Confirmed Signing with Link: Puljujarvi signed to a 1 year deal with Kärpät, Liiga

Status
Not open for further replies.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
I dont belive his english is that bad or that the language barrier is the problem. Its way easier to understand or write english than to speak english. Pulju not being able to understand directions from coach or team mates is bs.

It comes down to that Pulju wants a bigger role and Oilers has not found a reason to give him that.

Reactions: Fixxer and DFF

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
it might be that Oilers is a worse team than what Kärpät is.
I'm quite sure it is. While Liiga is not NHL, it's still a competitive league that constantly churns out NHL level players. And Kärpät has been in the league finals around 75 % of the time in the past 20 years.

Reactions: Kallio

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
What’s your offer?

It wouldn't happen now. But I know Edmonton under Holland would ask for more, but I personally would start with Eric Comrie.

But personally I believe Winnipeg is the best fit, but I think Puljujarvi be with a team desperate for offense and gives him his shot. Detroit fits the bill if you ask me.

I could imagine what could be done is Puljujarvi + conditional pick(s) for Athanasiou.

The condition would be based on how Puljujarvi performs in Detroit.
6th 2021 if Puljujarvi does well those first two seasons.
If Puljujarvi doesn't meet expectations it's a 1st after the end of however long his contract is along with a 4th.
If he is a serviceable player it's a 2nd in 2021.

Last edited:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
the difference is that in the NHL Oilers is the 3rd rate opposition for other teams whereas now he is playing for a top organization. The rink is smaller in the NHL which causes him trouble but when we think about the roster and the coach circus (a new one at least once a year) that is going on in Edmonton, it might be that Oilers is a worse team than what Kärpät is. They have a couple of world class players there but otherwise the organization is in mess.

What Holland wants will go down when some players get injured. He will be willing to trade Puljujärvi once the season has started.
You are mixing up your timelines. As entitled as Puju is acting he isnt actually a veteran player, only been in league a few years. He played under a grand total of 2 coaches:

Todd Mclellan for 2.25 years and Ken Hitchcock for 0.75 of last year.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I dont belive his english is that bad or that the language barrier is the problem. Its way easier to understand or write english than to speak english. Pulju not being able to understand directions from coach or team mates is bs.

It comes down to that Pulju wants a bigger role and Oilers has not found a reason to give him that.
He has also not given the oilers a reason to give him a bigger role.

Reactions: Cardiac Jerks

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Wheeler did quite nicely.
Little is not a bad player.
Shame Shame Ippenator :sarcasm:
I do agree that he did quite well with Wheeler in the past. But the last time I saw them together, with Ehlers on their line in the 2016-2017 season, that line was really pretty much an awful mess. And since that season I haven’t seen Little click well with practically any combination.

He is pretty good or at least ok defensively, but he really doesn't seem to click much with anyone offensively. I didn’t like even the Ehlers-Little-Perreault -line that much, because they were quite inefficient with scoring goals. They did create chances pretty well, but in general the chances were not often enough really dangerous. And also the shot quality in that line wasn't really that great after all.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I do agree that he did quite well with Wheeler in the past. But the last time I saw them together, with Ehlers on their line in the 2016-2017 season, that line was really pretty much an awful mess. And since that season I haven’t seen Little click well with practically any combination.

He is pretty good or at least ok defensively, but he really doesn't seem to click much with anyone offensively. I didn’t like even the Ehlers-Little-Perreault -line that much, because they were quite inefficient with scoring goals. They did create chances pretty well, but in general the chances were not often enough really dangerous. And also the shot quality in that line wasn't really that great after all.
Father Time has caught up with Little however he’s still pretty useful....still better than Roslo at this time.

Reactions: Ippenator

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Did someone just say that Karpat might be better than an NHL team? Oh man time for a break from reading this thread. That's just embarrassing.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Yes someone did. Wasn't worth a reply, just an ignore.
Well, just a few months ago a mostly Liiga based Finnish national team without any NHL players beat all the other top national teams that were stacked with top class NHL players. They beat Sweden and Russia clear in the playoffs and Canada 3-1 in the final. And they all had clearly more of top class NHL players than Edmonton has. Edmonton is that weak of an NHL team that it would be in trouble (meaning that they would probably win many games against those teams, but would most probably lose often too, if a multi game series was played) against most of the real top class European teams, and Kärpät is for sure one of those teams. Kärpät coach Mikko Manner was btw an essential part of the coaching team that lead Finland to that WHC gold medal this spring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eisen and Kallio

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018

He is on record admitting its been a problem this year. He is on record last year saying he has had problems understanding the coach and that it affects practice.

Sure, it might be overstated here on Hfboards, but to say its BS is ignorant and a fallacy.o

https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/jaakiekko/nhl/onside-with-jouni-nieminen-kuhinaa/

"I never go first in practice. I watch what others do in order to know what we are supposed to do. Today it was a couple of times difficult when the coach changed the drill when I was the first one in the line"

There’s more. If you bothered to look for it

Last edited:

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Well, just a few months ago a mostly Liiga based Finnish national team without any NHL players beat all the other top national teams that were stacked with top class NHL players. They beat Sweden and Russia clear in the playoffs and Canada 3-1 in the final. And they all had clearly more of top class NHL players than Edmonton has. Edmonton is that weak of an NHL team that it would be in trouble (meaning that they would probably win many games against those teams, but would most probably lose often too, if a multi game series was played) against most of the real top class European teams, and Kärpät is for sure one of those teams. Kärpät coach Mikko Manner was btw an essential part of the coaching team that lead Finland to that WHC gold medal this spring.

Lol you are greatly underestimating the difference in competition. Karpat might have a chance against an early pre season Oilers lineup on an international ice surface. Edmonton hasn't even been a bottom 5 team in a few seasons and I can assure you that even the worst NHL team of any given year would still have their way with Karpat, or any Finnish team for that matter.

They'd get handled by a few AHL teams including I'd wager the Bakersfield Condors.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Lol you are greatly underestimating the difference in competition. Karpat might have a chance against an early pre season Oilers lineup on an international ice surface. Edmonton hasn't even been a bottom 5 team in a few seasons and I can assure you that even the worst NHL team of any given year would still have their way with Karpat, or any Finnish team for that matter.

They'd get handled by a few AHL teams including I'd wager the Bakersfield Condors.
I think you have not seen Kärpät if you think there are AHL teams that could beat them badly.

The lower tier Liiga clubs could get beaten by AHL teams, but they for sure wouldn't be beaten to a pulp, on either ice surface due to finnish rinks mostly being hybrid rink sizes.

EP40 AKA Lil Wayne

May 9, 2013
He is on record admitting its been a problem this year. He is on record last year saying he has had problems understanding the coach and that it affects practice.

Sure, it might be overstated here on Hfboards, but to say its BS is ignorant and a fallacy.o

https://www.nordicbet.com/fi/blogi/jaakiekko/nhl/onside-with-jouni-nieminen-kuhinaa/

"I never go first in practice. I watch what others do in order to know what we are supposed to do. Today it was a couple of times difficult when the coach changed the drill when I was the first one in the line"

There’s more. If you bothered to look for it

I stand corrected and must admit Im surprised by this. English is such natural occurence in our every day life in nordic countries that it should not be a problem to understand. My experience is that even if you almost fail it at school you have enough basics down to get by in english speaking countries.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Did someone just say that Karpat might be better than an NHL team? Oh man time for a break from reading this thread. That's just embarrassing.

Would have been before the FEL players torched Russians and Swedes with the Allstar NHL level teams in the IIHF last spring.

Big ice against LA, Ottawa or Anaheim would be very interesting.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I stand corrected and must admit Im surprised by this. English is such natural occurence in our every day life in nordic countries that it should not be a problem to understand. My experience is that even if you almost fail it at school you have enough basics down to get by in english speaking countries.

Yeah, but it must be remembered that Finnish is a very unique language. Looking at like Swedish, German and English so much have at least the same origin. Its basically rare that a word in English or German have no meaning whatsoever in Swedish. Just take the sentence I just wrote: (i) basically isn't a word in Swedish, but bas means base and so forth. You can figure out what it means.; (ii) rare isn't a word in Swedish, but "raritet" (rarity) is, so its not that hard to figure out, (iii) word is "ord" in Swedish, just remove the "w", easy to learn, (iv) have is har, similar, (v) no is close to our "nej", (vi) meaning is a perfect example of the challenge a Swede face when learning English. We cannot use "meaning" at all in this context, different words would be used, but when saying what do you mean? we use the word "menar". The word sentence is "mening" in Swedish. So all you got to do is to take a word used in one perspective in Swedish and learn what context its used in English, where it more or less have the same meaning. At the most there are some false friends, the Swedish word "eventuell" doesn't mean eventually, it more like potentially.

Finnish is totally different. Its like learning Chinese, almost... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad