Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
I thought he was fine, but not as noticeable his first game. I seem to recall one quality chance and a couple confident plays with the puck. Kempe and Athanasiou were his linemates, and I just don't like either one's style for Byfield. It also doesn't help that both Kempe and Athanasiou were pretty pathetic last night. I think Byfield needs players who can do some work along the walls and keep possession in the zone since that's not necessarily his strong suit. Moore-Byfield-Vilardi is what I'm hoping for at some point.

I kind of like having Moore on a line with Byfield right now. Moore seems to do the dirty work and just is a better fit that AA on that line. Someone has to play that role. It's almost a bit like the role Iafallo plays. Moore is quickly becoming a guy that you want on this team because he can do a lot of things. He is never going to be a sexy player but he is a guy that you win games with.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Byfield looked great tonight. This is the first time I've felt pretty optimistic about our second line center since Carter in '17 before the injury I think. I had high hopes for Vilardi and there's still time, but Byfield looks better in limited viewings.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that Byfield's two best games with the Kings have been with Moore on his wing. That's not to detract from Byfield at all since he was impressive with his agility and puck possession himself, but Moore's effort, elusiveness, and puck possession abilities tend to help whatever line he's on be effective.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I don't think it's too much of a coincidence that Byfield's two best games with the Kings have been with Moore on his wing. That's not to detract from Byfield at all since he was impressive with his agility and puck possession himself, but Moore's effort, elusiveness, and puck possession abilities tend to help whatever line he's on be effective.

100% true. Moore probably wins more puck battles than anyone on the team. That alone makes him very valuable on any line and a must to be protected in the expansion draft. On that note, Byfield's play along the half wall when he shrugged off a Coyote hanging on his back and then the spin back in the opposite direction while maintaining possession is something that you don't see at his size. Once he develops man strength, he's going to be next level.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
So Byfields played 4 games already and we have what 6 games left, does he only get 2 more games or play out the year? Kids freakin 18 and looks like he belongs I'm guessing he only gets his limited 6 games and then get ready for next year. No way he's not on this team in '21-'22

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
So Byfields played 4 games already and we have what 6 games left, does he only get 2 more games or play out the year? Kids freakin 18 and looks like he belongs I'm guessing he only gets his limited 6 games and then get ready for next year. No way he's not on this team in '21-'22

The team won’t want to burn a year of his ELC, especially this late in the season and just so he can get in an extra 4 games.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Agreed. Do you notice that already defenders back off of him because they respect his puck possession and ability to find open teammates? They do the same for Kopi so watching it happen for an 18 year old is interesting.

Yes, he's got 2 games left then he's going back to Ontario to play in the mini-tournament.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
You mean call up Arty? A line of Moore QB and Kaliyev would be something to watch next year.
I know there's a lot riding on two rookies, but this would be fun:

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Moore-Byfield-Kaliyev
Andersson-Vilardi-Kempe
Lemieux-JAD-Grundstrom/Wagner

Reactions: dick341

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

58vKNx.gif

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
I know there's a lot riding on two rookies, but this would be fun:

Iafallo-Kopitar-Brown
Moore-Byfield-Kaliyev
Andersson-Vilardi-Kempe
Lemieux-JAD-Grundstrom/Wagner

No doubt be fun to watch but I feel we need a vet somewhere in that lineup. Not sure QB can handle 82 games as a 2C just yet and Brown could be gone at the TDL. Vilardi is the wildcard again, is he a center, a #2C, or do we move him to RW? After Brown we have no RW shooting wingers in this lineup.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
No doubt be fun to watch but I feel we need a vet somewhere in that lineup. Not sure QB can handle 82 games as a 2C just yet and Brown could be gone at the TDL. Vilardi is the wildcard again, is he a center, a #2C, or do we move him to RW? After Brown we have no RW shooting wingers in this lineup.
I don't put a lot of weight on right hand-left hand shot, but a line of Andersson-Vilardi-Kempe is effectively three centers, with Vilardi as a right-hand shot.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW

Vilardi is likely going to end up on the wing, but I think a lot of that hinges on Turcotte. If he develops and ends up on the team that can allow GV to move to the outside. There just isn't anyone else to slot in the middle right now. If that happens I'd like to see what Vilardi-Turcotte-Kempe/Iafallo could do.

Turcotte really is the wild card. If he pans out, I think Kopitar-Byfield-Turcotte-JAD down the middle would be the ultimate goal and a handful for just about any opposition. It's easier to bring in wingers to fill out those spots if needed. If he doesn't pan out, it's going to cost substantially more to fill out that last center spot.

lumbergh

Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The Kings also have Martin Frk as an option if having a right hand shot is really important. Frk has also had some good chemistry with Vilardi in the past. I hope Kaliyev makes the team ahead of Frk, but I wouldn't be averse to seeing Frk blast it from the point on the PP next season.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I don't put a lot of weight on right hand-left hand shot, but a line of Andersson-Vilardi-Kempe is effectively three centers, with Vilardi as a right-hand shot.
A lot of Kempes points come from his off wing so maybe hes a good option on the right side.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
100% true. Moore probably wins more puck battles than anyone on the team. That alone makes him very valuable on any line and a must to be protected in the expansion draft. On that note, Byfield's play along the half wall when he shrugged off a Coyote hanging on his back and then the spin back in the opposite direction while maintaining possession is something that you don't see at his size. Once he develops man strength, he's going to be next level.

After Trevor Lewis winning the Kings' Unsung Hero Award - almost annually - Moore should win it, this year. Yes, the way Byfield spun and shrugged off Coyote's on the wall and maintaining possession, was so impressive.
Quick footwork and elusive too...agree - when develops man strength, he will almost be one of a kind at 6'5" 230 and tough to contain. I recall Yannetti saying "he's not that strong - yet". That was true. I've never seen 220 lbs
look so lanky.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad