Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
You're confusing arrogance with basic facts.

How many Liiga players were on Finland's 2014 Olympic team?

Why do you think the number was so low?
North American arrogance by the people that picked the Finnish team?
Why are you talking about the Olympics that were held 5 years ago? Anyway, of course the best Finnish players play usually in the NHL, but it doesn't mean that the difference between them and some of the best Finnish Liiga players is really very substantial. And there are also always some very promising rising stars, that could already even play in the NHL, but still they need to continue developing in Liiga.

You are simply overemphasizing the class difference of players who have gone to the NHL and players that are top class in European leagues. There is of course a difference, but it’s not even close to being as big as you and some of your fellow North Americans stubbornly want to believe in. Also most of NHL fourth line players wouldn't be much more in European leagues. Mostly probably 3rd line potential, or maybe even in some cases 2nd line potential, if the player really has some skill, but many of them would be still more role playing energy guys in the European top leagues too.

But I’m leaving this here. We will not get anywhere, as we truly see things very differently, and this is anyway supposed to be a thread about Puljujärvi. The difference between us is though that I watch crazy amounts of NHL and Liiga games per season, and even quite many KHL and AHL games per season. I’m practically sure that you watch only NHL and maybe some AHL games. So I will leave you to your ignorance now.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
This post is here to remind you of the person who the thread is about
Puljujärvi didn't score a point vs Bern yesterday, but his point totals for 4 games are solid enough, 4 points. I didn't watch the game so I don't really know if he looked better and got unlucky or remained to look like he doesn't belong outside scoring.

Reactions: Slack

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
This post is here to remind you of the person who the thread is about
Puljujärvi didn't score a point vs Bern yesterday, but his point totals for 4 games are solid enough, 4 points. I didn't watch the game so I don't really know if he looked better and got unlucky or remained to look like he doesn't belong outside scoring.
Sounds about par for the course with Jesse and pre-season.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Ah never mind, I was watching the highlights of the 1 September game against Bern :D

Edit:
Okay, here's the correct highlight video. Pulju fumbles it at 1:30 ...

Boy, the CHL channel editing is garbage. Why on earth would you cut the shootout?

Last edited:

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
The first regular season game in Liiga, he looked a bit lost, though got 7 shots. But now in the second game he looked a lot sharper and scored 1+1. Had some good puck steals and used his body better.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Shot counts look higher in Finland because all shots are counted for totals.

1st game
3 saved
3 missed
1 blocked

2nd game
1 goal
4 saved

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
It's weird. His actual play is so far from what he could do but he's still ppg after 5 games. If he gets his game in check he'll be a 70 point scorer. That's a big if at this point.
It would be hilarious if he would be ppg at the seasons end and I still wouldn't expect him to garner much interest from the NHL.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
It's weird. His actual play is so far from what he could do but he's still ppg after 5 games. If he gets his game in check he'll be a 70 point scorer. That's a big if at this point.
It would be hilarious if he would be ppg at the seasons end and I still wouldn't expect him to garner much interest from the NHL.

Yep, some players are just meant for big ice hockey.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland

At this point, Teemu Pulkkinen might get more attention from the NHL after this season.
BTW. Pulkkinen is the current leading goal scorer in the KHL with 6 goals in 6 games (6+2=8).
- 2 super nice goals tonight against Jokerit

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
At this point, Teemu Pulkkinen might get more attention from the NHL after this season.
BTW. Pulkkinen is the current leading goal scorer in the KHL with 6 goals in 6 games (6+2=8).
- 2 super nice goals tonight against Jokerit
Pulkkinen needs 5 meters of open ice to unleash his shot. He's too small and slow to ever be top-6 player in NHL. He won't get any attention from NHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
GM's will still question if he can do it on the smaller ice AND against better players. A valid concern.

Reactions: Fixxer

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida

About 10-15% of his NHL games he’d look dominate. He’d make nifty passes and skate like the wind through defenders and unleash his hard wrister. 85% of the other games he’d fumble the puck at the blue line and couldn’t settle the puck to make a single pass. He played like Lucic or Yakupov.

I nicknamed him Bambi a year ago. If he’d just protect the puck better he could be a regular NHLer. The size, skating, shot are there and he makes nifty passes like Draisaitl once in a while... but he’s so darn awkward and fumbles so much.

Sadly he hasn’t progressed at all.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Based on the projected points from 2017:

If Pulju ends the Liiga season at PPG, based on the projected points (.43 for Liiga) he would have scored 30 points in NHL (82 gp). Which is very close to his 2017-18 season: 20 points in 65 gp = estimated 25 points in 82 gp.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Ah never mind, I was watching the highlights of the 1 September game against Bern :D

Edit:
Okay, here's the correct highlight video. Pulju fumbles it at 1:30 ...

Boy, the CHL channel editing is garbage. Why on earth would you cut the shootout?

JP even fumbles his shootout attempt. Classic.

One thing not mentioned in this thread is his defensively ability. He does backcheck and stick check until Yakupov. He could carve out a bottom 6 career much like MPS if he can’t stop fumbling the puck.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
It's easy to be wise after the fact. Just before the draft, he was the consensus #3 pick.
No shit. Kekalainen was ridiculed for the entire year+ after the draft for passing up on what should've been a no brainier potential franchise player. Every jackets fan that posted on here was ridiculed for him making that pick. Just another f*** up for poor Columbus.

So you better believe we're going to brag about it and throw it back in everyones face as much as we can.

Before the draft I was completely on board with Pulju, but I had faith in Jarmo. And after the draft I had suggested that it's likely and plausible that Jarmo had an advantage over every other GM in the league when it came to scouting Jesse. He and Siren were the only GMs who could truly speak to him without a translator and have a true face to face conversation with him in his native tongue.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
No ****. Kekalainen was ridiculed for the entire year+ after the draft for passing up on what should've been a no brainier potential franchise player. Every jackets fan that posted on here was ridiculed for him making that pick. Just another **** up for poor Columbus.

So you better believe we're going to brag about it and throw it back in everyones face as much as we can.

Before the draft I was completely on board with Pulju, but I had faith in Jarmo. And after the draft I had suggested that it's likely and plausible that Jarmo had an advantage over every other GM in the league when it came to scouting Jesse. He and Siren were the only GMs who could truly speak to him without a translator and have a true face to face conversation with him in his native tongue.

Wouldn't say everyone. I sorted wanted PLD as an Oilers fan because of how Draisaitl turned out (a big center with poor skating and elite playmaking skills). This isn't the thread to discuss PLD though. Oilers had Mikhail Sergachev ready to be picked at 4th until JP "fell" into their lap. I thought Matthew Tkachuk (or PLD) would have been the next choice but no.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Snowpants

In Depth Hockey Analyst
Apr 20, 2019
No ****. Kekalainen was ridiculed for the entire year+ after the draft for passing up on what should've been a no brainier potential franchise player. Every jackets fan that posted on here was ridiculed for him making that pick. Just another **** up for poor Columbus.

Wow congrats this is truly the best place for this post A+ you are awarded all Internet points

Happy now? Can we go back to talking Puljujarvi and you can go be a dingdong else where?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->