Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Some NA hockey fans had no clue about hockey in Europe. But the qualitiy in Europe is much better, than some NA thought.
Remember a almost finnsih Liiga Team won the WHC 2019.
so? one tournament proves nothing
they finished 4th and 5th the previous 2 years

the Liiga is like 3rd tier behind the KHL and SHL

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I kind of doubt that. The AHL may be the 3rd best hockey league on the planet.

Oh come on. A NHL team against a Finnish league team?
There were a series of such games back in mid 90s or so. The teams in SM-liiga were far more "unprofessional" back then, but as far as I remember, they did win a game or two. I think it was Ilves and HIFK?

member 157595

There were a series of such games back in mid 90s or so. The teams in SM-liiga were far more "unprofessional" back then, but as far as I remember, they did win a game or two. I think it was Ilves and HIFK?

I'm not doubting that the good Liiga teams could win a game or two against an AHL team. I'm doubting that any Liiga team would sweep the Calder Cup winner because that's quite simply absurd.

I won't touch upon the NHL comparison, because the NHL is far, far above both the Finnish league and AHL.

Reactions: TFHockey

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Hahaha, Kärpät would beat any AHL team 10/10. Oilers would have a chance to win 3 or 4 if they are on their a-game

Lol it’s absurd to think even the best team from a second rate euro league could ever beat any NHL team, even one time.

The level of competition between the NHL and even the KHL/SHL is pretty wide and Liiga is a step below those leagues.

Reactions: Goldmember

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Lol it’s absurd to think even the best team from a second rate euro league could ever beat any NHL team, even one time.

You don't know what you're talking about. It's absurd to claim that Kärpät would beat the Oilers in a 10-game series. It's also absurd to claim Kärpät wouldn't have a chance in a single game. Hockey is a low-scoring sport and luck plays a major part in a single game. Weirder things happen in hockey all the time. I've seen France beat Canada at the world championships.

Reactions: Goldmember

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
You don't know what you're talking about. It's absurd to claim that Kärpät would beat the Oilers in a 10-game series. It's also absurd to claim Kärpät wouldn't have a chance in a single game. Hockey is a low-scoring sport and luck plays a major part in a single game. Weirder things happen in hockey all the time. I've seen France beat Canada at the world championships.
True. A team of FEL players could beat Oilers but not one Liiga team.

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner

The level of competition between the NHL and even the KHL/SHL is pretty wide and Liiga is a step below those leagues.

Second rate euro team is better than the worst nhl team. I doubt Connor MacDavid would even have guts to step in to same rink with allmighty Lasse Kukkonen

RamboZambo

Mar 4, 2019

Sorry why you compare leagues? Top teams from Liiga and of course from KHL and SHL could beat NHL-Teams. Comparing a bit with soccer. The portugese League is clear weaker than Premiere League but Top Teams like Benfica,Porto or Sporting could be able to beat PL-Teams. Maybe even PL-Top teams. In hockey Kärpät or Tappara could beat teams like Ottawa, NJ or Arizona.

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Since 2009, in 22 games, "second rate euro league teams" have beaten an NHL Team three times, while "first rate euro leagues" won once
Florida has lost against Tappara Tampere 2-3 (SO)
Carolina has lost against SKA St. Petersburg 3-5
Chicago has lost the "Victoria Cup" against ZSC Lions 1-2
Rangers have lost against EV Zug 4-8

So yes, it's clearly a totally absurd notion.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Since 2009, in 22 games, "second rate euro league teams" have beaten an NHL Team three times, while "first rate euro leagues" won once
Florida has lost against Tappara Tampere 2-3 (SO)
Carolina has lost against SKA St. Petersburg 3-5
Chicago has lost the "Victoria Cup" against ZSC Lions 1-2
Rangers have lost against EV Zug 4-8

So yes, it's clearly a totally absurd notion.

Not sure about the other teams, but as a Rangers fan I can tell you that the Rangers played 4 games in 5 nights in 4 different countries playing against that Swiss team, so that should be taken account for.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Not sure about the other teams, but as a Rangers fan I can tell you that the Rangers played 4 games in 5 nights in 4 different countries playing against that Swiss team, so that should be taken account for.

From NHL.com, Oct 3rd 2011

ZUG, Switzerland -- Playing their fourth game in five nights in five different countries, the road-weary New York Rangers fell victim to Swiss club EV Zug on Monday, losing 8-4.

The Rangers trailed 3-1 late in the first period, but got goals from Mike Rupp and Artem Anisimov in the final 1:13 to end the period tied at 3-3.

However, a pair of former NHL players, Glen Metropolit and Josh Holden, scored 41 seconds apart to put the Swiss club up 5-3 after two periods. The Rangers didn't have the gas left in the tank to climb back into the game.

Check NHL.com for full game coverage as well as this blog for more notes about all the day's action.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I hate to wade into this debate, as it’s just giving a stupid notion more oxygen, but NO. Top Liga teams would not pose much of a threat to even the worst NHL clubs. In exhibition/pre-season matches where vets are coasting and half the NHL rosters are bubble players, then sure. In some other short tournaments where it is single elimination, and better teams get knocked off by a hot goalie, then sure. On average, hell no.

Consider this. Analytics have a pretty solid track record of predicting how many points a player from other leagues is likely to score in the NHL based on their scoring up to that point. Regulars on HF will be familiar with these figures called NHLe. Scoring equivalents, really, based on a large number of players over many years attained by comparing production in lesser leagues to their results once they made the NHL. These stats have been compiled for all the major amateur and pro leagues. According to these statistics, a dominant point per game player in SM-Liga can be expected to put up 37 points over an 82 game NHL season. Individual players results can vary widely, but these numbers pan out over large sample sizes on average.

I am taking nothing away from the European professional leagues as they are very high level, and their is a fairly fine line between players once they turn professional at the highest levels. That said, there is only one NHL where even the worst players and teams are ridiculously good. Karpat would get shelled over the long run by any NHL team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad