Leier-Gaunce-Anderson
Domi/Baptiste

The defense if Dumba is made available has to be lead by

Reinhart-Dumba
Morrisey-Severson
Pouliot-Ekblad
Nurse-Pulock

Now I also forget my 9th dman.

Makes the cuts easier if there are only 3 forward cuts and 2 dmen.

I don't think Wilson would have made even if he was in the CHL, Gauthier has 6 goals, Poirier could still get an invite for sure though. Comes down to Sutter knowing Leier a bit better for me.

I don't see McDavid centering the top like. Also guys like Petan, while very skilled, may not fit in with what Sutter wants from his team. I also don't see Ekblad making it as traditionally Canada doesn't bring a lot of underagers and already having McDavid and Reinhart might be enough for the team to swallow. Curious as to why you don't have Poirier on there? He's been dominant so far this season...

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Lol just read Nurse didn't get an invite. #younggunz #dynastyinthemaking

But seriously I was kind of looking forward to this silly little announcement show so I'm going to stop reading so there's no more spoilers.

arsmaster*

I don't see McDavid centering the top like. Also guys like Petan, while very skilled, may not fit in with what Sutter wants from his team. I also don't see Ekblad making it as traditionally Canada doesn't bring a lot of underagers and already having McDavid and Reinhart might be enough for the team to swallow. Curious as to why you don't have Poirier on there? He's been dominant so far this season...

Wasn't noticeable at the SSS (re: Poirier). I think Canada has better top 6 bets, and better bottom 6 players.

He'll probably get an invite.

Ekblad isn't much of an underager, he has as much CHL experience (and more if including playoffs) than most of the 1995's. Also, Sam Reinhart is but a few weeks too old to have been drafted last year. This is the age group he's played in with HC for a long time. They know what he can do.

McDavid might not be on the top line, but he'd almost be wasted anywhere else. I want to see what he can do with Drouin.:naughty:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Shinkaruk is in.

Medicine Hat @tigershockey captain Hunter Shinkaruk and @WHLKootenayICE captain Sam Reinhart among those invited to WJC Camp for Canada.

Horvat too, obviously. Gaunce is out.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Too bad for Gaunce, but Horvat does everything better than Gaunce. Why take a 4th line defensive centre to the worlds when you can take a 2nd line centre that does everything better? I can see the reasoning for the coaching staff.

Upside is Gaunce gets prime minutes back in the CHL during the tournament and has a bit of motivation to work on his skating, I guess.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Keep in mind that they still need to cut 2 more forwards before the tournament, so Shinkaruk isn't guaranteed a spot yet.

arsmaster*

Too bad for Gaunce, but Horvat does everything better than Gaunce. Why take a 4th line defensive centre to the worlds when you can take a 2nd line centre that does everything better? I can see the reasoning for the coaching staff.

Upside is Gaunce gets prime minutes back in the CHL during the tournament and has a bit of motivation to work on his skating, I guess.

It's all based on Fred Gauthier being a better skater. I'm not impressed with that kid at all, he can skate better than Gaunce, but Brendan controls the wall better.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
It's all based on Fred Gauthier being a better skater. I'm not impressed with that kid at all, he can skate better than Gaunce, but Brendan controls the wall better.

Yeah, I think Gaunce looks like a kid that can at least potentially be a useful bottom 6 player in the NHL. It would have been nice to see him in the tournament. I just don't think it makes a big difference, as I would hope neither will see very much ice time in a short-run tournament.

I think Horvat will open a few eyes around Canada this tournament, and we'll see a lot of envy.

StringerBell

Thoughts on Girard? You like him better than Gauthier?

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
just imagine if we'd picked one of the two dmen some people around here wanted instead of that complete reach of a pick in the 2nd round, we coulda had 3 players making the cut

arsmaster*

Thoughts on Girard? You like him better than Gauthier?

Different player, I'd have taken Leipsic, but I'm much more familiar with the WHL.

Seems he's a projected bottom of the lineup player. He doesn't score often on a pretty dynamic QMJHL team.

Surprised he made it over Poirier. Honestly feel like the Gauthier and Girard invites were to be inclusive of all the leagues. Girard will probably anchor a PK unit with a Lazar or Horvat.

StringerBell

Different player, I'd have taken Leipsic, but I'm much more familiar with the WHL.

Seems he's a projected bottom of the lineup player. He doesn't score often on a pretty dynamic QMJHL team.

Surprised he made it over Poirier. Honestly feel like the Gauthier and Girard invites were to be inclusive of all the leagues. Girard will probably anchor a PK unit with a Lazar or Horvat.

Yup, I was surprised too. Sutter probably wants one of them for his 4th line center -- I would hope the other guy is one of the two cuts. Personally, I would have taken Tierney.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver
Yup, I was surprised too. Sutter probably wants one of them for his 4th line center -- I would hope the other guy is one of the two cuts. Personally, I would have taken Tierney.

Same. I think Tierney would've been a great bottom 6 guy but I guess they liked what they saw from Leier in the Subway Series and went with him for that role.

Stonz

Oct 10, 2006
Burnaby, BC

Seeing so many Flames fans upset about the Poirier exclusion pointing to Shinkaruk's inclusion as a travesty. Amusing and predictable they're not focusing on the more obviously questionable choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad