Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
But the current Oilers is a garbage team that should be in AHL. Without McJesus and Draisaitl, they would compete with 1992 Sharks and 1993 Ottawa in hilarity.
A bad AHL team would still beat Karpat in over half the games.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Says the same person who thought they were in the finals around 75% of the time.
Let's see. Since they got back to the big league (2000-2001), they've been in the finals 10 of 19 years. Sure it's an exaggeration but you're talking about one of the best orgs in Europe judged by finals appearances, along with winning 7 out of 10 championships in said appearances.
Rinne, Aho, Salomäki, Jokinen, Pitkänen, Nutivaara, Donskoi are names that have played in the NHL recently enough to be mentioned as "big names" from Kärpät.

Then there is Pulju, Kuokkanen, Mäenalanen, the Räty brothers (upcomers, the younger Räty is currently one of the best of his age class in the world).
I'd jokingly say that the Oilers are worse at developing talent than Kärpät are ;)

Last edited:

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You do realize that the Oilers are playing against other NHL caliber teams game in and game out?? Whereas Karpat... Isn't.
I assure you that if Karpat had to face the quality of competition that the Oilers face on a daily basis they wouldn't look so hot and their win loss record would be abysmal.
The fact that Karpat made it to the finals 50% of the time means nothing. In that league the oilers would likely make it there 90% of the time.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Kärpät vs Oilers in 50 games would end up with Oilers winning close to 40 of the games.

Kärpät vs the Condors would end up with Kärpät winning around 35 of the games. A team is not just the players on the ice, but also strategies and coaching.

Only someone who hasn't watched the NHL would say Kärpät has a chance vs the Oilers just as much as only someone who just watches NA hockey would believe The Condors could challenge top european teams like Kärpät.

Try to find a Kärpät game from the last five years online and watch it before you comment.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If I remember correctly Finnish isn't even an Indo-European language. I think it's somewhat related to Hungarian but no other mainstream languages in Europe are related (including English and Swedish), and that its roots actually lie in Asia. A Finn can correct me if I'm wrong here.
What mattihp said. But at the same time, as the vocabulary go there is only a core of 200-400 paleolithic hunter-gathering society proto-Uralic words, on top of which there are layers and layers of loanwords from the various adjancted Indo-European languages like proto-Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Baltic, proto-Germanic, proto-Norse, Swedish and lately also English to note every technological and societal advancement like the invention of the bees for example.

Reactions: mattihp

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I honestly think that if you had Kärpät and the current Oilers play 50 games (25 on European rink size, 25 on NHL rink size), it would be a very even result (50 %). Don't underestimate top European teams, and don't overestimate the mess that the Oilers currently is.
This reminds me of 2012, when some folks were opining that the AHL champion (and utterly dominant) Norfolk Admirals could probably stand a chance against the (overwhelmingly, deservedly) NHL last-place Columbus Blue Jackets. My favorite technique for shutting down that nonsense was pointing out that the Admirals' playoff MVP was one Alexandre Picard - arguably the biggest draft bust in Blue Jackets history (yes, worse than Filatov), as despite being ostensibly a quality goal-scoring forward, he never managed to score even a single goal in the NHL after trying for nearly 70 games, and ended up with only two assists.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
But the current Oilers is a garbage team that should be in AHL. Without McJesus and Draisaitl, they would compete with 1992 Sharks and 1993 Ottawa in hilarity.

I don't know if you realize it or not but McDavid and Drai both play for the Oilers....

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Riiiight. Which is what you say to every offer involving an Oiler player. Give it up already
Name one of these great offers you've made, that I have turned down. Or, better yet, give me your argument on how this is a good trade for Winnipeg. Instead of whining because I don't want to give up a good player for a useless one that we have absolutely no need for.

Give it up already. It was a crap offer and you're making yourself look foolish defending it.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
You guys won a tournament that nobody cares about because real playoff hockey is still going on in North America

Sure. If you want to see how little guys like Ovechkin and Malkin (whom Finland beat in the semi-final) care about the tournament, maybe you should check out their reactions on the occasions they've won it. The indifference is certainly palpable:

Lol is that what we’re hanging our hats on now? A summer tournament that happens at the same time as the NHL playoffs? Where the first and second tier of guys are either still playing in the playoffs or dont care enough to go play. These aren’t all star level teams we are sending over, it’s the leftovers and whoever they can scrounge together.

The teams Finland beat on their way to gold included guys like Kucherov, Gusev, Dadonov, Sergachyov, Kuznetsov, Malkin, Ovechkin, Kaprizov, Pettersson, Ekman Larsson, Landeskog, Lundqvist, Nylander, Klingberg and Lindholm. That looks like a pretty nice bunch of "leftovers" to me.

Jesse will be a prime example, not an nhl player, decent numbers in AHL but I’m sure he’ll rip it up in Liiga. There’s levels.

Sami Niku is also a prime example, don't you think? Not an NHL player, decent numbers in Liiga, but he ripped it up in the AHL. AHL defenseman of the year. There's levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ippenator

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Just a FYI for our European posters. In North America we have this thing called the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they go on at the same time as the World Cup. So in reality your team didnt beat stacked rosters, it was more like each countries B or C team.

Well as a European I certainly was unaware of the fact that guys like Ovechkin, Malkin, Kuznetsov and Kucherov are only good enough for Russia's B or C team. I guess they can't be as good as Ivan Barbashyov cause Barbashyov won this thing called the Stanley Cup. It's very enlightening to get these lessons from North American hockey experts.

Last edited:

member 157595

Finnish is related to sapmi and estonian, karelian, veps etc closes ties are to estonian and karelian. Finnish belongs to the same macro-group as hungarian and thusly shares a common ancestor language.

What mattihp said. But at the same time, as the vocabulary go there is only a core of 200-400 paleolithic hunter-gathering society proto-Uralic words, on top of which there are layers and layers of loanwords from the various adjancted Indo-European languages like proto-Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Baltic, proto-Germanic, proto-Norse, Swedish and lately also English to note every technological and societal advancement like the invention of the bees for example.

Thanks guys. I forgot about Estonian and feel like an idiot.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
A bad AHL team would still beat Karpat in over half the games.
Absolutely not. This is almost something as stupid to say like someone told Kärpät could beat Oilers. Top teams in the finnish league are better than AHL-teams.
For example the last time AHL team participated in Spenglers Cup against euro teams they lost all their games and first game was like 5-0.

But to be honest Kärpät would struggle in the smaller size of rink a bit.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Absolutely not. This is almost something as stupid to say like someone told Kärpät could beat Oilers. Top teams in the finnish league are better than AHL-teams.
For example the last time AHL team participated in Spenglers Cup against euro teams they lost all their games and first game was like 5-0.

But to be honest Kärpät would struggle in the smaller size of rink a bit.
Yeah a 3 sample size tournament is not doing much for me. That was also in 2013 during the lockout when tons of NHLers were playing in Europe. AHL teams are loaded with a greater depth of future NHLers than teams in Finland. Maybe the the top teams in the SHL and KHL is definitely better but the Finnish league is not on the level of the AHL.

Goldmember

Feb 3, 2013
Fin
Yeah a 3 sample size tournament is not doing much for me. That was also in 2013 during the lockout when tons of NHLers were playing in Europe. AHL teams are loaded with a greater depth of future NHLers than teams in Finland. Maybe the the top teams in the SHL and KHL is definitely better but the Finnish league is not on the level of the AHL.
Well the experts disagree with you also. Top teams from Finland are easily better than the worst teams in the AHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA