Post-Game Talk: PS #2 - 09/29/16 | devils @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Was at the game, a few running thoughts:

Going to be hilarious when Pirri doesn't make this team. All that guy does is finish shots. That's all he's ever done.

Vesey looked better than I expected. Was engaged. It seemed that Hayes was force-feeding him when he could, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Buch was pretty adept at finding open pockets in the offensive zone. Definitely looked a lot better by association with Zib and Kreider.

Nash was a monster. Some really great hustle out of him tonight.

Looked like McIlrath ended up getting pinned in the Rangers zone more often than not. Got beat once clean on a rush that I can remember as well.

Grabner's speed is a pure weapon.

Klein and Holden looked solid to me.

Don't think I focused enough on other players to comment. Will be interesting to see how the charts align with this ;)

Weird I thought Mci played really well and got a lot of shots through.

I kind of agree on Pirri but finishing shots might be enough for him to make the team. The issue is there's a huge, huge gap between his shooting skill and literally any other skill he has.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Weird I thought Mci played really well and got a lot of shots through.

I kind of agree on Pirri but finishing shots might be enough for him to make the team. The issue is there's a huge, huge gap between his shooting skill and literally any other skill he has.

You would be correct!

EDIT - Ignore the title. It's wrong. Forgot to flip it to tonight's game. Stats are right.

bmaRi4c.png

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
As long as Pirri isn't a defensive liability or some kind of slouch with terrible attitude, work ethic, and toxic personality, what's wrong with an one dimensional player that can finish? Short leash if he doesn't finish or if he starts to become a defensive issue but hardly a reason to slot an average two way third liner with average skills over him

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
As long as Pirri isn't a defensive liability or some kind of slouch with terrible attitude, work ethic, and toxic personality, what's wrong with an one dimensional player that can finish? Short leash if he doesn't finish or if he starts to become a defensive issue but hardly a reason to slot an average two way third liner with average skills?

Absolutely nothing. He's already made the team in my mind.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Toews to Marchand shorthanded to take a 2-1 Canada lead with 43 seconds to go. Before that Hossa had a big chance to put Europe ahead.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Was at the game, a few running thoughts:

Going to be hilarious when Pirri doesn't make this team. All that guy does is finish shots. That's all he's ever done.

Vesey looked better than I expected. Was engaged. It seemed that Hayes was force-feeding him when he could, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Buch was pretty adept at finding open pockets in the offensive zone. Definitely looked a lot better by association with Zib and Kreider.

Nash was a monster. Some really great hustle out of him tonight.

Looked like McIlrath ended up getting pinned in the Rangers zone more often than not. Got beat once clean on a rush that I can remember as well.

Grabner's speed is a pure weapon.

Klein and Holden looked solid to me.

Don't think I focused enough on other players to comment. Will be interesting to see how the charts align with this ;)

Pirri is basically a lock to make the team with that "one trick pony" he has. Even if it's on the 4th line and 2nd PP unit. And he hasn't even been that bad away from the puck..certainly not bad enough that outweighs his offense.

I know people view things differently in person vs TV..but Nash didn't look like a monster aside from 2 or 3 shifts on TV.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Pirri is basically a lock to make the team with that "one trick pony" he has. Even if it's on the 4th line and 2nd PP unit. And he hasn't even been that bad away from the puck..certainly not bad enough that outweighs his offense.

I know people view things differently in person vs TV..but Nash didn't look like a monster aside from 2 or 3 shifts on TV.

He's a winger. He doesn't need to be fantastic defensively.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Anyone else still see the 4th line as an issue?
I'd give Grabner his waking papers after tonight.
Other than Fasth and maybe Lap(had a decent game tonight) who else fits in?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Anyone else still see the 4th line as an issue?
I'd give Grabner his waking papers after tonight.
Other than Fasth and maybe Lap(had a decent game tonight) who else fits in?

Grabner is making the team 100%. The Rangers have a large number of options for the 4th line, Gerbe, Jooris, Jensen, Hrivik, and Lindberg when he is healthy. All solid options

LaPierre shouldn't be anywhere near the team

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I just havent really seen enough progress from McIlrath to just give him a regular shift. Holden looked noticeably better than him. I thought Clendening was better than him. Hes running out of time

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I just havent really seen enough progress from McIlrath to just give him a regular shift. Holden looked noticeably better than him. I thought Clendening was better than him. Hes running out of time

I could not disagree more. He was making offense tonight. Holden was a ghost.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Grabner is making the team 100%. The Rangers have a large number of options for the 4th line, Gerbe, Jooris, Jensen, Hrivik, and Lindberg when he is healthy. All solid options

LaPierre shouldn't be anywhere near the team

I don't see any one of them as a viable option except for Linberg who's out injured

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

I didn't think Holden looked good tonight at all. Loving McIlrath's willingness to shoot the puck from the point and throw his body. Holden is a LD anyway. Clendening looked really good but that was one preseason game.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Grabner is expected to play a large PK role and we need his speed.. Can't make such large decions after a B squad pre-season game. Grabner should be an asset this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad