Post-Game Talk: PS #2 - 09/29/16 | devils @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They look great but you know it'll all go away once one of Staal or Girardi is on the ice for 45 minutes out of 60

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
didnt think holden was bad. both he and klein played well and seemed to keep the game in front of them for the most part. i thought the entire team defense was good.

mcilrath was especially good tonight and for av to say so says alot. i could definitely see the debs feeling the pain potential after every scrum.

pirri has a spot. he's a pp machine. his play away from the puck is average and always has been but thats ok as long as he keeps moving his feet, takes the body and stays active in all 3 zones. there IS room for a guy who can snipe it.

if this team can rotate the newby forwards like mika, pirri, vesey and buchnevich onto both pp units, this team will score some goals. all 4 of those new guys can shoot it. and none of them were here last year. thats going to be huge.

hi

Sell sell sell
May 23, 2008
Only other concern I can think of is Tanner Glass making the team and dragging down the fourth line for 82 games.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
It never ends. Like there isn't anything else and no other concerns to talk about smh

Well, their **** show on the ice never ends, either. They continually drag their teammates--particularly their defensive partners--down to their level of play. It's worth keeping that in the back of our minds as we get excited about the competence these young defensemen are showing in the pre-season.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
And it's only more disheartening watching this team dominate without them, as if we expected any different.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Funny how people see different stuff. I think it's very hard to closely watch multiple players and really remember what they do and how they match up without taking notes and watching the game multiple times to single out their shifts. People will see one bad play and remember it over 10 good plays and say the player had a bad game, or people will see a strong start and have that perception color the rest of their viewing.

As for Pirri, he might not be "good" defensively but I was expecting him to be way more of a floater out there. He at least skates and tries

Konamic Ice Hockey

Jun 13, 2012
Seattle
McI made one bad play on the goal but other then that was good, I think the best overall D tonight. He looks faster and picks his spots to make a hit much better then last season. His board work is really good.
KK looked a bit out of it
Gilmour looked good but his D zone needs work. I think he can become a good PMD, just needs some time in the AHL
Graves and Summers will be in the AHL
Holden was fine, he needs to relax. He reminds me of J. Moore in that he looks like he should be better then he is.

Also I like Buch when he is making plays, they seem to always open up space for his teammates. His shot is good but to me it looks like his real talent is making plays.
V-so-easy is going to be good. Should have had a goal or two

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Only other concern I can think of is Tanner Glass making the team and dragging down the fourth line for 82 games.

Right.. He lost the whole first round of the playoffs all by himself. Had nothing to do with AV's lack of adjusting, the forwards back checking or there being any semblance of a defensive game plan what so ever. I see..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Funny how people see different stuff. I think it's very hard to closely watch multiple players and really remember what they do and how they match up without taking notes and watching the game multiple times to single out their shifts. People will see one bad play and remember it over 10 good plays and say the player had a bad game, or people will see a strong start and have that perception color the rest of their viewing.

As for Pirri, he might not be "good" defensively but I was expecting him to be way more of a floater out there. He at least skates and tries

Funny you mention that because there are 2 former rangers who I feel had their entire tenure with the team defined with those statements.

Michael Del Zotto and Ryan Callahan.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Thought Gilmour looked pretty damn good. McI looked much better but still made one or two gaffes. Overall, very good game from him.

Grabner flies. Gerbe is aggressive and can be a real pest. Fast is Fast. The less you notice him, the better. I think all three would make solid fourth line options.

Lappy didn't look too bad, but he was far too aggressive on one pk and left the right side totally open from the point to the circle.

Butcher looked a bit more comfortable, but I'm still waiting for him to hit the other gear I know is there. He wasn't controlling the PP like he's able to. We'll see how that develops.

Nash looked rejuvenated. Let's hope it continues.

Hayes looked pretty good but forced a bunch of passes to Vesey. Needs to learn to shoot sometimes. Vesey looked pretty good. Some good offensive skill, willing to drive the net, and hustles to get back.

Klein was good. Holden was pretty good, but he made one pass I really didn't look and also carried the puck into his own blue paint to wait at one point. Didn't like that too much.

Pirri was good. Guy just creates. How that translates to real NHL games remains to be seen.

I did not like Summers' game at all.

Graves is looking good but still needs work. He's still ahead of the curve I expected got him, but I'd expect st least one more ahl season.

Skapski solid again.

Wood is a real ***** to play against. Wedgewood made some nice saves.

Last edited:

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Personally.. When I watch/analyze a game I try to watch in 5 man units. I just think it simplifies things in terms of seeing who's doing what and who's out of sync

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Well, their **** show on the ice never ends, either. They continually drag their teammates--particularly their defensive partners--down to their level of play. It's worth keeping that in the back of our minds as we get excited about the competence these young defensemen are showing in the pre-season.

They didn't even play tonight!!

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
But Winnipeg wouldn't. They don't need wingers. They need LHD's. It would have to be something revolving around McD, or maybe if we are lucky, Skjei.

People keep saying that, but think about it...

- He can replace Stafford in the top-6
- Paul Maurice likes Zucc, they worked together in the KHL
- 4.5m for 3 years is a good deal for a team worrying more about money than the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad