Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Very encouraging game. Looked a threat all night, great wheels but awkward stride. He got caught along the wall taking a bit too much time, got stripped clean leading directly to a goal, but I don't mind that at all. Learning the consequences of NHL speed isn't going to hurt him at all if he makes that read faster next time.

But there was a really positive tone to this game from the kids. Byfield, Vilardi, Andersson, Bjornfot and Anderson, and the older young vets in Kempe, Roy, Moore and Lemieux all played well. Shame the vets up front let them down.

I took a lot of joy from this game. The clear delineation from the fading past to the imminent future is the first real positive sign in a rebuild.

crassbonanza

Fire Luc
Sep 28, 2017
It was interesting watching his first game compared to Kaliyev. Byfield looked so much more comfortable overall, but still had some speed of the game issues. I think the additional time in the A really benefited him. I think he is close to if not ready for full time play.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I'm just glad that he was centering a line with some skill and high work rate. Looked very comfortable on the PP and even out there on the PK taking and winning a face off.

Reactions: YP44

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
It was interesting watching his first game compared to Kaliyev. Byfield looked so much more comfortable overall, but still had some speed of the game issues. I think the additional time in the A really benefited him. I think he is close to if not ready for full time play.
Thought he looked better than Kupari as well.

Reactions: Lt Dan

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
If a #2 OA pick is back in junior in his D+2 it would be very concerning.

I still think had it been a normal year and the Kings been forced to choose the OHL or NHL he would have been up with the Kings all year. I think this worked out well for the Kings with QB and AK being able to play in the AHL, the Kings probably benefitted more from the OHL being shut down than any other team.

Kind of reminds me of how the lockout year really helped Brown (and probably that whole draft class, really). Glad they could take bad circumstances and make them really work out.

good on mcllelan to not bury him on the fourth line.

And playing him 17 minutes instead of 7.

Yep, props where props are due, TM used Byfield like the impact player he's supposed to be.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
TMac has done pretty good with our line combinations. He isn't as moody as the past three or four coaches we've had and isn't quick to split chemistry up. TMac has more rope to me than many players. They gotta get experience and justify on being here. This team's performance is where it would be under almost anyone. They have no experience and don't stack well against most of the teams in the league. It's going to be a while yet before we can expect them to push opponents around.

Reactions: Choralone

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Uh whaaa? QB looks ready to be penciled in as 2C on a semi-permanent basis. I'm gonna be bummed in 6 games when he goes back to Ontario.
Kid needs to grow and develop. Look at Kaprizov. 4 years in the minors and he comes up and kills it. Look at Vilardi. 25? games in the A and isn't even making an impact. There's something to be said about developing in the minors where there's less pressure on you and you can kind of take it at your own pace.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
If QB gets a roster spot next season, I will have lost all faith in Blake.
200.gif

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Are you making a point that he still needs to earn a slot rather than being penciled in now, or that he shouldn’t be in the NHL period? If it’s the latter, I feel like we’ve been watching a different player.
It's the latter. And I don't watch any games because I don't have the time nor the ability to. But just knowing that QB is only 18 and still developing. This org shouldn't rush players. We have the 2 cups in recent memory so we should have time to develop our players and it's not like we have to sell out every game. Covid has kind of relieved us of those pressures. But I really think that they should take their time with the kids and not rush them. It doesn't matter what their numbers are in the A, but that they learn how to win and to handle pressure. If they can't handle pressure at the AHL level, then they can't handle it at the NHL level.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kid needs to grow and develop. Look at Kaprizov. 4 years in the minors and he comes up and kills it. Look at Vilardi. 25? games in the A and isn't even making an impact. There's something to be said about developing in the minors where there's less pressure on you and you can kind of take it at your own pace.

Kaprizov was not playing in the minors.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
It's the latter. And I don't watch any games because I don't have the time nor the ability to. But just knowing that QB is only 18 and still developing. This org shouldn't rush players. We have the 2 cups in recent memory so we should have time to develop our players and it's not like we have to sell out every game. Covid has kind of relieved us of those pressures. But I really think that they should take their time with the kids and not rush them. It doesn't matter what their numbers are in the A, but that they learn how to win and to handle pressure. If they can't handle pressure at the AHL level, then they can't handle it at the NHL level.
Yeah, maybe you should have watched the game last night.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

maybe try watching the next 5 games he plays in and then make your decision. Was Doughty rushed? some players are able to play the NHL game at a younger age.

Last night QB was very noticeable in a great way and was not sheltered. It was against the Ducks, but if LA wants to try and get into the playoffs net season they have a better shot with him in the lineup IMO.

Side note: if he was sent down (he won't be) would he have to go to the ohl again next year? How is that good for his development. It's like me constantly playing NHL 21 on easy and winning 30-0.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I completely 100% agree that players should not be rushed, especially an 18 year old but he was clearly one of our best players yesterday. He’s not being rushed at all, he looks very ready for his ‘cup of coffee’ and with a summer of more strength building he’s going to be good to go. He has progressed to being a dominant AHL player and putting him in the OHL at this point, the AHL won’t be an option, will stunt his growth if anything.

Reactions: YP44

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
maybe try watching the next 5 games he plays in and then make your decision. Was Doughty rushed? some players are able to play the NHL game at a younger age.

Last night QB was very noticeable in a great way and was not sheltered. It was against the Ducks, but if LA wants to try and get into the playoffs net season they have a better shot with him in the lineup IMO.

Side note: if he was sent down (he won't be) would he have to go to the ohl again next year? How is that good for his development. It's like me constantly playing NHL 21 on easy and winning 30-0.
Keep in mind that rookies always play with flash in their first couple games and then level off. I'm not against QB. I want him and this team to succeed, but I think that he would benefit greatly if he stayed in the minors for at least one more season. There's no need to rush him. Just look at Vilardi's development. Kid had a great stint in the AHL and then lit the NHL on fire for a few games. Now look at him. There's nothing to his game. I just think that QB should simmer in Ontario for awhile until he's really ready for the bigs. Are we gonna win the cup next year? No. Let the kid develop.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Keep in mind that rookies always play with flash in their first couple games and then level off. I'm not against QB. I want him and this team to succeed, but I think that he would benefit greatly if he stayed in the minors for at least one more season. There's no need to rush him. Just look at Vilardi's development. Kid had a great stint in the AHL and then lit the NHL on fire for a few games. Now look at him. There's nothing to his game. I just think that QB should simmer in Ontario for awhile until he's really ready for the bigs. Are we gonna win the cup next year? No. Let the kid develop.

That's the problem, he can't play in the AHL next season (assuming the OHL starts on-time).

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Vilardi is far from the norm on prospect development. Few prospects have ever been through what he has

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Vilardi is far from the norm on prospect development. Few prospects have ever been through what he has
Maybe so. But I want Vilardi to have success as well. Kid was rushed. Hopefully he does well, but I really think QB has to sit in the OHL next season. Let him lead his team to the championship and know what it feels like to win at that level. Let him light the league on fire in the OHL and then let him come to Ontario to learn and play well. I'm not big at rushing prospects. You just don't get what you want out of them when they're rushed. And no doubt there's gonna be pressure on the team to make the playoffs next season. Let him wait.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Maybe so. But I want Vilardi to have success as well. Kid was rushed. Hopefully he does well, but I really think QB has to sit in the OHL next season. Let him lead his team to the championship and know what it feels like to win at that level. Let him light the league on fire in the OHL and then let him come to Ontario to learn and play well. I'm not big at rushing prospects. You just don't get what you want out of them when they're rushed. And no doubt there's gonna be pressure on the team to make the playoffs next season. Let him wait.
You can also frustrate them and ruin them if they aren't properly challenged

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad