Post-Game Talk: PS #6: Bruins @ Rangers

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
few thoughts on last night game and some bubble guys and where i think they will end up playing..

henrik is ready. he's not a bubble guy but he was owning last night.

jt miller had an active game. very good night. 2nd line rw or 3rd line. offensive upside is showing.

mcilrath looked composed and aggressive but under control. he played a role no other player played last night and that makes a difference. his best night an a nyr. 7th d.

etem was awful again. he looks lost out there. needs more time to acclimate himself but right now, brings very little. marginal player at this point. extra forward or 4th line grinder type.

stalberg was also poor. he's big and fast and all that but he doesnt do anything and again showed his lack of feel for the game with poor shot selection and poor passing. he's at his best when he's chasing and running around. problem is, he could do alot of his best work without a stick. 4th line or healthy scratch guy.

stoll didnt do much really but win a few face-offs and forecheck but he didn't hurt himself much. 4th line fixture this year and someone you can trust on the ice in 1 goals games to help protect leads..

lindberg is ready. 3rd line c or wing. he's too good offensively for the 4th line. I'm impressed.

diaz looked very confident attacking and has a terrific one timer. really loads it and can shoot it hard and accurate. i do like his game as an extra dman. he has a great shot and really, non e of our d have a great shot. in fact, the mostly suck and shooting. i like diaz for that reason alone. i would keep him around. extra D.

tanner glass. gone.

CupWindow

Jul 9, 2015
Yikes! OK scratch that thought lol

You could have bolded the whole thing, not just his salary.

You say Etem doesn't provide enough offensive production and want to trade him for a guy who brings in less offensive production.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. Hopefully Etem can put up .30 ppg this season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Etem has improved every single game so far.

True, he started from a really really low point..but its been noticeable how hes gotten better.

with that said i find it hilarious that nobody wants to give a kid the benefit of the doubt after moving across the country to play a different system, playing man to man hockey, with players hes never played with before.

Etem will need some time. 10-15 games minimum. Rangers have the luxury of depth. they can play him on the 4th line till he learns how to play this system.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

True, he started from a really really low point..but its been noticeable how hes gotten better.

with that said i find it hilarious that nobody wants to give a kid the benefit of the doubt after moving across the country to play a different system, playing man to man hockey, with players hes never played with before.

Etem will need some time. 10-15 games minimum. Rangers have the luxury of depth. they can play him on the 4th line till he learns how to play this system.

It took every player on this roster at least that many games to get accustomed to AV's system, without exception. He definitely gets a pass from me until he can get acclimated to it.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

fair enough. he needs games. i agree but, he looks alot like the same player he was in socal.

not sure what you think more time will do. his skating looks fine. his legs look fresh, he's healthy and seems to have settled in. sure he's with a new organization bit hockeys hockey.

the stuff I'm not seeing- the intuitive play, the feel for the puck (like lindbergs shown) the ability to get involved offensively and look involved (like mcilraths shown), thats been lacking.

and when you talk to ducks fan, they felt the same way. lacking hockey acumen.

not sure these things can be blamed on "new team/needs time".

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
You mean after Klein completely abandoned Connolly going to the net so he could have a wide open tap-in?

he didn't play that very well. you are correct.

swipe with the stick and then let connolly head right to the net without any body.

he pretty much blew it when he let connolly go

Wolfy*

I think they'll try to move Etem, he doesn't look happy here, and his pre-season was meh..

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

That's what the AHL is for and if he gets claimed so be it. This isn't a test experiment.

The Rangers are the finished product and you need to be able to play before you can make it to this level. The season starts Weds and they have to do what's best for the team. Only the best players should be iced.

You can't just put wins, developing chemistry and success moving forward, on a shelf just to accommodate Etem and his supposed "potential"

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I really want mcilrath in the everyday lineup but tough to trade klein at his cap hit when you know you are losing boyle next year.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
You could have bolded the whole thing, not just his salary.

You say Etem doesn't provide enough offensive production and want to trade him for a guy who brings in less offensive production.

Anyways, we'll see what happens. Hopefully Etem can put up .30 ppg this season.

It's not about offence. It's about hockey sense and how he sees the ice. That's what I have a problem with.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
I really want mcilrath in the everyday lineup but tough to trade klein at his cap hit when you know you are losing boyle next year.

Agreed. If anything that makes it more important for big Mac to get lots of NHL experience this year, though. Having him more prepared will soften the blow.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York

If Klein is our 2nd pairing d-man we're in trouble on the blueline anyway. Might as well let McIlrath get experience and see if he can step up next year.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Losing Boyle. Assuming the team is unable to bring in another top 4 RHD (a good chance given our cap situation), that spot is likely to be McIlrath's to lose.

It was a rhetorical question. ;)

But yeah. I agree with your previous post. I just see it happening in the next couple of months, not after the season.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Etem should be 13f and develop on his own time.

Even if he could clear the waivers, I suspect Etem would not learn much in the AHL. He's played 135 games in the NHL, including 23 playoff games, so I'm not sure what he can learn lining up against a no skill scrub like Stortini in the minors. He needs to stick around in the NHL and work through his problems in practice, then get spot assignments in the lineup to work into the AV system easily. Being a 13F is perfect for that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
fair enough. he needs games. i agree but, he looks alot like the same player he was in socal.

not sure what you think more time will do. his skating looks fine. his legs look fresh, he's healthy and seems to have settled in. sure he's with a new organization bit hockeys hockey.

the stuff I'm not seeing- the intuitive play, the feel for the puck (like lindbergs shown) the ability to get involved offensively and look involved (like mcilraths shown), thats been lacking.

and when you talk to ducks fan, they felt the same way. lacking hockey acumen.

not sure these things can be blamed on "new team/needs time".

Both Lindberg and McI played in Hartford, with a similar system I believe, and had been to NYR camp before and knew what to expect about the way they play.

How can you not see the importance of adjusting to the system given that we watched the entire team play like crap to start AV's tenure? His system takes some getting used to. It's been true for nearly every player on this team.

Hockey's hockey. Just go put the rubber thing in the net. Bada boom. So easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad