Prospect Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
Oh another "somebody dares point out that Jensen is struggling and states the rate of late 1st rounders panning out is low so Id better write an attack post wildly accusing them of saying things like "bust" and "push the panic button" though no one actually said it" post

Nobody is saying he's a bust but some people also have high hopes for a guy who was a late 1st, never had huge numbers in junior, has struggled mightily to score since returning from the SEL, and had some flashes but did not stand out at the prospects camps. The guy has some nice tools but I've never seen him put it all together for an extended period. Even Naslund was a DOMINANT junior scorer who took a long time to adapt to the NHL. I'd like to see Jensen have a strong season somewhere before being told to be patient and wait until he's 26 to see it at the NHL level.

Well i guess i was exaggerating on "push the bust/panic button" part but the kind of expectation those people have, especially the situation he's in, are just too unreasonable and just find it totally hypocritical to me. Just last yr, (almost) everyone was happy he's scoring, now that he's not, ppl r starting to doubt. its like people expect every top prospect to progress every year, and as soon as they regress well this..

Next, let's look at some of few examples of the situation why he's not scoring.
He's coming back from shoulder injury, dont worry dont take your time, score or else
His linemates....let him do everything b.c others wont
His "first" full year ish in NA pro level
new system, new team, new everything
need i go one?

Just like Tiranis said, his scoring will come.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Kind of unfair to compare their junior careers though, Naslund's was legendary due in no small part to some Forsberg guy.

Wasn't my intention to compare but to address the "Naslund took 8 years to break out" comment. Point is Naslund had a dominant junior career - even factoring is his linemate - to justify that patience and at SOME point Jensen needs to actually produce and not just flash his nice skills from time to time. It doesn't have to be this season, but the longer it takes the more he looks like he will fall into the very large pile of skilled juniors who never translated those skills at the NHL level.

Edit: Also pretty unfair to attribute Naslunds junior success to Forsberg, as Naslund demonstrated his elite skills at the NHL level eventually. You could argue Forsberg benefitted from Naslund as much as the other way. Regardless, Naslund earned the role he got with Forsberg, just as Jensen must earn a higher spot in the Comets line up before complaining that he isn't being given a chance.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Liberati will get more ice time in Brampton and Horvat gets a good defenseman to help him in his quest for the Memorial Cup. Good day.

That's two solid boosts to their defence today.

Now you know what they really need is a big forward who can play centre or wing, and is awesome. And whose name rhymes with fendon ponts.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Wasn't my intention to compare but to address the "Naslund took 8 years to break out" comment. Point is Naslund had a dominant junior career - even factoring is his linemate - to justify that patience and at SOME point Jensen needs to actually produce and not just flash his nice skills from time to time. It doesn't have to be this season, but the longer it takes the more he looks like he will fall into the very large pile of skilled juniors who never translated those skills at the NHL level.

He produced in the O, the SEL (or was it the Allsvenskan?) and on the Danish national team. And in his first stint in the AHL.

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Jensen was the best goal scorer in the SEL for his age since Hornqvist and Daniel Sedin.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com

Now you know what they really need is a big forward who can play centre or wing, and is awesome. And whose name rhymes with fendon ponts.

Zach Bell is playing in the ECHL right now. Not sure what will happen with him now.

arsmaster*

I think they need a pure goal scorer. Not many available this year in the OHL. Wouldn' be surprised if the go back to the Battallion and look at overage forward Barclay Goodrow, although tendon ponts might look pretty good anywhere in that lineup from 1LW to 3C.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
I think they need a pure goal scorer. Not many available this year in the OHL. Wouldn' be surprised if the go back to the Battallion and look at overage forward Barclay Goodrow, although tendon ponts might look pretty good anywhere in that lineup from 1LW to 3C.

Alex Basso, Brady Austin and Zach Bell put them at 3 overagers. They also have Paxton Leroux who they can keep for a while (though he can't play without someone else sitting) but will have to dump by the overage roster deadline (not sure when that is).

StringerBell

What would a prospect like Gaunce go for? More than Dvorak but less than Marner?

May 31, 2006
He produced in the O, the SEL (or was it the Allsvenskan?) and on the Danish national team. And in his first stint in the AHL.

His OHL production, especially in his last season, was pretty bad for an offensive player drafted in the first round.

It's nice to see people finally realize that Jensen is a crappy prospect.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Zach Bell is playing in the ECHL right now. Not sure what will happen with him now.

Word over on the London forum is that he's not on the ECHL team's roster any more.

Haha Barclay Goodrow. Probably too busy wearing a sweater tied around his neck and planning his next fox hunt with some Dartmouth friends.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
His OHL production, especially in his last season, was pretty bad for an offensive player drafted in the first round.

It's nice to see people finally realize that Jensen is a crappy prospect.

I always forget the Canuck forum rules:
Point a game isn't good enough.
Empty netters don't count.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I always forget the Canuck forum rules:
Point a game isn't good enough.
Empty netters don't count.

Every first round pick is destined to be a top six forward. Patrick white never happened. Jordans Schroeder never happened. All analysis should be eschewed in favor of a players draft position.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Jensen was the best goal scorer in the SEL for his age since Hornqvist and Daniel Sedin.

His OHL production was middling, particularly his draft +1 year. Same number of points in 4 less games. Not a powerhouse team to be sure, but he certainly didn't help drive the offense either.

SEL stint was a good sign but people get too focussed on the comparables of his 19 year old season. Look at both of those players - Hornqvist and Sedin - in their next season and you'd see that they either took the next step (Sedin) or at least held their production (Hornqvist). Jensen may yet do that but so far he has not. I also have some concern that his only major offensive season came on larger euro-sized ice. Perhaps it suits his skill set better there? As for his first stint in the AHL, that was 8 games played two years ago. Again, a fine start but you generally want to see players build on their early success, not fall back. The NHL is a numbers game and I still vividly recall posters on this board calling Michael Grabner a bust after scoring just 22 goals in his first season in the AHL (20 yo). At this point I'd be very optimistic if Jensen could produce at that level.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
His OHL production was middling, particularly his draft +1 year. Same number of points in 4 less games. Not a powerhouse team to be sure, but he certainly didn't help drive the offense either.

SEL stint was a good sign but people get too focussed on the comparables of his 19 year old season. Look at both of those players - Hornqvist and Sedin - in their next season and you'd see that they either took the next step (Sedin) or at least held their production (Hornqvist). Jensen may yet do that but so far he has not. I also have some concern that his only major offensive season came on larger euro-sized ice. Perhaps it suits his skill set better there? As for his first stint in the AHL, that was 8 games played two years ago. Again, a fine start but you generally want to see players build on their early success, not fall back. The NHL is a numbers game and I still vividly recall posters on this board calling Michael Grabner a bust after scoring just 22 goals in his first season in the AHL (20 yo). At this point I'd be very optimistic if Jensen could produce at that level.

I was just gonna say that your above post is a bit ironic considering the Grabner backdrop. He was a prospect that was maligned for not producing well at lower levels. Could not find purchase during camps, and then they gave up on him. Talented with great speed, but very inconsistent.

Here we have Jensen who is getting a solid amount of shots, but little conversion. Actually has a stellar SEL stint under his belt and at least one very good camp. Let's not give up on this one too early...

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Saw speculation that Erie might be checking out McEneny (I mean Einstein). They're playing against him right now, hopefully he puts on a good show. I'd like some of our prospects to get in on what's going on in Erie, they're looking strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad