Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Since 2009, in 22 games, "second rate euro league teams" have beaten an NHL Team three times, while "first rate euro leagues" won once
Florida has lost against Tappara Tampere 2-3 (SO)
Carolina has lost against SKA St. Petersburg 3-5
Chicago has lost the "Victoria Cup" against ZSC Lions 1-2
Rangers have lost against EV Zug 4-8

So yes, it's clearly a totally absurd notion.

lol... wow. So some data is now on the table. 4/22 games. That's like a 0.181 winning percentage. It would equate to 30 points on the season....

... and against NHL teams playing a mix of AHL tweeners, rookies and resting veterans in pre-season. Whereas the euro opponents are playing for pride in front of their home fans.

Even the lowly Oilers can manage 79 points against NHL teams that are actually trying.

Where are you MMan?

MMANumminen

May 7, 2010
Political prisoner
lol... wow. So some data is now on the table. 4/22 games. That's like a 0.181 winning percentage. It would equate to 30 points on the season....

... and against NHL teams playing a mix of AHL tweeners, rookies and resting veterans in pre-season. Whereas the euro opponents are playing for pride in front of their home fans.

Even the lowly Oilers can manage 79 points against NHL teams that are actually trying.

Where are you MMan?

I didn't see any Kärpät games there but I get your point. I disagree though.
Can you tell me though why team Finland's (full of Liiga players) victories over stacked Sweden, Russia and Canada (twice) is irrelevant, but Minnesota Wild's victory in exhibition game over poor Ilves Tampere is?

holyprime

Oct 5, 2010
Actually, its 3/22 games, or a 0.136 winning percentage, we can only count "second rate leagues" like Liiga. But that's the point, yes, considering even one win is straight out of fairy tale land for those with an unprecedented knowledge of euro leagues here.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Despite still looking like a deer in the headlights on 5v5, he scores again vs Grenoble. I'm not convinced he's a NHL player at the moment but at least he's getting some stats that surely help his situation.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Two goals, and two assists so far, in eight periods with Karpat... at least he's getting some playing time, and putting up points. That can only help his growth and future. Great move for him to move back to Europe.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Hahaha, Kärpät would beat any AHL team 10/10. Oilers would have a chance to win 3 or 4 if they are on their a-game

Second rate euro team is better than the worst nhl team. I doubt Connor MacDavid would even have guts to step in to same rink with allmighty Lasse Kukkonen

I'm sorry for my countryboyness. Congratulations! Did you have a big parade?

I didn't see any Kärpät games there but I get your point. I disagree though.
Can you tell me though why team Finland's (full of Liiga players) victories over stacked Sweden, Russia and Canada (twice) is irrelevant, but Minnesota Wild's victory in exhibition game over poor Ilves Tampere is?

Your argument was that Karpat (a European CLUB team) could beat the Oilers (an Nhl CLUB team) 6 or 7 games out of 10.

There is no data to support this statement. These teams have never played each other. We can only look to analogue data of
i) Karpat vs NHL teams
ii) Edmonton vs Euro league teams, and
iii) Other NHL teams vs Euro league teams (each as analogues for Edmonton and Karpat respectively)

The performance of your national team is of zero relevance. Nobody is arguing that a concentration of Finland's best players is not formidable. The argument is about club teams vs club teams, where talent is more dispersed.

On i) I am not aware of any data, google did not help, please bring some to the table if any exists
On ii) In 2019 Edmonton played Cologne and beat them. So they are 1 and 0 vs euro club teams
On iii) the vast predominance of data suggests that Euro club teams from any euro club league are not competitive with NHL clubs, even when said NHL clubs are not playing their top lineup and the Euro club teams are playing at home (and one would presume are motivated to "make a point" about their competitiveness in front of their fans).

You've brought no relevant data. Just backhanded insults. The data in this debate does not support your assertion. Game over.

RamboZambo

Mar 4, 2019
Your argument was that Karpat (a European CLUB team) could beat the Oilers (an Nhl CLUB team) 6 or 7 games out of 10.

There is no data to support this statement. These teams have never played each other. We can only look to analogue data of
i) Karpat vs NHL teams
ii) Edmonton vs Euro league teams, and
iii) Other NHL teams vs Euro league teams (each as analogues for Edmonton and Karpat respectively)

The performance of your national team is of zero relevance. Nobody is arguing that a concentration of Finland's best players is not formidable. The argument is about club teams vs club teams, where talent is more dispersed.

On i) I am not aware of any data, google did not help, please bring some to the table if any exists
On ii) In 2019 Edmonton played Cologne and beat them. So they are 1 and 0 vs euro club teams
On iii) the vast predominance of data suggests that Euro club teams from any euro club league are not competitive with NHL clubs, even when said NHL clubs are not playing their top lineup and the Euro club teams are playing at home (and one would presume are motivated to "make a point" about their competitiveness in front of their fans).

You've brought no relevant data. Just backhanded insults. The data in this debate does not support your assertion. Game over.
This was an OT win for Edmonton vs Cologne. Cologne is weaker than much teams from KHL,SHL and Liiga.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
This was an OT win for Edmonton vs Cologne. Cologne is weaker than much teams from KHL,SHL and Liiga.
List of international games played by NHL teams - Wikipedia

NHL teams have been playing European teams for years. The NHL preseason rosters win 90% of the games, and typically lose in SO/OT when they do suffer a loss. This is with the NHL teams not having even played a real game yet, and euro teams already having played some regular season games.

NHL teams are just clearly head and shoulders above teams from other leagues.

This is obvious stuff.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Not based on past performance and what Holland would want in a trade for JP. The guy is currently driving down Bust Hwy and its unlikely he'll get off because he thinks his problems are everyone else's fault.
I fully expect that JP will play the 2019-20 season in Finland and every year he spends playing against 3rd rate competition will make him less desirable to bring back to the NHL.... because playing against that type of competition will only reinforce his opinion about himself and it won't force him to make changes. A year from now he'll still have the English vocabulary of a rock and he'll still be making the same mistakes on the ice.
The Finnish league is not 3rd rate competition.

Reactions: mattihp

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yes, the roster was pretty full of AHL guys, the Oilers were coasting most of the game.

The NHL is the best league in the world by far. The best Liiga team would still be the worst in the NHL

Reactions: TFHockey

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
C'mon people. Finnish fans are just having some fun claiming Karpat could play in the NHL

No one is that deluded.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
The performance of your national team is of zero relevance. Nobody is arguing that a concentration of Finland's best players is not formidable.

Except it wasn't a concentration of Finland's best players. If we look at that Finnish gold medal team, only Kaapo Kakko and maybe Mikko Lehtonen would make Finland's A team. Both Sweden and Russia on the other hand had plenty of guys who would also be there in a best-on-best tournament. Even USA had Eichel, Gaudreau, Kane, Suter, DeBrincat and Larkin. Finland had Marko Anttila who can barely skate.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except it wasn't a concentration of Finland's best players. If we look at that Finnish gold medal team, only Kaapo Kakko and maybe Mikko Lehtonen would make Finland's A team. Both Sweden and Russia on the other hand had plenty of guys who would also be there in a best-on-best tournament. Even USA had Eichel, Gaudreau, Kane, Suter, DeBrincat and Larkin. Finland had Marko Anttila who can barely skate.

What’s your point supposed to be here?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
I honestly think that if you had Kärpät and the current Oilers play 50 games (25 on European rink size, 25 on NHL rink size), it would be a very even result (50 %). Don't underestimate top European teams, and don't overestimate the mess that the Oilers currently is.
Connor McDavid would average 9 points per game on the European rink.

Reactions: bigbabybuda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest