Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakux

Feb 5, 2013
Your argument was that Karpat (a European CLUB team) could beat the Oilers (an Nhl CLUB team) 6 or 7 games out of 10.

There is no data to support this statement. These teams have never played each other. We can only look to analogue data of
i) Karpat vs NHL teams
ii) Edmonton vs Euro league teams, and
iii) Other NHL teams vs Euro league teams (each as analogues for Edmonton and Karpat respectively)

The performance of your national team is of zero relevance. Nobody is arguing that a concentration of Finland's best players is not formidable. The argument is about club teams vs club teams, where talent is more dispersed.

On i) I am not aware of any data, google did not help, please bring some to the table if any exists
On ii) In 2019 Edmonton played Cologne and beat them. So they are 1 and 0 vs euro club teams
On iii) the vast predominance of data suggests that Euro club teams from any euro club league are not competitive with NHL clubs, even when said NHL clubs are not playing their top lineup and the Euro club teams are playing at home (and one would presume are motivated to "make a point" about their competitiveness in front of their fans).

You've brought no relevant data. Just backhanded insults. The data in this debate does not support your assertion. Game over.

Why are you talking about data? No data in the world could tell you the outcome. You're just gonna have to keep arguing until that best out of 10 games duel between Kärpät and Oilers becomes real

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Stop with the f***ing EU vs NA argument and get back to talking about how crap Pulju in your opinion is. Currently, he's doing fine in the points department but his actual game hasn't really looked all that great IMO.
We'll see if he'll start actually dominating versus steadily contributing while struggling with actual 5v5 play.

bigbabybuda

Feb 19, 2014
Canada
This is the funniest thread I've ever seen on this board. I can't believe that a few people actually believe any team outside of the NHL would win a series against the Oilers. Kapart is a fine hockey club and I actually enjoy watching European hockey from all the top leagues in Europe but it's absurd to believe that they are anywhere comparable to an NHL team.

If there was actually anything meaningful on the line and Edmonton dressed their real roster they would shell Kapart on any size ice surface. Maybe, Maybe if their goalie somehow stood on his head Kapart might steal a game or 2 in a 20 game series but I highly doubt that is even possible. If you took their team and planted it in the NHL this season I'd bet shit loads of money they finished the season with less than 20 points and I'd bet a good amount less than 10...

To the topic of this thread. I'm very excited to see Jesse putting up some points and looking solid in Finland. He's only 21 and I for one haven't written him off from succeeding in the NHL at all. I've always liked his skill set and loved watching the big 3 Fins destroy the WJC a few years back. I hope he gets outta Edmonton where I don't think he was given enough of a chance to succeed or developed at all properly for a player of his pedegree. Good luck to him...

P.S I didn't even look at the name of the person advocating for Kapart beating the oilers but I would like to buy some of whatever you're smoking. P.M me a price and email address to send the cash and I'll send my mailing address.

Reactions: Keeptdos and Jaska

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
so? one tournament proves nothing
they finished 4th and 5th the previous 2 years

the Liiga is like 3rd tier behind the KHL and SHL
And then previous year the Swiss team that had mostly players from the NLA went all the way to the final in the WHC and they lost the gold barely in a shootout against a Swedish team stacked with NHL players. Some North Americans are really seriously underestimating the level that top class European leagues play at.

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
This is the funniest thread I've ever seen on this board. I can't believe that a few people actually believe any team outside of the NHL would win a series against the Oilers. Kapart is a fine hockey club and I actually enjoy watching European hockey from all the top leagues in Europe but it's absurd to believe that they are anywhere comparable to an NHL team.

If there was actually anything meaningful on the line and Edmonton dressed their real roster they would shell Kapart on any size ice surface. Maybe, Maybe if their goalie somehow stood on his head Kapart might steal a game or 2 in a 20 game series but I highly doubt that is even possible. If you took their team and planted it in the NHL this season I'd bet **** loads of money they finished the season with less than 20 points and I'd bet a good amount less than 10...

To the topic of this thread. I'm very excited to see Jesse putting up some points and looking solid in Finland. He's only 21 and I for one haven't written him off from succeeding in the NHL at all. I've always liked his skill set and loved watching the big 3 Fins destroy the WJC a few years back. I hope he gets outta Edmonton where I don't think he was given enough of a chance to succeed or developed at all properly for a player of his pedegree. Good luck to him...

P.S I didn't even look at the name of the person advocating for Kapart beating the oilers but I would like to buy some of whatever you're smoking. P.M me a price and email address to send the cash and I'll send my mailing address.
?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
It is honestly absolutely fascinating that people who can’t spell the team’s name even close to correct somehow magically know what level that team plays at. Makes it pretty clear that the person hasn’t seen Kärpät (or even any Liiga team) play in one single game even, and that they have massive bias telling them of what level of a team Kärpät after all is. The credibility is about zero to discuss about a team, their play and level of play, when you don’t have a clue how to even spell that team’s name.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goldmember

tellermine

Oct 21, 2018
Köln, Helsinki, Lappeenranta
It will be interesting to see Puljujärvi after a while in Liiga.
Start of the season should be easy for him as teams are still getting defence going.

But after that when there is not so mutch time and space.
Thats Puljujärvis main problem.
If he has substamcial problems with it in Liiga, NHL value will drop.

And yes, as he plays in almost NHL level team he will get easy points, but we have to look past them.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
It is honestly absolutely fascinating that people who can’t spell the team’s name even close to correct somehow magically know what level that team plays at. Makes it pretty clear that the person hasn’t seen Kärpät (or even any Liiga team) play in one single game even, and that they have massive bias telling them of what level of a team Kärpät after all is. The credibility is about zero to discuss about a team, their play and level of play, when you don’t have a clue how to even spell that team’s name.

I've never watched a single minute of Carparts in the Finish league and I probably never will.

I can still say with great certainty that while Carparts may be a clutch team, they lack the motor and drive to compete against NHL clubs.

You don't have to be an astronaut to know that the earth isn't flat.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I've never watched a single minute of Carparts in the Finish league and I probably never will.

I can still say with great certainty that while Carparts may be a clutch team, they lack the motor and drive to compete against NHL clubs.

And you only need a bit of common sense to recognise people full of North American arrogance.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
And you only need a bit of common sense to recognise people full of North American arrogance.

Lol. Going all out on the personal attacks because you know I'm absolutely speaking the truth eh?

Its not arrogance. It's just stating the facts.

The lead scorer from the Finnish league last season couldn't crack the Swedish Elite League, and had 6 points in 44 AHL games.

The Finnish league is probably a fun league to follow, but its not on the level of the NHL.

Canadians like watching CFL football, but you don't see any of them claiming that a CFL squad could compete in the NFL.

Just accept reality.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Lol. Going all out on the personal attacks because you know I'm absolutely speaking the truth eh?

Its not arrogance. It's just stating the facts.

The lead scorer from the Finnish league last season couldn't crack the Swedish Elite League, and had 6 points in 44 AHL games.

The Finnish league is probably a fun league to follow, but its not on the level of the NHL.

Canadians like watching CFL football, but you don't see any of them claiming that a CFL squad could compete in the NFL.

Just accept reality.
So now you know something through some individual’s stats? Shows me that you have absolutely ZERO understanding about European hockey and what level the hockey is in different countries here. You know that Erik Karlsson had only barely a better PPG in Liiga than in his best NHL seasons during the lockout. There are other examples too. Individuals don’t really even tell much. Watch the games and see the results that European based teams get in the WHC tournaments against NHL player stacked teams. And first of all - quit with your North American arrogance. This is not a personal attack, just a fact about your behaviour here, as you clearly know absolutely nothing about European hockey. So quit throwing the arrogant BS here when you know absolutely nothing of the subject.

Reactions: Have

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014

This doesn't stop Jesse potentially finding another gear, now that Edmonton appears to be in the rearview mirror and Oil gets flushed out of his system.

Reactions: Studz

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
So now you know something through some individual’s stats? Shows me that you have absolutely ZERO understanding about European hockey and what level the hockey is in different countries here. You know that Erik Karlsson had only barely a better PPG in Liiga than in his best NHL seasons during the lockout. There are other examples too. Individuals don’t really even tell much. Watch the games and see the results that European based teams get in the WHC tournaments against NHL player stacked teams. And first of all - quit with your North American arrogance. This is not a personal attack, just a fact about your behaviour here, as you clearly know absolutely nothing about European hockey. So quit throwing the arrogant BS here when you know absolutely nothing of the subject.

I know NHL preseason rosters beat European squads 90% of the time.

Do you seriously believe that players in Finland making 200k a year are capable of playing in the KHL or NHL and making millions but they just don't want to?

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
I know NHL preseason rosters beat European squads 90% of the time.

Do you seriously believe that players in Finland making 200k a year are capable of playing in the KHL or NHL and making millions but they just don't want to?
When are NHL pre-season rosters playing against top European teams? And things are not as black and white as you are trying to paint them. Players need developing time often in their own country. Not all talented players should go right away to try to earn big money. Anyway the sport is still more about other things than money. Money is included in the mix for sure, but it’s a way too simplistic way to think of it as if money is the only defining thing for the players and their decisions.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
When are NHL pre-season roster playing against top European teams? And things are not as black and white as you are trying to point them. Players need developing time often in their own country. Not all talented players should go right away to try to earn big money. Anyway the sport is still more about other things than money. Money is included in the mix for sure, but it’s a way too simplistic way to think of it as if money is the only defining thing for the players and their decisions.

NHL teams have played European clubs plenty in NHL preseason. They almost always win with subpar rosters.

The sport is about things other than money, but money is a major deciding factor in most peoples lives. These guys are playing hockey for a living. Don't try to tell me that every player in Liiga is a free spirit that isn't interested in making millions of dollars per season.

Please show me some examples of multiple Finnish players turning down NHL contracts to stay in Liiga for their whole career. If they get the chance to play in a higher league, they go.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
If there was actually anything meaningful on the line and Edmonton dressed their real roster they would shell Kapart on any size ice surface. Maybe, Maybe if their goalie somehow stood on his head Kapart might steal a game or 2 in a 20 game series but I highly doubt that is even possible.

If you actually "highly doubt that", that again goes to show you don't understand how important luck is in a low-scoring sport like hockey. Bigger upsets happen in hockey all the time. Finland just beat Russia, Canada and Sweden with something meaningful on the line in May, and the difference in the rosters was greater than the difference between Kärpät and the Oilers. I've also seen Finland lose to countries like Denmark and France, and the difference in the rosters was greater than the difference between Kärpät and the Oilers.

The sport is about things other than money, but money is a major deciding factor in most peoples lives.

It sure is. The Finnish team that won the gold medal in May probably made less than Ovie and Malkin combined last season. Somehow they still beat Ovie, Malkin and the rest of the Russians on their way to gold.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
NHL teams have played European clubs plenty in NHL preseason. They almost always win with subpar rosters.

The sport is about things other than money, but money is a major deciding factor in most peoples lives. These guys are playing hockey for a living. Don't try to tell me that every player in Liiga is a free spirit that isn't interested in making millions of dollars per season.

Please show me some examples of multiple Finnish players turning down NHL contracts to stay in Liiga for their whole career. If they get the chance to play in a higher league, they go.
Not really plenty of those games. Last season there was two. Devils won barely in overtime against SC Bern (Switzerland) and likewise the Oilers won only in overtime against Kölner Haie (Germany). Before that the last time those type of games were played between NHL teams and European top teams, was as far as in 2011. Anyway to even think that the European teams are playing with their absolute best rosters in those games is also laughable. Their leagues have just started at those times and they also need to rest some of their players and avoid getting injuries in meaningless games like that. Anyway, most of the times those games have been tight and NHL teams have sometimes lost them too, although won more often than lost.

But anyway to think that a team like Kärpät (or most of the other absolute top class European teams) couldn't win even many games (most probably they would be one of the weaker NHL teams, but would still get some wins too) against NHL teams in a full season, just shows some arrogance.

Also some comments here that Kärpät would get trashed even by some AHL teams is just some absolute North American arrogance and shows really zero understanding of the quality of hockey that is played in Europe.

In sports, and in fact in any career in life, you should still think about things in the long run too. What is best for your development? When is the right time to make decisions that bring you more money in the future? Only stupid and greedy people make their decisions based only on the amount of money that they are offered right now.

And yes, there have been quite many Finnish players that have got offers from KHL teams and even NHL teams, but they didn’t after all want to go at that time, as they felt that the timing wasn’t right or they even didn’t want to go to play in Russia or North America at all. Even Teemu Selänne delayed with two seasons going to play for the Jets, although he was offered already a lot more money from the Jets than from Jokerit back in the days. Mostly those situations aren’t even reported though, so it’s not really easy to dig out all the examples, or especially the proof of them.

Last edited:

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
But anyway to think that a team like Kärpät (or most of the other absolute top class European teams) couldn't win even many games (most probably they would be one of the weaker NHL teams, but would still get some wins too) against NHL teams in a full season, just shows some arrogance.

They'd be the weakest NHL team by a mile. Finnish pride is a hell of a drug.

Cheers mate.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Not even close to the drug that North American arrogance is.

Check, mate.

You're confusing arrogance with basic facts.

How many Liiga players were on Finland's 2014 Olympic team?

Why do you think the number was so low?
North American arrogance by the people that picked the Finnish team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino