked last night in one game means more to me than that tournament. You could see the talent in the AHL even when he was adjusting to the speed of the league, and once he got comfortable he became a much more impactful player. The 30 AHL games were important and overall much better than a full-season of OHL games (if indeed the Kings would have considered that). Whatever path they would have taken had they not had the AHL option, the biggest thing for QB and the Kings for this season was being ready to be the Kings 2C by the start of next season or at the very least by the 2nd half of the year, and based on his last 20 or so games in the AHL + the NHL eye-test I think we can all be more confident that will be a reality. Especially with Vilardi really struggling in the second half of the year and Turcotte not setting the world on fire for the Reign and playing games at LW there was no one else within the organization who could play that role next season outside of Kupari making a really huge jump.

There will be pressure to make the playoffs and they can't do that without a competent 2nd line, so a lot will be expected of Byfield.

I think Kaliyev and Byfield make their way onto the LA roster next year, which will be a huge win. Our first line is probably going to stay the same, but I think something like this roster is realistic:

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Byfield - Kaliyev
Grundstrom - Anderson-Dolan - Vilardi
Andersson - Lizotte - Moore

In this scenario, we could go 7-3-1 and protect Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, Grundstrom, Andersson, Lizotte, and Moore.

With Turcotte, Kupari, Thomas, Madden, and Fagemo ready to jump into the lineup in the near future too, I wonder who ends up on the outside looking in? That whole fourth line? One more year left for Brown, does he retire?

Not sure what happens with Athanasiou, Wagner, Lemieux, or Frk either.

Will we ever see a top nine of:

Turcotte - Byfield - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Kopitar - Vilardi
Madden - Kupari - Thomas

I just want to see our prospects succeed for once!

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

I think you may be on to something. I notice that he still falls down late in shifts and I don't think it's because of skating skills, but stamina. Still a lot of subtext with his situation. This wasn't an idea offseason either. Training camp, preseason etc was compressed. Honestly, getting through this season without any major dings would be a huge victory.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Keep in mind that rookies always play with flash in their first couple games and then level off. I'm not against QB. I want him and this team to succeed, but I think that he would benefit greatly if he stayed in the minors for at least one more season. There's no need to rush him. Just look at Vilardi's development. Kid had a great stint in the AHL and then lit the NHL on fire for a few games. Now look at him. There's nothing to his game. I just think that QB should simmer in Ontario for awhile until he's really ready for the bigs. Are we gonna win the cup next year? No. Let the kid develop.

There is no point in him being in the OHL next year. Even if he doesn't play 82 games the nhl is where he should be for his development.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

depends, maybe he needed to strengthen his back.

I am still a Vilardi fan, and look forward to seeing him on the wing.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I think Kaliyev and Byfield make their way onto the LA roster next year, which will be a huge win. Our first line is probably going to stay the same, but I think something like this roster is realistic:

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Byfield - Kaliyev
Grundstrom - Anderson-Dolan - Vilardi
Andersson - Lizotte - Moore

In this scenario, we could go 7-3-1 and protect Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, Grundstrom, Andersson, Lizotte, and Moore.

With Turcotte, Kupari, Thomas, Madden, and Fagemo ready to jump into the lineup in the near future too, I wonder who ends up on the outside looking in? That whole fourth line? One more year left for Brown, does he retire?

Not sure what happens with Athanasiou, Wagner, Lemieux, or Frk either.

Will we ever see a top nine of:

Turcotte - Byfield - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Kopitar - Vilardi
Madden - Kupari - Thomas

I just want to see our prospects succeed for once!

I would take Lizotte out of there and replace with Thomas or Kupari.
Centers and wings may need a shuffle. Maybe lemiuex or Wagner on the wing too.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Jason Squirties

Apr 15, 2014

He should read this, like I did.
61dFHKJyksL.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad