Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Yeah, but it must be remembered that Finnish is a very unique language. Looking at like Swedish, German and English so much have at least the same origin. Its basically rare that a word in English or German have no meaning whatsoever in Swedish. Just take the sentence I just wrote: (i) basically isn't a word in Swedish, but bas means base and so forth. You can figure out what it means.; (ii) rare isn't a word in Swedish, but "raritet" (rarity) is, so its not that hard to figure out, (iii) word is "ord" in Swedish, just remove the "w", easy to learn, (iv) have is har, similar, (v) no is close to our "nej", (vi) meaning is a perfect example of the challenge a Swede face when learning English. We cannot use "meaning" at all in this context, different words would be used, but when saying what do you mean? we use the word "menar". The word sentence is "mening" in Swedish. So all you got to do is to take a word used in one perspective in Swedish and learn what context its used in English, where it more or less have the same meaning. At the most there are some false friends, the Swedish word "eventuell" doesn't mean eventually, it more like potentially.

Finnish is totally different. Its like learning Chinese, almost... ;)
And then I must add... Vocabulary is the easy part to learn of a language. The world of ideas of a new indo european language is much easier to connect to if your first language (or a language which you have had heavy influence of) is also an indo european language.

Reactions: Ola

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Would have been before the FEL players torched Russians and Swedes with the Allstar NHL level teams in the IIHF last spring.

Big ice against LA, Ottawa or Anaheim would be very interesting.

You guys won a tournament that nobody cares about because real playoff hockey is still going on in North America
I think you have not seen Kärpät if you think there are AHL teams that could beat them badly.

The lower tier Liiga clubs could get beaten by AHL teams, but they for sure wouldn't be beaten to a pulp, on either ice surface due to finnish rinks mostly being hybrid rink sizes.

I’m sorry but the quality of skill between even the AHL and Liiga isn’t on par.

One league feeds the NHL with players and the other is probably the 3rd best league in Europe behind KHL and SHL. If Liiga was so good the NHL would be poaching players left and right, not just the odd guy here and there who shows something.

Jesse will be a prime example, not an nhl player, decent numbers in AHL but I’m sure he’ll rip it up in Liiga. There’s levels.

member 157595

I stand corrected and must admit Im surprised by this. English is such natural occurence in our every day life in nordic countries that it should not be a problem to understand. My experience is that even if you almost fail it at school you have enough basics down to get by in english speaking countries.

If I remember correctly Finnish isn't even an Indo-European language. I think it's somewhat related to Hungarian but no other mainstream languages in Europe are related (including English and Swedish), and that its roots actually lie in Asia. A Finn can correct me if I'm wrong here.

Reactions: snipes and mattihp

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Would have been before the FEL players torched Russians and Swedes with the Allstar NHL level teams in the IIHF last spring.

Big ice against LA, Ottawa or Anaheim would be very interesting.

Lol is that what we’re hanging our hats on now? A summer tournament that happens at the same time as the NHL playoffs? Where the first and second tier of guys are either still playing in the playoffs or dont care enough to go play. These aren’t all star level teams we are sending over, it’s the leftovers and whoever they can scrounge together.

What happened to Finland at the Olympics when nobody could send NHL players? That should of been their time to shine. What happened? I won’t even get into Olympics when Canada actually sends their best.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
You guys won a tournament that nobody cares about because real playoff hockey is still going on in North America

One league feeds the NHL with players and the other is probably the 3rd best league in Europe behind KHL and SHL. If Liiga was so good the NHL would be poaching players left and right, not just the odd guy here and there who shows something.

Jesse will be a prime example, not an nhl player, decent numbers in AHL but I’m sure he’ll rip it up in Liiga. There’s levels.

This

Jesse is going to destroy Finland not because of skill alone but because he's like a great white in a small ocean of small fish. His problem is once you get to the NHL everyone is a shark too.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden

The AHL doesn't feed players to the NHL, it is fed players from development leagues in north america and the top leagues of Europe.

The AHL has very much worse game preparation and trainers in general. It has quality players not because it is a quality leagues with quality teams, but because it plays below the best league.

You can't seriously watch Bakersfield and watch Kärpät and see two teams of even the same calibre.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
If I remember correctly Finnish isn't even an Indo-European language. I think it's somewhat related to Hungarian but no other mainstream languages in Europe are related (including English and Swedish), and that its roots actually lie in Asia. A Finn can correct me if I'm wrong here.
Finnish is related to sapmi and estonian, karelian, veps etc closes ties are to estonian and karelian. Finnish belongs to the same macro-group as hungarian and thusly shares a common ancestor language.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Just a FYI for our European posters. In North America we have this thing called the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they go on at the same time as the World Cup. So in reality your team didnt beat stacked rosters, it was more like each countries B or C team.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Puljujarvi is in a league I would expect him to have great success in. If not, it would be quite disappointing. I think Puljujarvi is making a big mistake not staying with the Oilers. There is lots of opportunity and some really skilled players to play with. New coach and GM as well. If he goes to a better team, the competition for roles and ice time is only going to be more difficult and he really has done little in the NHL thus far that would take ice time away from any established NHL top 6 player. Either way, if he scores a lot from now until December it will only help the situation to deal him which is likely good for both sides at this point.

Last edited:

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
The AHL doesn't feed players to the NHL, it is fed players from development leagues in north america and the top leagues of Europe.

The AHL has very much worse game preparation and trainers in general. It has quality players not because it is a quality leagues with quality teams, but because it plays below the best league.

You can't seriously watch Bakersfield and watch Kärpät and see two teams of even the same calibre.

Most of the posters in this thread agree with that statement, but not in the way you'd hope. The argument is being made over and over that Kärpät is not as good as an AHL team.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Just a FYI for our European posters. In North America we have this thing called the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they go on at the same time as the World Cup. So in reality your team didnt beat stacked rosters, it was more like each countries B or C team.
And that's why the teams compared to are the ones not in the playoffs..
The worst teams in the NHL absolutely can get beat on by European teams.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

In reality, only teams that make the final 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs do not send players to WC

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
In reality, only teams that make the final 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs do not send players to WC

Many of the best decline because of the rigours of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

We’ve just never taken that seriously the IIHF WC for whatever reason.

When Canada wins we’ve never had a parade or big celebration.

Although, viewership numbers have been quite good for the IIHF WC in recent years thanks to TSN. Personally, I love the tournament.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
It wouldn't happen now. But I know Edmonton under Holland would ask for more, but I personally would start with Eric Comrie.

But personally I believe Winnipeg is the best fit, but I think Puljujarvi be with a team desperate for offense and gives him his shot. Detroit fits the bill if you ask me.

I could imagine what could be done is Puljujarvi + conditional pick(s) for Athanasiou.

The condition would be based on how Puljujarvi performs in Detroit.
6th 2021 if Puljujarvi does well those first two seasons.
If Puljujarvi doesn't meet expectations it's a 1st after the end of however long his contract is along with a 4th.
If he is a serviceable player it's a 2nd in 2021.
We have zero use for Comrie.

Hypothetically in a trade with Winnipeg I'd love Holland to offer Puljujarvi + 3rd round pick in 2020 for Roslovic.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Did someone just say that Karpat might be better than an NHL team? Oh man time for a break from reading this thread. That's just embarrassing.
I honestly think that if you had Kärpät and the current Oilers play 50 games (25 on European rink size, 25 on NHL rink size), it would be a very even result (50 %). Don't underestimate top European teams, and don't overestimate the mess that the Oilers currently is.

Reactions: Ippenator

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I honestly think that if you had Kärpät and the current Oilers play 50 games (25 on European rink size, 25 on NHL rink size), it would be a very even result (50 %). Don't underestimate top European teams, and don't overestimate the mess that the Oilers currently is.

That's just dumb.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu

I find this utterly outrageous. Obviously Edmonton wouldn't win all those games but there's no chance Kärpät would win 50%. The difference between Liiga and NHL is huge.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
I find this utterly outrageous. Obviously Edmonton wouldn't win all those games but there's no chance Kärpät would win 50%. The difference between Liiga and NHL is huge.
But the current Oilers is a garbage team that should be in AHL. Without McJesus and Draisaitl, they would compete with 1992 Sharks and 1993 Ottawa in hilarity.

Reactions: mattihp

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
But the current Oilers is a garbage team that should be in AHL. Without McJesus and Draisaitl, they would compete with 1992 Sharks and 1993 Ottawa in hilarity.

I think if you stayed up past your bedtime and watched some Edmonton games you'd have a clue about the team.

Take the top two players off of any team and they'd suck. You really want to start throwing jabs at Edmonton? I'll just say one number and we'll just get back on topic, okay?

Elias GOATtersson

Jan 8, 2011
I think if you stayed up past your bedtime and watched some Edmonton games you'd have a clue about the team.

Take the top two players off of any team and they'd suck. You really want to start throwing jabs at Edmonton? I'll just say one number and we'll just get back on topic, okay?

I don’t think any team would suffer from losing their best two players as much as the oilers would.

CF84

I want to go home, O I want to go home!
Feb 21, 2017
The real cowtown, AB
I honestly think that if you had Kärpät and the current Oilers play 50 games (25 on European rink size, 25 on NHL rink size), it would be a very even result (50 %). Don't underestimate top European teams, and don't overestimate the mess that the Oilers currently is
Says the same person who thought they were in the finals around 75% of the time.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
When you see Flames fans, Leaf fans, Oiler fans, and pretty much all fans on the same side of an argument you know that some really wild shit is going on.

Good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad