Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He should read this, like I did.
61dFHKJyksL.jpg
I'm pretty sure he did.

John Sarno is one of my personal heroes. He saved me from years of chronic pain that was ruining my life.

Observing Gabe's situation and his comments, I'm pretty sure it was a TMS issue. That's why I'm not concerned at all about his back moving forward. Most people who haven't dealt with TMS wouldn't really be able to understand.

idlehnds

Jan 16, 2006
My dad swears by this book and was actually trying to find a way to get it to Vilardi when he was shut down.

I dont post on here much.. But I 100% agree with all of you. This TMS work opens you up to alot of deep stuff within. Its too bad that most people dismiss it and believe everything is just structural or a chemical imbalance or whatever. When in reality its deep emotional repression and other issues that is causing the physical issues in our bodies. The mind body syndrome and I agree that Vilardi definitely had it.

VILARGOD

Sep 16, 2020
Los Angeles, CA
I'm pretty sure he did.

John Sarno is one of my personal heroes. He saved me from years of chronic pain that was ruining my life.

Observing Gabe's situation and his comments, I'm pretty sure it was a TMS issue. That's why I'm not concerned at all about his back moving forward. Most people who haven't dealt with TMS wouldn't really be able to understand.
This would explain Vilardi's interest in Wim Hof and the videos I found of him online doing guided meditation/yoga. Buddy was trying anything and everything

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
My dad swears by this book and was actually trying to find a way to get it to Vilardi when he was shut down.
That's funny, so was I. I even tried emailing some of the Kings staff. I'm sure they thought I was an idiot/weirdo. Maybe I am.

Thought that was a joke but serious on the book? I may have to pick it up haha.
I never would have believed it had I not been through it myself.

I thought it was new age mind-over-matter type BS by a celebrity doctor. But it's real. Unconscious suppressed emotions can directly cause chronic and severe musculoskeletal pain.

Sarno's best work IMO:
https://www.amazon.com/Mindbody-Prescription-Healing-Body-Pain/dp/0446675156

This would explain Vilardi's interest in Wim Hof and the videos I found of him online doing guided meditation/yoga. Buddy was trying anything and everything
There was never much detail on what his back "injury" actually was. When he was healed, he came out and said "it's amazing what your mind will do to your body" (or something to that affect). That 100% to me sounds like a TMS issue. And if that's what it was, then it's great news because it's actually a pretty easy fix once you get it figured out.

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
That's funny, so was I. I even tried emailing some of the Kings staff. I'm sure they thought I was an idiot/weirdo. Maybe I am.

I thought it was new age mind-over-matter type BS by a celebrity doctor. But it's real. Unconscious suppressed emotions can directly cause chronic and severe musculoskeletal pain.

Sarno's best work IMO:

There was never much detail on what his back "injury" actually was. When he was healed, he came out and said "it's amazing what your mind will do to your body" (or something to that affect). That 100% to me sounds like a TMS issue. And if that's what it was, then it's great news because it's actually a pretty easy fix once you get it figured out.

Damn, maybe it happened after all. Sarno for the win!

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016

Remember when Todd McLellan was talking about the trade deadline and he said you hear all these insiders talking about what's happening behind closed doors and what they predict will happen... and how if you're actually in some of those rooms it's kind of funny because none of what they're saying is actually accurate?

Remember how everybody had all these ideas about who would or wouldn't get traded and then Jeff Carter gets traded out of the blue and nobody saw it coming or if they did they didn't say anything about it?

Apply that principle to every single facet of the organization.

Reactions: BringTheReign

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Remember when Todd McLellan was talking about the trade deadline and he said you hear all these insiders talking about what's happening behind closed doors and what they predict will happen... and how if you're actually in some of those rooms it's kind of funny because none of what they're saying is actually accurate?

Remember how everybody had all these ideas about who would or wouldn't get traded and then Jeff Carter gets traded out of the blue and nobody saw it coming or if they did they didn't say anything about it?

Apply that principle to every single facet of the organization.
I'm sure you know something I don't about this :)

I think the principle you're referring to applies to pretty much everything in this world. News/politics/media in general. If you've ever been close to any news story, you know what gets reported, rumored & gossiped about is usually totally different than what's actually going on.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
I'm sure you know something I don't about this :)

Not enough to be interesting. I just know that fans are frequently totally convinced that they know what's happening and what the solution is and they're usually very very wrong.

EDIT : and to be clear I include myself in the group "fans"

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019

Sarno's best work IMO:

The back injuries were most likely stress fracture related. Its very common in young tall guys who are still growing. It has no moment of injury, rather the players wake up the next day with soreness. Its caused by high energy rotational forces through the shoulders. The recovery is 9-12 months of rest and re-injury is common. The only "cure" is age really, the bones harden up the older they get.

