Post-Game Talk: PS #6: Bruins @ Rangers

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I agree with what most people on here are saying. Just to add some thoughts.

1. I know the team has not played with a full roster yet, but it feels different compared to last year. They don't seem to get the same space in the neutral zone they got last year. The stretch passes aren't there as much. Stoll, Stalberg and Lindberg are all interesting acquisitions but they are a very different element than the Hagelin and Pouliot days. Interested to see how the team adjusts to team not respecting their speed as much.

2. The team has a very different complexion without Yandle in the lineup. He is becoming one of the biggest offensive generators on this team already.

3. Etem reminds me of Marcel Hossa and Taylor Pyatt. He is sometimes good at mucking in the corners but that effort rarely turns into a scoring opportunity. And his vision and passing is incredibly lacking. He is not good enough to be in our top 9 right now. And not versatile enough to be on the 4th line. I'm really not sure where he belongs. His 3rd period tonight was his best period. If you have to choose between Stoll, Glass and Etem as the 12th forward -- you just cannot go with Etem. Stoll takes faceoffs, pk and is solid in his end. Glass hits, kills penalties, has better straight ahead speed and can get in people's faces. I'd honestly rather have Glass than Etem and that's saying A LOT because he shouldn't be on this team either.

4. McIlrath's fight and hit turned the game around. But otherwise he was a little shakier than the previous games. I'd like them to keep both he and Diaz. They have a bunch of forward depth in the minors with Gibbons, Megna, Hrivik and Bourque. I'd rather them keep 8 D.

I know this sounds a bit rash to say soon - but I'd like to trade Etem.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I agree with what most people on here are saying. Just to add some thoughts.

1. I know the team has not played with a full roster yet, but it feels different compared to last year. They don't seem to get the same space in the neutral zone they got last year. The stretch passes aren't there as much. Stoll, Stalberg and Lindberg are all interesting acquisitions but they are a very different element than the Hagelin and Pouliot days. Interested to see how the team adjusts to team not respecting their speed as much.

2. The team has a very different complexion without Yandle in the lineup. He is becoming one of the biggest offensive generators on this team already.

3. Etem reminds me of Marcel Hossa and Taylor Pyatt. He is sometimes good at mucking in the corners but that effort rarely turns into a scoring opportunity. And his vision and passing is incredibly lacking. He is not good enough to be in our top 9 right now. And not versatile enough to be on the 4th line. I'm really not sure where he belongs. His 3rd period tonight was his best period. If you have to choose between Stoll, Glass and Etem as the 12th forward -- you just cannot go with Etem. Stoll takes faceoffs, pk and is solid in his end. Glass hits, kills penalties, has better straight ahead speed and can get in people's faces. I'd honestly rather have Glass than Etem and that's saying A LOT because he shouldn't be on this team either.

4. McIlrath's fight and hit turned the game around. But otherwise he was a little shakier than the previous games. I'd like them to keep both he and Diaz. They have a bunch of forward depth in the minors with Gibbons, Megna, Hrivik and Bourque. I'd rather them keep 8 D.

I know this sounds a bit rash to say soon - but I'd like to trade Etem.

1. Yeah, but a lot of people were saying the team lacked size over the last few seasons. We still do have a fair bit of speed, but we also went out and tried to gain some size. I guess we're going for a more balanced approach. We can see the team is a bit stronger along the boards now.

2. Definitely. No Yandle. No Boyle. It made a significant difference in puck movement and breakouts.

3. I feel very indifferent about Etem. He seems uninspired. I'm willing to give him a few games. Trying to trade him now wouldn't gain much...it would be trading him at his lowest value. Every once in a while, he makes a nice play, but, like Pyatt, he can be very inconsistent and disappear for long stretches. Unimpressed, to say the least. If it's between Etem, Glass, and Stoll for the 13th, I'd go with Stoll. He hasn't lit the world on fire, but at least he can contribute in other ways.

4. Yes, McI was physically in the mix all night. It did make a difference against a team of Bruins trying to get things started. McI provided some hits and wasn't afraid to move the puck, either. A little shakier, maybe, but I think the game was also faster paced, but I think he did just fine. His partner for most of the game was also Diaz, I believe, so he had a bit more to handle defensively. Still, I would like to keep both, but, if it comes down to it, I'd keep McI over Diaz due to waivers.

Finally, I think Hayes needs to go back to center. Miller may not be the ideal fit on the second line, but he's the best option we have right now.

Esa 10

Jul 12, 2006
I think some of our forward spots will be in transition during October. Outside of the top 5 (Nash, Zucc, Brass, Step, Kreider), guys will be tried in different roles before things solidify.

I think Fast is sort of flying under the radar right now. I don't see him falling out of the top 9. Not sure where he ends up, but when all is said and done, I don't think he plays any lower than the 3rd line.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Final predictions

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Fast
Stalberg-Hayes-Miller
Lindberg-Moore-Stoll
Etem

Glass waived and picked up :o

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
McNasty

Diaz traded for a 6th. Or he stays. 50/50

Lundqvist
Raanta

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Flip Lindberg and Stalberg and you've got my lineup as well.

Me too.

McIlrath was the catalyst that turned the game around for the good guys. Very valuable intangible (lol) to have.

Etem is in consideration for 13th spot while he continues to adapt. Everything that Glass brings at this point is redundant (other than his cap hit).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Pretty much agree with the consensus that Megna, Glass and Diaz are the odd men out.

Stoll and Etem the consensus 12/13 forwards. McIlrath makes the team. Hopefully they play him enough. He looks much improved from last year and the more he plays the likely more he'll continue to get better. The rest of our D are pretty much what they are. McIlrath is the one that has room to grow.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Final predictions

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Fast
Stalberg-Hayes-Miller
Lindberg-Moore-Stoll
Etem

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
McNasty

Lundqvist
Raanta

Mine as well, however I doubt Diaz accepts going to Hartford unfortunately. I hope he does, but I'd think he would go back and play in Switzerland.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Final predictions

Nash-Brassard-Zuccarello
Kreider-Stepan-Fast
Stalberg-Hayes-Miller
Lindberg-Moore-Stoll
Etem

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Boyle
Yandle-Klein
McNasty

Lundqvist
Raanta

That is what I'd like to see other than minor tweaks to the lines, but player, team construction, cap wise that makes the most sense.

Diaz, if they keep him for like 10 roster days it's literally like ~37K out of the 71.4M they have.

There is no reason to waive him and lose him for nothing over that small of a cap hit when they could just keep him until he dust settles and maybe sneak him through waivers need be after these other teams finalize their rosters.

If they can trade him, considering all the injuries going around, if they can find a desperate enough team, they may even get back more than a 6th. How about a RHD prospect that could maybe really solidify them maybe moving Klein at some point down the road should that prospect develop in their system this year? Heck throw in like a 4th round pick with Diaz and try to see if they can sneak away with a better RHD prospect.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
ECL.. With all due respect. He couldn't even hold Hags jock strap. He brings absolutely nothing to this team..

A small reason we lost to the Kings was because the only guys that were big enough and fast enough to take the body on the forecheck were Nash and Kreider, guy's who should focus more on putting the puck in the net. It's not a huge difference maker (taking the body) but it's important. Generally you don't want your star players having this responsibility.

The additions of Etem and Stalberg, and to a lesser extent Stoll due to him not being as fast as those two, allow us to have 3rd and 4th liners taking the body on the forecheck.

This is a relatively important part of the game, especially for playoff hockey.

He doesn't bring much offensively, I agree. But he will take the burden of taking the body more often off of Kreider and Nash's shoulders, and allow them to focus more on putting the puck in the net.

If he can't do that, or bring anything offensively, than yes, he is useless

Remember he's getting paid essentially the minimum. He's not being asked to be a difference maker offensively.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
How am I incorrect?

He hasn't done S**t. Other than his draft status he hasn't shown that he belongs on an NHL roster. He could barely crack the Ducks 4th line nevermind the Rangers..

Glass at least had a few shots on goal which is a ton more than Etem's done. He loses the puck when you blink at him..Stooop!

This is sarcasm, right?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Flip Lindberg and Stalberg and you've got my lineup as well.

I think Lindberg would benefit from playing for a While with two established center veterans in Moore and Stoll. He looks real good though and can move up later in The season if and when opportunity presents itself. Swapping Miller and Fast is also debatable but Fast is the safer option defensively to start with - although Miller has the higher upside. Pair him with Hayes for a while and make him earn it, it will do him good.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
One of the most ignorant things i have seen all preseason. Kid has a ton of talent. Big frame, speed, strong along the boards and in the corners which has made him effective in working pucks along tbe boards to point men and in the cycle game. He made some nice reads tonight getting back when he saw his defenseman pinching. He played a smart game. It is very immature and premature to label Etem anything to this point. He still has had only 4 games here in AVs system...and all the while he (like most players here) have been bouncing around the lines only for him he is new to the organization (unlike Lindberg) or an NHL vet (unlike Stoll).

I second this and agree with your entire post.

It's my opinion and a valid one.

I keep reading how he's not used to AV's system and only played 4 games BS. That has nothing to do with his hockey sense or lack thereof.

I guess all the time he's spent in the Ducks system wasn't enough time either? Because he sucked there too.

Kid just doesn't have it and is easily replaced by any other kid in Hartford "IMO".

Last edited by a moderator:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
A small reason we lost to the Kings was because the only guys that were big enough and fast enough to take the body on the forecheck were Nash and Kreider, guy's who should focus more on putting the puck in the net. It's not a huge difference maker (taking the body) but it's important. Generally you don't want your star players having this responsibility.

The additions of Etem and Stalberg, and to a lesser extent Stoll due to him not being as fast as those two, allow us to have 3rd and 4th liners taking the body on the forecheck.

This is a relatively important part of the game, especially for playoff hockey.

He doesn't bring much offensively, I agree. But he will take the burden of taking the body more often off of Kreider and Nash's shoulders, and allow them to focus more on putting the puck in the net.

If he can't do that, or bring anything offensively, than yes, he is useless

Remember he's getting paid essentially the minimum. He's not being asked to be a difference maker offensively.

I'm 100% all for adding size and hitting etc.

Just not with Etem. He's never gonna be a difference maker.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I'm 100% all for adding size and hitting etc.

Just not with Etem. He's never gonna be a difference maker.

We don't need him to be (see above)

A physical presence, speed on the forecheck, and points sprinkled throughout the season is all that is being asked from him.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
Dylan should make the team as hes the guy the team is most heavily invested in. Really though, Diaz has had his moments too. He does have offensive skills and plays to what av really likes.

Question. Would mcilrath make this team this year if he could be sent back to Hartford ?

I still wonder.
He would be sent down. They would want him getting 1st pairing minutes which he won't get here. Doesn't mean he shouldn't make the team though.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
We don't need him to be (see above)

A physical presence, speed on the forecheck, and points sprinkled throughout the season is all that is being asked from him.

I get what you're saying. I just don't think he's going to very effective at it on an NHL level.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
If you read my original post you'll see that I think the exact opposite.

I think you're just expecting Etem to match what Hagelin brought.

He won't.

But it's not gonna be as much of a drop off from what you're thinking. Hagelin wasn't exactly a point machine he averaged around a point every 3 games or so. I can see Etem coming pretty close to that, averaging a point every 4 games or so.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I get what you're saying. I just don't think he's going to very effective at it on an NHL level.

We'll see. If you're going to be judging him based on Hagelin you're going to be disappointed.

If you judge him based on his salary and the other elements he brings you could find yourself presently surprised with his game. He could bring decent value for what we're paying him

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Etem hasn't done anything to earn a spot in the lineup. But, you don't cut bait on a young player with his attributes after only four months in your organization. I have my doubts as to whether he'll be successful here. But, it could be that he's biggest value to the organization is as a trade asset at the deadline for playoff help. Glass offers nothing, even as a 13th forward. McIlrath in one period, showed more of what a real deterrent looks like than what Glass has or will ever show. Other than that, it has been wel-documented what anchor Glass is to whatever line he plays on.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
We'll see. If you're going to be judging him based on Hagelin you're going to be disappointed.

If you judge him based on his salary and the other elements he brings you could find yourself presently surprised with his game. He could bring decent value for what we're paying him

Etem hasn't done anything to earn a spot in the lineup. But, you don't cut bait on a young player with his attributes after only four months in your organization. I have my doubts as to whether he'll be successful here. But, it could be that he's biggest value to the organization is as a trade asset at the deadline for playoff help. Glass offers nothing, even as a 13th forward. McIlrath in one period, showed more of what a real deterrent looks like than what Glass has or will ever show. Other than that, it has been wel-documented what anchor Glass is to whatever line he plays on.

I don't think Hags and Etem even belong in the same sentence.

Kill two birds with one stone. Trade Etem straight up for Prust, dump Glass and I'm a happy fan.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015

I disagree. I think his game could prove to be useful for us in the playoffs. Although it's a small sample size he's one of the few players who doesn't experience a dropoff in PPG come playoff time. His PPG in Anaheim for regular season was .27 PPG. For the playoffs it was .29 PPG. Small sample size of only 27 playoff games but his game adjusts well to playoff hockey. These numbers are playing with 4th liners.

Plus he's making $800K. As of now we'd have to do a $ for $ swap and trade him for another guy who is making $800K.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
I don't think Hags and Etem even belong in the same sentence.

Kill two birds with one stone. Trade Etem straight up for Prust, dump Glass and I'm a happy fan.

Prust
Regular Season: .23 PPG
Playoff: .19 PPG
Cap Hit: $2,500,000

Etem
Regular Season: .27 PPG
Playoff: .29 PPG
Cap Hit $850,000

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad