Prospect Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nov 1, 2011
Review of Shink so far...bleh.

Playing a very perimeter game.

StringerBell

Shinkaruk in a line brawl against the Giants after the final whistle!

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
I emailed a poster from the Knights board who pm'd me his email. This was his response for my question on Horvat's play this season.

"Hi Canuckee,

I got your email just*as I was heading out the door for Kingston.

Just finished 4-2 London. Bo 1* asst. On to Belleville vs Brendan Gaunce tomorrow night.

I have been a Knights season ticket holder for over 30 years.

My daughters moved out three years ago and I asked my wife if we could get a hockey player.

Bo was assigned to us. I had*watched him play Jr. B as well.

He is a great kid but expensive to feed. He has really changed our lifestyle.

I have attended the last three Memorial Cups and the NHL*Draft in New Jersey last June.

I am one of Bo's biggest fans but also one of his worst critics.

He is a great three way player and great on the faceoff.

He is a tremendous playoff performer.

BUT.......

His first three strides are too slow for the NHL

He needs to get tougher. I tell him to run a goalie once in a while.

Bo was disappointed getting sent back after*the exhibitions games*and it affected his play.

He might get sent back next year as well. Gaunce and Shinkarik? are more NHL ready IMHO.

The way Vancouver manages their young kids (like Cody Hodgins) is sad.

I won't be surprised if Bo gets traded if you guys make a run next spring.

That's my Bo story...."

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
I emailed a poster from the Knights board who pm'd me his email. This was his response for my question on Horvat's play this season.

"Hi Canuckee,

Just finished 4-2 London. Bo 1* asst. On to Belleville vs Brendan Gaunce tomorrow night.

My daughters moved out three years ago and I asked my wife if we could get a hockey player.

I have attended the last three Memorial Cups and the NHL*Draft in New Jersey last June.

BUT.......

Bo was disappointed getting sent back after*the exhibitions games*and it affected his play.

He might get sent back next year as well. Gaunce and Shinkarik? are more NHL ready IMHO.

That's my Bo story...."

Well I don't wanna come across rude but guy sounds like an idiot

one player=how we manage young kids
and why would we trade him

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Well I don't wanna come across rude but guy sounds like an idiot

one player=how we manage young kids
and why would we trade him

Well he is from Ontario :sarcasm:

Can anyone post a review of the Giants game? Im moving into our new house so couldn't listen

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

"Hi Canuckee,

BUT.......

That's my Bo story...."

That's cool that Horvat's billet is a member of these boards.

Not the most encouraging comments though. :( I find it funny that someone way out East is even aware of how this organization handles their young players. Obviously there's a rep here...

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
That's cool that Horvat's billet is a member of these boards.

Not the most encouraging comments though. :( I find it funny that someone way out East is even aware of how this organization handles their young players. Obviously there's a rep here...

Cody Hodgson and who?

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary

"Hi Canuckee,

BUT.......

That's my Bo story...."

Hm cool read. Thanks for sharing.

just22

Aug 2, 2009

Not really. Just because a prospect gets traded doesn't mean it's mismanagement. Florida waiving him on the other hand...

Oh, and chalk this up as another person from Ontario who knows nothing about the Canucks.

tc 23

#GaunceForGM
Dec 11, 2012
Vancouver

Thanks for the share, Canuckee.

Very interesting thoughts from Bo's billet but I'm going to take what's said with a grain of salt. While the guy seems nice and all, I question whether or not he's a good influence on Bo. The way he goes out of his way to negatively comment about the organization when asked about Bo's play this year makes it seem as if he simply dislikes the Canucks organization. From all accounts, Gillis and co. absolutely love Bo and viewed him as high as the 7th best player in the draft (possibly higher) - certainly not a piece that would be given up so easily. He also mentions the Hodgson situation and uses that as evidence that Vancouver apparently mishandles young players poorly, as if on the same breath as an organization like Columbus. One player does not make a trend - we've developed other tremendous young talent. Our entire core consists virtually of Vancouver draft picks and up-and-coming players like Frank Corrado and Nicklas Jensen certainly don't seem to have any complaints with the way they've been handled.

His comments also sound harsher than that of someone who's Bo's biggest fan, whether or not he's a hard critic. As he is a follower of the OHL, I doubt he's seen much, if any, of Shinkaruk and yet he's quick to believe that Shinkaruk is already more NHL-ready than Bo. That's rather harsh for a guy who's supposedly his biggest fan - even King of the ES noted that he believes Bo to be more NHL-ready than Shinkaruk....

There's also two comments that I'm very iffy about - the comment that being sent back affected his play and the comment that Bo should run a goalie every once in a while. It's quite obvious that Bo took his return to juniors well - he's consistently mentioned that he learned a lot from the NHL regulars (notably the twins, Kesler, Burrows) and has improved his game since then. It even shows on the scoreboard - 0.91 P/G to 1.4 P/G so far this year. If that's "affecting his play" then I sure as hope his play continues to be affected for the rest of his career. I also vehemently disagree with his suggestion that Bo should be running goalies. He's not a dirty player. He shouldn't be a dirty player. He doesn't need to take selfish penalties like that. I don't want Bo developing a reputation like Domi currently is.

All in all, I appreciate what he's done thus far in helping Bo and supporting him during his OHL career but I hope Bo doesn't take much from this guy as he moves onto the next level.

Last edited:

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
One player does not make a trend - we've developed other tremendous young talent. Our entire core consists virtually of Vancouver draft picks and up-and-coming players like Frank Corrado and Nicklas Jensen certainly don't seem to have any complaints with the way they've been handled.

To be fair our entire core was drafted/developed under a different administration. Gillis has certainly not drafted any "tremendous" talent, and Corrado was sent back to Utica after proving he could play with the big club last year and Jensen is far from the model prospect with his current AHL play.

I'm not saying that these decisions are bad or Gillis' fault in any way, but we certainly don't have a track record as a "good" development team under Gillis imo. Yet, at least.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I don't put too much stock into his opinions on the Canucks as he likely hasn't followed the Canucks at all until Bo got drafted, while getting all his Canucks info from the slanted Toronto press.

The hockey stuff about Bo is cool though. This is a guy that probably watches London games a lot with a focus on Bo, so I'd trust his opinions on that front. However Bo was the most ready looking out of Shinkaruk and Bo from the exhibition games. I can see a prospect getting down for a few games after thinking he might have had a chance, going back the OHL would be a downer, but he's bounced back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad