Post-Game Talk: PS #2 - 09/29/16 | devils @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Is water wet?

In all seriousness, he looked better than Tuesday. Still has some kinks to work out, but overall, he looks good.

There was one shot of him on the bench where he looked like he was going to crap his pants. It's tough to adjust when you can barely communicate with your teammates.

You can see his skill though. He's still playing tentative but it's coming together.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I know i lol'd at that too hahah

Could imagine after the offseason the Rangers have already had they trade for Trouba?

That would be insane, and honestly I think it's possible.

Listen, I know Dan Girardi is owed a ton of money, but what if he's promised a position in the front office after retiring? Sure, he won't make the $14M he is locked into making (not like he's earning it at this point), but it will give him something steady that will allow him to live in NY with his family, and still make a decent salary every year..

Of course I am just dreaming -_-

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Broken record syndrome much?

Its so annoying to see this horse just beaten to death. I thought it may have slowed down after last season with people being reasonable about a possible bounce back, but no. There are always a few people who have to let you know that they know last years stats!

They were bad last year. They aren't 40 years old. Its certainly possible that they can bounce back and be decent players this year. It's not a lock that their careers are over.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Its so annoying to see this horse just beaten to death. I thought it may have slowed down after last season with people being reasonable about a possible bounce back, but no. There are always a few people who have to let you know that they know last years stats!

They were bad last year. They aren't 40 years old. Its certainly possible that they can bounce back and be decent players this year. It's not a lock that their careers are over.

Even if he bounces back to his 13-14 form, Girardi is still garbage.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

I think you are underestimating just how bad Girardi was...

He was literally, the worst defenseman in the NHL last year, out of 306 defensemen, and 6 of those defensemen played for Patrick Roy who ran a system of letting way too many shots through.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...&sort=shotAttempts&active=1&aggregate=0&pos=D

There is no such thing as Girardi "bouncing back", not in the way people frame it out to be. Girardi Bouncing Back means back to the 14-15 season levels, which is abysmal to begin with, means he'll be bouncing back from ECHL level defending to 7th defenseman levels... Just because he's going from really ****** to only a little ****** doesn't mean he's actually better to the point where he can contribute

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I'm gonna say it because it needs to be said....as currently constructed Buchnevich should start in Hartford from what I've seen. If he were an American or Canadian kid it wouldn't even be a question. Kid has a ton of skill but is not NHL polished at all. Needs to learn the NA game and the language. It's not size or strength and I have no doubt he'll be a stud, but if we're going off of the games? There are guys better than him right now for the top 9 Gerbe Pirri specifically.

I'm still hoping for a trade to open up room but if it comes down to decisions being made we are better with Pirri and or Gerbe in the lineup than Buchnevich right now. And again love this kid love his skill set but he could use some time in the A. Reading it's not a given that he bolts to khl right away but won't be more than a few weeks in that he'"ll play that card.

Still think a trade is best way to go so he can slot in with CK and Z and kind of learn on the job.

Should be playing every single exhibition game though in the meantime.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Why are people so confident that we're swinging a deal for Trouba? We literally have nothing they want. Skjei is a nice piece, but he's a good prospect, nothing more. Not what Wpg is looking for. Anaheim would have an easier time trading Fowler+ for Trouba than we would trying to make Skjei the center of a package for him. Plus we're broke...

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Why are people so confident that we're swinging a deal for Trouba? We literally have nothing they want. Skjei is a nice piece, but he's a good prospect, nothing more. Not what Wpg is looking for. Anaheim would have an easier time trading Fowler+ for Trouba than we would trying to make Skjei the center of a package for him. Plus we're broke...

Having $3.1 million in cap space is broke. Got it.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

I mean, I think a deal of something like: Zucc and McIlrath, Skjei and Miller, Skjei and Zucc or something would be equal payment for Trouba. I wouldn't necessarily love all of those packages equally but they're options.

The fact is, what WPG wants is only semi relevant becuase their ask is insane and is just not going to happen. They want Trouba or better with a different handedness coming back for Trouba now that everyone knows he doesn't want to be there, won't sign there, and they can't and won't sit him out for an extended time. They're not going to get what they want no matter what. Fowler has many issues IMO, that'd be a bad move for them, and Anaheim is a mess right now trying to take care of their own RFAs.

I dont think NYR are a lock by any means and I have very mixed feelings about the potential packages it'd take, but I think they could make a solid offer.

3rd Guy High

Feb 17, 2010
I'm gonna say it because it needs to be said....as currently constructed Buchnevich should start in Hartford from what I've seen. If he were an American or Canadian kid it wouldn't even be a question. Kid has a ton of skill but is not NHL polished at all. Needs to learn the NA game and the language. It's not size or strength and I have no doubt he'll be a stud, but if we're going off of the games? There are guys better than him right now for the top 9 Gerbe Pirri specifically.

I'm still hoping for a trade to open up room but if it comes down to decisions being made we are better with Pirri and or Gerbe in the lineup than Buchnevich right now. And again love this kid love his skill set but he could use some time in the A. Reading it's not a given that he bolts to khl right away but won't be more than a few weeks in that he'"ll play that card.

Still think a trade is best way to go so he can slot in with CK and Z and kind of learn on the job.

I would agree with you, but if his problem is really getting used to being in NA, being with new teammates and learning the language, being in Hartford won't exactly help him there. Riding the bus to every game is awful and he will have to meet all new teammates yet again, while still not knowing English.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I mean, I think a deal of something like: Zucc and McIlrath, Skjei and Miller, Skjei and Zucc or something would be equal payment for Trouba. I wouldn't necessarily love all of those packages equally but they're options.

The fact is, what WPG wants is only semi relevant becuase their ask is insane and is just not going to happen. They want Trouba or better with a different handedness coming back for Trouba now that everyone knows he doesn't want to be there, won't sign there, and they can't and won't sit him out for an extended time. They're not going to get what they want no matter what. Fowler has many issues IMO, that'd be a bad move for them, and Anaheim is a mess right now trying to take care of their own RFAs.

I dont think NYR are a lock by any means and I have very mixed feelings about the potential packages it'd take, but I think they could make a solid offer.

Exactly. I don't think the Jets have as much leverage in a deal as a lot of people believe. Yes, Trouba runs the risk of losing a year, but, he doesn't have to sign with them.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Exactly. I don't think the Jets have as much leverage in a deal as a lot of people believe. Yes, Trouba runs the risk of losing a year, but, he doesn't have to sign with them.

I don't think they have much leverage at all. If he's not going to sign there, they're up against a wall. Letting him sit a year would idiotic IMO, his value and playing ability would take a very real hit. Luckily, all parties involved have the benefit of Trouba being one of the most sought after type of players in the league right now. Someone will make an offer good enough to live with IMO but WPG is not going to get what they're asking for.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
I think you are underestimating just how bad Girardi was...

He was literally, the worst defenseman in the NHL last year, out of 306 defensemen, and 6 of those defensemen played for Patrick Roy who ran a system of letting way too many shots through.

http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?rep...&sort=shotAttempts&active=1&aggregate=0&pos=D

There is no such thing as Girardi "bouncing back", not in the way people frame it out to be. Girardi Bouncing Back means back to the 14-15 season levels, which is abysmal to begin with, means he'll be bouncing back from ECHL level defending to 7th defenseman levels... Just because he's going from really ****** to only a little ****** doesn't mean he's actually better to the point where he can contribute

To add to this - it's hard to have faith that he will be taken out if he continues his poor play. The poor play is a practical certainty.

The question is not "does he get better?" It's "do they finally do the right thing for team, which up to now they haven't been able to?"

The decisions around Girardi and Glass ... this is what I want to see. It will say a lot about the team going forward.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Perhaps the reason we picked up Pirri is in case Buch goes back to the KHL for a year. I still think that he makes the team however and that a trade may be in order.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
if Buch doesn't make the team out of training camp, AHL seems like a better spot than KHL. He can adjust to the smaller rink, the system and b brought back up as quickly as needed once some injuries hit or guys need to be sat. There is no way I demote Buch because of Gerbe, he's a bottom 3 / spare forward on this team along with Grabner, Fast, Hrivik. Jooris might get sent down if he can't come back from the groin injury and play some preseason games, he can't earn the 4th C or wing spot without playing and so many forwarders here.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

I agree with this.

I also think he'll be one of the first call ups this season and he may even stick.

After playing your entire life on Olympic sized ice, it takes quite a bit if time to adjust to a smaller rink. The speed of the game is so much faster

It's for that very reason why I think he stays. He's not going to learn the NA game playing in the K

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Having $3.1 million in cap space is broke. Got it.

If you have $3.1 million, and desire to obtain something that costs $6 million+, and are unlikely to unload assets in the acquisition that would get you to that $6 million number, then you are broke as far as anyone is concerned. Unless we traded them Zucc or something. These Miller/Skjei/McIlrath offers won't allow us to afford Trouba.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
I agree with this.

I also think he'll be one of the first call ups this season and he may even stick.

After playing your entire life on Olympic sized ice, it takes quite a bit if time to adjust to a smaller rink. The speed of the game is so much faster

It's for that very reason why I think he stays. He's not going to learn the NA game playing in the K

For his first games in NA, I actually think he's adjusted quite well. He's been very effective with everyone he's played with, he is only going to get better.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010

i've said this all along too, just like with McD and Hagelin, ~20-30 AHL games can make a real difference in readiness for NHL icetime

if the kid really wants to run away, rather than be ready, he's not the player we need anyway

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Of course we'd be unloading some assets that would free up additional space to make trouba deal.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If Buch goes back to the KHL it's highly unlikely that it's only for 1 year. That's a scenario the Rangers should be avoiding at all costs right now

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If Buch goes back to the KHL it's highly unlikely that it's only for 1 year. That's a scenario the Rangers should be avoiding at all costs right now
It's not an option for us as far as I'm concerned however like I said if he were an American kid he'd be starting in the A based off the play of others

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree with this.

Yeah some valid points, and the media hype surrounding Buch can be difficult to adapt to as well, but he will probably play more pre-season games before the coaching staff decide anything about his future.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
For his first games in NA, I actually think he's adjusted quite well. He's been very effective with everyone he's played with, he is only going to get better.

I agree with all this.

I do not think Buch goes down to Hartford. It will be easier and faster transition and development to stay up with the Rangers in New York than go down to Hartford because this is what he is most familiar with since coming over and he has proven so far he can play, he still needs time, but the nerves will settle, his English will get better and his comfort level will get better, and the best place for that is in a place he has taken the time to get familiar with this Summer, the New York area, not Hartford.

Some player develop better by being in the NHL, Buch in my opinion is one of them, others develop better for the NHL while playing in the AHL, but that is not the right path for Buch, in my opinion and theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille