Prospect Info: Quinton Byfield (2nd Overall 2020 Draft) Discussion part II

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
The mayor is not exactly going out on a limb in saying QB is going to be called up.

He is the Kings most important prospect in a dozen years, he has played well enough in the AHL to warrant the call-up, he is expected to make the team next season, he isn't going to lose a year off his ELC and the Kings and Reign are no longer in contention for the post-season. It would be totally shocking if he wasn't called up.

Kaliyev should be called up as well, as there should be an expectation that he is atleast going to compete for a roster spot next fall.
Yes and add Thomas to that list

Peter James Bond III

CHROMIAK COMETH
Jul 8, 2020
I think 3 of the 4 callups would be: QB, Kupari, Kaliyev and Fagemo, with Thomas being the 5th. It's actually refreshing there is some real talent in the wings and did not include
Turcotte and Madden.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
pre-injury wasn't Madden looking really good in Ontario?

In preseason he was a goal scoring machine. Then once the regular season started, he was snake-bit in goal scoring like the rest of the team. He often looked dangerous prior to his concussion.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Not really sure it's factually correct to say the Kings slow-play prospects. The Byfield situation is unique because they had the AHL available when it normally isn't for a teenager from the CHL.

Since this management/scouting staff took over in 2006 we have had Kopitar(19), Bernier(19), Doughty(18), Moller(19), Schenn(19), Clifford(19), JAD(19), Bjornfot(18), Kaliyev(19) and now soon to be Byfield(18) have all played in the NHL as teenagers. That list includes four guys not taken in the 1st round, that is rare for NHL teams to do.

They signed Mikey Anderson at 19 and put him in the NHL after not even a full year in the minors, they signed Turcotte a year earlier than most of his peers were signed. Kupari was brought over to NA at 19 and saw NHL action at 20.

For a team that hasn't picked a ton in the Top 10, I think the Kings have been pretty aggressive about giving shots to younger prospects who earned the shot.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
WOW.
John Hoven | The Mayor
@mayorNHL

Byfield's confidence has been soaring. That was one of his best games carrying the puck. You're seeing why he was drafted for his full game. Learning curve has gone from a struggling plus-minus player to a dominant player. Loved his game today, liked it for a while too. -- Wrobo
6:27 PM · Ap

Confidence just keeps building. Those quotes were great. Wrobo seems to have nailed it on a couple of guys, put it into words better than we have, gonna find the postgame quotes after coffee

Reactions: lumbergh

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Good stuff on prospect development, few top guys: Wrobo talks Byfield on Eve of Call-up to Kings, Plus Thoughts on Turcotte and Kaliyev

But also re: Byfield: "When we first started off with QB, there was a guy who was finding his routes at the pro game, he was finding his timing; the detail things like being a little bit heavier in battles, one hand on the stick in battles, as opposed to when he needed two. All these things still need work, and he is gonna have to keep figuring them out, but the learning curve has gone from a guy that struggled to [produce] points, his plus-minus was down there probably near the worst in the league, and now he’s a dominant player. I loved his game today and I’ve liked it for a while now. He was outstanding. He still needs to work on some things too. He gets into the scoring zones, we talked to him a lot about his needing an assassin’s mentality in the scoring zones. Last night, he passed up two 2-on-1 opportunities and I thought he should have driven both of them or tried to pipe it himself. We’re still working through a couple of things there, but a tremendous young man and couldn’t be happier for him. "

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I am excited to see Byfield, but I am nervous about him entering this roster as his confidence and performance are soaring. Maybe it is what the Kings need, but I am just hoping his spark doesn't get snuffed out at the end of a losing season :P Either way, it's gotta start somewhere.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I am excited to see Byfield, but I am nervous about him entering this roster as his confidence and performance are soaring. Maybe it is what the Kings need, but I am just hoping his spark doesn't get snuffed out at the end of a losing season :P Either way, it's gotta start somewhere.

maybe he will be the spark the team needs

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Wow - glad to see this moment happen. Can't wait to see Byfield in action. An important reason to keep watching the games down the stretch now that we are out of playoff contention. It would be nice to see Kaliyev get a few games as well.

Peter James Bond II

BRANDT CLARKE 23-24 CALDER
Mar 5, 2015
Is Byfield playing tonight?

Based on what Todd said, no....

Monday: LA Kings Projected Lineup vs. Anaheim Ducks

"""""""""On any immediate plans for Byfield and the importance of learning from Byfield
Well, that’s one of the reasons why he’s here right now. He had a real good run at the American League level, he’s learned a lot about the pro game, the coaches did a tremendous job with him to this point down there, and he’s responded appropriately. He’s up here this week on the taxi squad. … It will give him a chance to be around our team, the coaching staff, future teammates — and, in particular, Anze – to absorb it all throughout the week. Then we’ll see, as time goes on, how and where he fits in.""""""""""""""""

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->