Prospect Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, I wasn't even surprised when they announced that they had picked him in the third round. Likely wasn't even ranked by most teams in the league.

"Oh, you mean Janmark-Nylen? You've probably never heard of him."

#hipsterredwings

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
:0

Ben Hutton has 7pts in 10gp and is tied for 3rd in team scoring as a defenseman.

That's an insane statline for any sophmore in NCAA hockey, never mind a dman.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

Ben Hutton has 7pts in 10gp and is tied for 3rd in team scoring as a defenseman.

Very nice. Even last season as a (20 yo.) rookie he was tied for 3rd or something in team scoring on a low-scoring U of Maine squad. As a D-man to boot, which was certainly a good sign.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Stats are great but has anyone been watching him play lately? Has he really been playing that well or is he on a bit of a lucky streak?

I watched him play a number of times last season, he was excellent in all three zones. Plays a lot like Edler, except a bit better defensively (at the NCAA level anyways). He was very noticeable in good ways during the summer camps as well.

I've listened to a game this year and it seems like he's their top dman.

Avalanche also has been keeping track of him more than I have this season and he could likely give a better update but that's my 2 cents.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Cole+Cassels+leaves+wondering+What/9129756/story.html

Would love to hear from some more talk about, and perhaps some insight from Oshawa Generals fans, about Cole Cassels, who looks like an absolute steal in the 3rd round thusfar. He has 12G and 28P in 24GP, and looks to be a lock for the US team at the WJHC. Obviously Horvat and Shinkaruk are the golden boys from the draft, but I think we need to seriously start discussing Cassels and how he has real potential to be a middle 6-type forward by his mid 20's.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
http://www.ottawacitizen.com/sports/Cole+Cassels+leaves+wondering+What/9129756/story.html

Would love to hear from some more talk about, and perhaps some insight from Oshawa Generals fans, about Cole Cassels, who looks like an absolute steal in the 3rd round thusfar. He has 12G and 28P in 24GP, and looks to be a lock for the US team at the WJHC. Obviously Horvat and Shinkaruk are the golden boys from the draft, but I think we need to seriously start discussing Cassels and how he has real potential to be a middle 6-type forward by his mid 20's.

He's having a stellar start. Good for him. I like his versatility and 2way game. That draft could have been even better had they kept their 2nd and took William Carrier with it. I thought he would go mid-2nd round but he was there late, so he would have been a good gamble at that spot.

But their top3 picks are all showing promise... a good sign.

avelanch

Feb 9, 2010

Stats are great but has anyone been watching him play lately? Has he really been playing that well or is he on a bit of a lucky streak?

Very nice. Even last season as a (20 yo.) rookie he was tied for 3rd or something in team scoring on a low-scoring U of Maine squad. As a D-man to boot, which was certainly a good sign.

I watched him play a number of times last season, he was excellent in all three zones. Plays a lot like Edler, except a bit better defensively (at the NCAA level anyways). He was very noticeable in good ways during the summer camps as well.

I've listened to a game this year and it seems like he's their top dman.

Avalanche also has been keeping track of him more than I have this season and he could likely give a better update but that's my 2 cents.
I caught a couple games on TV this season (american television and their college sports :P), and he's genuinely been playing that good. He's always noticeable (for the right reasons) and I haven't seen him make a bad play yet. Big, strong and fast, at least compared to his current competition, I'm always impressed with him.

The coach seems to really like him and puts him out in all situations, including a 3 on 5 short handed situation this past weekend where he was able to score a shortie on... yes, a d-man scored a shortie on a 3 on 5 penalty kill... Against Boston University. It was a squeaker, but when you are playing good, luck is on your side.

More people need to pay attention to him, IMHO, because he's going to "come out of nowhere" in a couple of years and start impressing.

arsmaster*

He's having a stellar start. Good for him. I like his versatility and 2way game. That draft could have been even better had they kept their 2nd and took William Carrier with it. I thought he would go mid-2nd round but he was there late, so he would have been a good gamble at that spot.

But their top3 picks are all showing promise... a good sign.

There are probably a dozen players that were available late 2nd that would have made this an A+ draft instead of the solid A it is currently holding.

Baptiste, Bjorkstrand, Hayden, Tambellini, Kujawinski etc

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
I caught a couple games on TV this season (american television and their college sports :P), and he's genuinely been playing that good. He's always noticeable (for the right reasons) and I haven't seen him make a bad play yet. Big, strong and fast, at least compared to his current competition, I'm always impressed with him.

The coach seems to really like him and puts him out in all situations, including a 3 on 5 short handed situation this past weekend where he was able to score a shortie on... yes, a d-man scored a shortie on a 3 on 5 penalty kill... Against Boston University. It was a squeaker, but when you are playing good, luck is on your side.

More people need to pay attention to him, IMHO, because he's going to "come out of nowhere" in a couple of years and start impressing.

Thanks for the insight.

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Earlier in this thread (or the previous one) people were comparing Cassels' and Horvat's ppg. Well Horvat now has the same amount of points in 5 less games.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
can we call up jensen? he can't be worst than booth right?

Jensen has 2 goals and 6 points in his last 30 professional games. It's basically the identical scoring rate as Booth (3 goals and 9 points in his last 45), only in the AHL.

Guy is nowhere near playing in the NHL. And the way he's going, he probably never will be.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
Anybody else pumped for Thursday?

Going to be great getting a chance to see Gaunce and Horvat play.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
Jensen has 2 goals and 6 points in his last 30 professional games. It's basically the identical scoring rate as Booth (3 goals and 9 points in his last 45), only in the AHL.

Guy is nowhere near playing in the NHL. And the way he's going, he probably never will be.

I know, right.

How can the guy not be putting up points playing with that scoring dynamo Kellan Lain?

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
From reports it seems Jensen has improved compared to last year. This is still his first year of his ELC so we need to be patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->