Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
**** lol

No one ever swears on these boards so idk what's kosher here but it starts with an F and ends with a K (oh god plzz don't get me in trouble lol)
the power tripping HF mods be like

1687215876708.png

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Blake indicated Byfield will be at wing for the foreseeable future, which to us is one season given Kopitar's uncertainty. Hopefully, an entire season to focus on himself at wing will help him hit his rhythm and produce. Earning a healthy bridge deal is dependent on it for him.

Reactions: Schrute farms

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Blake indicated Byfield will be at wing for the foreseeable future, which to us is one season given Kopitar's uncertainty. Hopefully, an entire season to focus on himself at wing will help him hit his rhythm and produce. Earning a healthy bridge deal is dependent on it for him.
Definitely for the best to keep him there. Good way to maximize minutes, and smart to keep him in a single place for awhile

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI

Maybe next time a Kings staffer decides to talk to Pravda, someone can ask them if a C you took #2 OA being a winger in his D+4 is “slow cooking” , “part of the plan” or “on track”

Hey, who am I kidding, they will continue to tell lies left and right while the hosts never dare challenge them on anything.

Must be nice. Imagine Mark Yanetti or Glen Murray working in a Canadian market.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Tunnelvision low IQ Bustfield

This is it with QB… someone comes up with a narrative before he was drafted and it stuck. A bit like he only scored off the rush, when in fact it was just what all the highlight reels focused on.

His playmaking ability (which needs good IQ) was glossed over repeatedly. If you actually watched him before his NHL debut, beyond highlights it was obvious. He just played on a poor team. I screenshotted a post I made (It won’t let me quote it) around the draft. There’s no great insight from me here, I just put the effort in to watch him rather than rely on the regurgitated same report that everyone claimed as their own assessment (duplicated almost word-for-word).

IMG_0277.jpeg

I still stand by this one also… @lumbergh probably does too!

IMG_0275.jpeg

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
This is it with QB… someone comes up with a narrative before he was drafted and it stuck. A bit like he only scored off the rush, when in fact it was just what all the highlight reels focused on.

His playmaking ability (which needs good IQ) was glossed over repeatedly. If you actually watched him before his NHL debut, beyond highlights it was obvious. He just played on a poor team. I screenshotted a post I made (It won’t let me quote it) around the draft. There’s no great insight from me here, I just put the effort in to watch him rather than rely on the regurgitated same report that everyone claimed as their own assessment (duplicated almost word-for-word).

View attachment 781007

I still stand by this one also… @lumbergh probably does too!

View attachment 781010
I've said this before, I wouldn't trade Bustfield for stutzle right now. We're only starting to see his potential and he's going to be a fantastic player.

FrozenKing18

Goongala! Goongala!
Aug 11, 2009
SoCal
So genuine question here.. was Byfield ever projected to be a talent equal to crosby, mcdavid, drai, matthews? Did everyone expect Byfield to make an impact right away? was the 2020 draft class ever viewed as generational talents? If not, what was with all the impatience then? Surely we knew it was going to take time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
So genuine question here.. was Byfield ever projected to be a talent equal to crosby, mcdavid, drai, matthews? Did everyone expect Byfield to make an impact right away? was the 2020 draft class ever viewed as generational talents? If not, what was with all the impatience then? Surely we knew it was going to take time.

I agree not in the slightest, saw a lot of "they'll be lucky to be as good as Hall/Seguin class" takes so I mean they have to be seen as a relative success thus far

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He was never to be projected to have that impact. Just that he'd be a franchise player who needed some time and development of skills.

Reactions: FrozenKing18

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He was never to be projected to have that impact. Just that he'd be a franchise player who needed some time and development of skills.
Yep. He’s pretty much running to script if you take into consideration the illness and injury. I stand by my criticism over how they handled his development in terms of trusting him, allowing errors etc. However they pivoted perfectly with the move to LW1 and have handled if perfectly since. Even pleased that they’ve resisted putting him on the Pk to keep him focused. It’ll come soon enough

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Great article from Russel Morgan on how figure skater Barb Underhill has helped QB develop his skating technique.
LA Kings: Skating coach Barb Underhill on her work with Quinton Byfield
Great article indeed! I thought this was the key observation in the article:
“I got on the ice with him and I was kind of blown away by his athleticism, but at the same time the lack of control that he had over his body.” She saw a project in front of her and it was exciting.
The size and athleticism were always there, but part of QB's development is gaining control over his body. It's not a matter of flat out speed, but the ability to stay on your skates, the ability to move laterally while at full flight, and the control to check effectively along the boards that has made him a dangerous weapon this season. I think having a skating coach is going to not only make QB a better player, but also a more sturdy player. He's not going to get into those situations where he goes into the boards awkwardly as much when he has better balance and control.

The truly scary part is that he still has more to learn from skill-wise. He absolutely ate the goalie alive on his shootout move on Saturday, but clanked his shot off the post. His hands are still catching up to his legs. If he develops a one-timer, a more accurate shot, and/or better hands around the net, he will be a dominant force for a decade to come. The front net play can get better. I mean he's absolutely just scratching the surface. So psyched to watch this kid continue to develop.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00