Its very common in young fast bowling cricketers. Both sports have the same quick rotational upper body movements. I know most people on here are lucky to even know what that sport is but the injuries, treatment and timelines always play out very similar to what Vilardi went through, it just that sport is more open with the type of injuries. If you want to see a worst case scenario google "Pat Cummins". Generational international player at age 19, didn't play again until age 26. He went through the same thing as Vilardi, got shut down for 9 months, came back for a few games and then got shut down for another year except he did that 6 times in a row. Imagine this board if Vilardi went through that. His outcome was a good one though, hes lasted 6 years since then with no injuries.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think Kaliyev and Byfield make their way onto the LA roster next year, which will be a huge win. Our first line is probably going to stay the same, but I think something like this roster is realistic:

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Byfield - Kaliyev
Grundstrom - Anderson-Dolan - Vilardi
Andersson - Lizotte - Moore

In this scenario, we could go 7-3-1 and protect Kopitar, Kempe, Iafallo, Grundstrom, Andersson, Lizotte, and Moore.

With Turcotte, Kupari, Thomas, Madden, and Fagemo ready to jump into the lineup in the near future too, I wonder who ends up on the outside looking in? That whole fourth line? One more year left for Brown, does he retire?

Not sure what happens with Athanasiou, Wagner, Lemieux, or Frk either.

Will we ever see a top nine of:

Turcotte - Byfield - Kaliyev
Fagemo - Kopitar - Vilardi
Madden - Kupari - Thomas

I just want to see our prospects succeed for once!

My best guess

Iafallo -Kopitar - New Player
AA -Byfield -Vilardi
Kempe -JAD-Brown
Lemieux- Kupari- Moore

Extras: Wagner, Grundstrom, Lizotte

Bjornfot - Doughty
New Player - Roy
Anderson - Walker

Extra: Clague, Strand, MacD

Obviously someone is being drafted by Seattle but it's not going to have a major effect on the lineup, even if Clague isn't claimed they still need to get a 2nd pairing left-shot guy to pair with Roy. If Moore is claimed it's simply next man up between the extra forwards. If it's Walker then it's Strand.

I think atleast one and possibly both of the new players are FA's, but if a trade is made I don't expect anyone on my projected lineup to be included in either deal with the possible exception of Kupari. The Kings will be trading picks or Reign guys.

This is the year some training wheels have to come off and some younger guys start to establish themselves as potential difference makers.

Byfield has to be the 2C, it's not impossible guys, plenty of other highly touted teenagers have done it (and more) recently, it's a lot of pressure but he has a lot of skill.

Bjornfot has been very good but in year 3 it's time to really establish himself as Doughty's long-term partner. Sign or trade for a top 100 d-man to play with Roy and put Mikey on the third pair with Walker and suddenly you have the look of a defense that could be pretty good next year.

Kupari needs to establish himself as an NHL player this season and should be expected to win the 4th line job out of camp and grow from there. He doesn't have to be great right away, but he should be able to beat out Lizotte.

Kaliyev could easily win a 2nd line wing job out of camp but I think the hope would be that he has a dominant start to the year for Ontario and either pushes AA and Vilardi or is there if either guy falters or anyone gets hurt. I think we will see some flashes this coming season but the Arty party probably really gets rolling in 2022-2023.

I think AA and the Kings have a handshake agreement that will be signed after the expansion draft, no reason for Blake to not trade AA unless he planned on keeping him.

Wagner, Lemieux and Grundstrom are all proven NHL players under contract who likely have very little chance of being drafted by Seattle. Lizotte isn't under contract but will probably be tendered. Lizotte will be the 12th-14th best forward on this team, and that is cool. Lias will be the interesting one as far as the depth players, there is a chance as a former top 10 who has been pretty dominant in the AHL that Seattle could take him, but more than likely not. The Kings would probably have to give him a one-way to get him to play in North America. He's probably less than 50/50 to be back.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The back injuries were most likely stress fracture related. Its very common in young tall guys who are still growing. It has no moment of injury, rather the players wake up the next day with soreness. Its caused by high energy rotational forces through the shoulders. The recovery is 9-12 months of rest and re-injury is common. The only "cure" is age really, the bones harden up the older they get.

Its very common in young fast bowling cricketers. Both sports have the same quick rotational upper body movements. I know most people on here are lucky to even know what that sport is but the injuries, treatment and timelines always play out very similar to what Vilardi went through, it just that sport is more open with the type of injuries. If you want to see a worst case scenario google "Pat Cummins". Generational international player at age 19, didn't play again until age 26. He went through the same thing as Vilardi, got shut down for 9 months, came back for a few games and then got shut down for another year except he did that 6 times in a row. Imagine this board if Vilardi went through that. His outcome was a good one though, hes lasted 6 years since then with no injuries.
I remember that stress fracture / Spondylolysis was the common theory around here. There was even a guy who made a YouTube video on it.

But given Vilardi's comments, I'm skeptical that was the issue. Although I fully acknowledge that I'm bias because of my own experience with TMS.

Back issues can be kind of nebulous and there can be overlapping physical and psychogenic issues.

Statto

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 9, 2014

I’m a huge Cricket fan, a more sophisticated tactical version of baseball, and I agree. What a talent Cummins was at 19...

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I didn't watch much of the game, how was game #2 for Byfield?

I thought he was fine, but not as noticeable his first game. I seem to recall one quality chance and a couple confident plays with the puck. Kempe and Athanasiou were his linemates, and I just don't like either one's style for Byfield. It also doesn't help that both Kempe and Athanasiou were pretty pathetic last night. I think Byfield needs players who can do some work along the walls and keep possession in the zone since that's not necessarily his strong suit. Moore-Byfield-Vilardi is what I'm hoping for at some point.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I didn't watch much of the game, how was game #2 for Byfield?

He seems a little timid, non-aggressive, and doesn't fully know how to utilize his size. Although, opponents definitely notice his size and so far have respected it. His skating looks a little clunky but that is just due to his size and he doesn't have any trouble keeping up with the play so the speed is there.

Obviously, this all sounds identical to a young Kopitar when he started. His stickhandling, vision, and instincts are on point. He had a couple of nice reverses and has no trouble finding his teammates out there, he keeps dishing out passes that no one expects.

So far, his best assets imo is his stick and tenacity. Once he gets going he will be a takeaway machine. His reach is amazing and he has a knack for always keeping his stick in play. He backchecks with determination and so far has created several turnovers.

One thing I would like to see him get better on is his positioning, which isn't horrible, you can tell he is a natural center and will excel there, but despite it being the worst game I've seen from the Kings and everyone sucking, I felt there were several times when teammates were looking to give him the puck and he wasn't open to receive a pass. However, in his defense, there were a lot of really dumb passes made last night...

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
My best guess

Iafallo -Kopitar - New Player
AA -Byfield -Vilardi
Kempe -JAD-Brown
Lemieux- Kupari- Moore

Extras: Wagner, Grundstrom, Lizotte

Bjornfot - Doughty
New Player - Roy
Anderson - Walker

Extra: Clague, Strand, MacD

Obviously someone is being drafted by Seattle but it's not going to have a major effect on the lineup, even if Clague isn't claimed they still need to get a 2nd pairing left-shot guy to pair with Roy. If Moore is claimed it's simply next man up between the extra forwards. If it's Walker then it's Strand.

I think atleast one and possibly both of the new players are FA's, but if a trade is made I don't expect anyone on my projected lineup to be included in either deal with the possible exception of Kupari. The Kings will be trading picks or Reign guys.

This is the year some training wheels have to come off and some younger guys start to establish themselves as potential difference makers.

Byfield has to be the 2C, it's not impossible guys, plenty of other highly touted teenagers have done it (and more) recently, it's a lot of pressure but he has a lot of skill.

Bjornfot has been very good but in year 3 it's time to really establish himself as Doughty's long-term partner. Sign or trade for a top 100 d-man to play with Roy and put Mikey on the third pair with Walker and suddenly you have the look of a defense that could be pretty good next year.

Kupari needs to establish himself as an NHL player this season and should be expected to win the 4th line job out of camp and grow from there. He doesn't have to be great right away, but he should be able to beat out Lizotte.

Kaliyev could easily win a 2nd line wing job out of camp but I think the hope would be that he has a dominant start to the year for Ontario and either pushes AA and Vilardi or is there if either guy falters or anyone gets hurt. I think we will see some flashes this coming season but the Arty party probably really gets rolling in 2022-2023.

I think AA and the Kings have a handshake agreement that will be signed after the expansion draft, no reason for Blake to not trade AA unless he planned on keeping him.

Wagner, Lemieux and Grundstrom are all proven NHL players under contract who likely have very little chance of being drafted by Seattle. Lizotte isn't under contract but will probably be tendered. Lizotte will be the 12th-14th best forward on this team, and that is cool. Lias will be the interesting one as far as the depth players, there is a chance as a former top 10 who has been pretty dominant in the AHL that Seattle could take him, but more than likely not. The Kings would probably have to give him a one-way to get him to play in North America. He's probably less than 50/50 to be back.

Just a few thoughts on your post.
Moore is not getting claimed. If we don't protect our most versatile player that looks to be a solid piece going forward, then this GM is not playing with a full deck.

AA22 is a RFA, depending on his contract demands he might be left off of the protection list. The deal should of been signed already, got to think they want a better evaluation of hm. If he's not top 6 then where does he fit etc...etc... Maybe the cap space saved for not signing him can be used to get a true top 6, who knows what they are thinking but AA should be signed\protetcted if it's a decent deal.

As for Lias Andersson, I feel they are cleverly slow playing him. Too good for the AHL now and starting to get some looks in the NHL. No way they will let him go after paying a hefty price for him while seeing his progression this year. He also said he is happy here and wants to stay in the NHL.

Byfield does not have to be the 2C. He'll have just turned 19 in August. He can play 3C, ease him in. We also need to get Vilardi one more full summer of training to adapt to the NHL. The 2nd and 3rd center spots will be between these 2 guys next year. I just feel JAD will be lost in all this and force to play with scrums on the 4th line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad