Prospect Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I know, right.

How can the guy not be putting up points playing with that scoring dynamo Kellan Lain?

The fact that he's not getting huge minutes in the AHL is hardly a point in his favour.

The success rate of NHL #1 picks who haven't established themselves as NHL regulars by the third season after they were drafted is <20%.

As a guy struggling to do anything in the AHL at this stage of the game, it's just an outright fact that he is unlikely to become an NHL regular. He's not a 'bust' quite yet or a write-off, but right now it's far more likely that he'll be a bust than an NHL player.

Especially when he's a top-6/bust guy who offers nothing in the way of intangibles and won't be hanging around the league as a useful bottom-6 player.

It was a late #1 pick in a not-very-good draft, and he was a reasonable selection at the time, but right now he's not a very good prospect and has little trade value.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Need to send Dalpe down when we get the team healthy to give Jensen a centre. If he still sucks well - trade bait.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
The fact that he's not getting huge minutes in the AHL is hardly a point in his favour.

The success rate of NHL #1 picks who haven't established themselves as NHL regulars by the third season after they were drafted is <20%.

As a guy struggling to do anything in the AHL at this stage of the game, it's just an outright fact that he is unlikely to become an NHL regular. He's not a 'bust' quite yet or a write-off, but right now it's far more likely that he'll be a bust than an NHL player.

Especially when he's a top-6/bust guy who offers nothing in the way of intangibles and won't be hanging around the league as a useful bottom-6 player.

It was a late #1 pick in a not-very-good draft, and he was a reasonable selection at the time, but right now he's not a very good prospect and has little trade value.

Though I'm a bit more optimistic than you about Jensen, I must say that he doesn't inspire much confidence in me regardless of the minutes or linemates he's given; I would expect at minimum .4 PPG with what he's given especially since he's advertised as a top 6 forward and not a bottom 6 grinder.

I mean, looking at Grenier, coming from a league a couple tiers lower than where Jensen was last year in Europe and is doing reasonably well though he is playing with Pelletier.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
If Jensen doesn't turn out, its gonna be so disappointing. Considering how guys like Tomas Jurco, Gibson, Jaskin, Kucherov, Clendening, Brett Ritchie, Ryan Sproul, Trocheck and Jenner have progressed and has success so far into the beginning of their 1st pro season. Was happy when we took Jensen but he's really struggling in Ultica. I am really hoping its just the team since even guys like Zac Dalpe is only putting up 3 points in 6 games so far. That team is just an offensive black hole. Still early but Ultica needs some help down there big time.

Nov 1, 2011
If Jensen doesn't turn out, its gonna be so disappointing. Considering how guys like Tomas Jurco, Gibson, Jaskin, Kucherov, Clendening, Brett Ritchie, Ryan Sproul, Trocheck and Jenner have progressed and has success so far into the beginning of their 1st pro season. Was happy when we took Jensen but he's really struggling in Ultica. I am really hoping its just the team since even guys like Zac Dalpe is only putting up 3 points in 6 games so far. That team is just an offensive black hole. Still early but Ultica needs some help down there big time.

Forgot Sadd who TSN had #1 available on their list when we picked...would we be looking for a top 6 winger if we had him?

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013

You have to wonder if going to the SHL was really the right choice for his development.

Would he have benefited more from another season in junior? Because he has really struggled, ever since coming back from Europe.

He scored at an amazing pace for a rookie with AIK. He has a great shot and with the extra ice over there, in Europe, he's going to score goals.

With that being said, do you think that could have given him a false sense of security?

Now, I'm not writing him off, or anything, but it's definitely a surprise how much he has struggled thus far.

Craz1bo1

Feb 9, 2013
oh jesus another "oh hey, Jensen isnt scoring again...0 points in 3 games..push the bust/panic button!" discussion....
If you expect him to score like crazy.....well be prepare to be disdapoint

I wouldn't say anybody is pushing the panic button, but hey, it happens when your prospect cupboards are so barren.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I dare say even someone like Welsh would be a better center for Jensen than Lain or Hamill who he's spent time with.

TBIF

Jan 8, 2011
I know it doesn't work this way for prospects, so don't start attacking me saying I'm suggesting anything.

But to me, Jensen seems to be one of those guys that needs to be in a big league, big position to do well. I don't know a better way to word that.

I see him as more of a really good complimentary player, who needs good line mates to excel.

He won't hinder a line, but won't carry a line kind of guy.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
oh jesus another "oh hey, Jensen isnt scoring again...0 points in 3 games..push the bust/panic button!" discussion....

2 goals in 28 AHL games in the last 2 seasons and 0 goals this season. he's got 6 goal in his first 8 games with the Wolves 2 years ago. You have to be concerned with his development playing NA hockey.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Jensen's development is a lot like Naslunds. I hope we give this guy a few years to mature ... he needs complimentary players to help reach his potential.

Naslund was 26 before he started to really produce, then he was the teams top scorer the next 8 years if I remember correctly. For that matter its similar to Dank as well, 26 when people stopped saying they should be traded for a bag of pucks.

Will he reach elite status too? Definately a long shot, but the kid is only 20.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
Wouldn't surprise me if he goes on a scoring streak sooner than later. He's shooting a ton and creating good chances. Just needs to convert. Not all too different from Kesler at the beginning of the season when everyone was panicking.

I wouldn't say effort or two-way game has been an issue.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Oh another "somebody dares point out that Jensen is struggling and states the rate of late 1st rounders panning out is low so Id better write an attack post wildly accusing them of saying things like "bust" and "push the panic button" though no one actually said it" post

Nobody is saying he's a bust but some people also have high hopes for a guy who was a late 1st, never had huge numbers in junior, has struggled mightily to score since returning from the SEL, and had some flashes but did not stand out at the prospects camps. The guy has some nice tools but I've never seen him put it all together for an extended period. Even Naslund was a DOMINANT junior scorer who took a long time to adapt to the NHL. I'd like to see Jensen have a strong season somewhere before being told to be patient and wait until he's 26 to see it at the NHL level.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Is it a holiday in Ontario today or something? There's 3 morning OHL games. Belleville and Kitchener both in action in the next 15 mins.

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
Oh another "somebody dares point out that Jensen is struggling and states the rate of late 1st rounders panning out is low so Id better write an attack post wildly accusing them of saying things like "bust" and "push the panic button" though no one actually said it" post

Nobody is saying he's a bust but some people also have high hopes for a guy who was a late 1st, never had huge numbers in junior, has struggled mightily to score since returning from the SEL, and had some flashes but did not stand out at the prospects camps. The guy has some nice tools but I've never seen him put it all together for an extended period. Even Naslund was a DOMINANT junior scorer who took a long time to adapt to the NHL. I'd like to see Jensen have a strong season somewhere before being told to be patient and wait until he's 26 to see it at the NHL level.

Kind of unfair to compare their junior careers though, Naslund's was legendary due in no small part to some Forsberg guy.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Attachments

• ford.png
    ford.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad