Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYI Okposo

Jul 1, 2014
My knowledge for hockey is pretty slim as i stated in previous threads. Doesn't is come to a point where you bring the young prospects up for defense and let the best man win the final spot.

3 locks for spots on our Defense is:

CDH
Hammer
Lubo

Let the rest battle out the remaining 3 spots. I view CDH Hammer and Lubo as established top 4 guys with Lubo starting to regress but that i only expected.

We got Big Griff, Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock,Pedan, and Donovan to battle out for 1 to 2 spots.

You would think that a few of those guys can emerge into something and play with Hickey or perhaps Strait.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
My knowledge for hockey is pretty slim as i stated in previous threads. Doesn't is come to a point where you bring the young prospects up for defense and let the best man win the final spot.

CDH
Hammer
Lubo

Let the rest battle out the remaining 3 spots. I view CDH Hammer and Lubo as established top 4 guys with Lubo starting to regress but that i only expected.

We got Big Griff, Pokka, Pelech, Mayfield, Pulock,Pedan, and Donovan to battle out for 1 to 2 spots.

You would think that a few of those guys can emerge into something and play with Hickey or perhaps Strait.

I think you need to add Hickey as a lock on the bottom pairing, he played a great possession game with Viz, but I think you need to slot Viz with Reinhart, and the Isles need to find a top 4 defenseman to play with Hickey.

CDH-Hammer
Hickey-xxxx
Griff-Viz

NYI Okposo

Jul 1, 2014
I think you need to add Hickey as a lock on the bottom pairing, he played a great possession game with Viz, but I think you need to slot Viz with Reinhart, and the Isles need to find a top 4 defenseman to play with Hickey.

CDH-Hammer
Hickey-xxxx
Griff-Viz

any possible free agents left? or is our only option to start trading some prospects?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
any possible free agents left? or is our only option to start trading some prospects?

Here is a list of the remaining free agent defensemen..

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Pretty dry if you ask me, plus a lot of left handed shots.

As a result of signing Kulemin and Grabovski, there is now a logjam at the forward position. It seems likely that one of Bailey or Grabner will be used as a trade chip along with a defensive prospect (not named Reinhart or Pulock) to get a defenseman to play second pairing minutes while our prospects develop.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site

CDH
Hammer
Lubo

some guys you can send to the minors, and they will not be claimed by another team. usually young guys, on Entry Level Contracts (ELC). older, more established players can get claimed by other teams, when they are sent to the minors. makes things a bit more complicated. if a young guy surpasses a vet, then the team should try and trade the vet, rather than risk sending him to the minors, and having another team claim him.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Here is a list of the remaining free agent defensemen..

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

Pretty dry if you ask me, plus a lot of left handed shots.

As a result of signing Kulemin and Grabovski, there is now a logjam at the forward position. It seems likely that one of Bailey or Grabner will be used as a trade chip along with a defensive prospect (not named Reinhart or Pulock) to get a defenseman to play second pairing minutes while our prospects develop.

It certainly seems like Grabner is the most likely to go and that the Isles want to upgrade from Hickey. I think Staple tweeted earlier today.

It is nice to have some depth up front for a change, it's been a long time coming. This also means that Dal Colle will be getting plenty of development time before he has a chance to crack the lineup, same for Ho-Sang who is likely on a more prolonged development path than MDC. I think both will get 2 more years in the OHL and then AHL time, the new found depth will allow the Isles to bring them along slowly.

Another consideration is that Bridgeport has some talent and depth up front now with the other signings. Thompson is back as HC in the AHL and he has plenty of young d-men to develop. Success at the AHL level can only be a good thing.

I think Snow will be pursuing a veteran d-man who can play in the top-4, but he can take his time now.

scott99

May 13, 2005
It certainly seems like Grabner is the most likely to go and that the Isles want to upgrade from Hickey. I think Staple tweeted earlier today.

It is nice to have some depth up front for a change, it's been a long time coming. This also means that Dal Colle will be getting plenty of development time before he has a chance to crack the lineup, same for Ho-Sang who is likely on a more prolonged development path than MDC. I think both will get 2 more years in the OHL and then AHL time, the new found depth will allow the Isles to bring them along slowly.

Another consideration is that Bridgeport has some talent and depth up front now with the other signings. Thompson is back as HC in the AHL and he has plenty of young d-men to develop. Success at the AHL level can only be a good thing.

I think Snow will be pursuing a veteran d-man who can play in the top-4, but he can take his time now.
I'd be thrilled if Dal Colle and Ho-Sang spend 2 more years in juniors. People need to temper their expectations as far as results though. I believe both players will be losing key teammates they had success playing along with.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

What do you think about a Thomas Hickey/Nick Leddy swap? Isles would have to add a pick and/or prospect but I think Hickey could fill Leddy's role on the Hawks third pairing well, and is making peanuts.

It's also insulation for guys like Strome, Nelson, and Lee. That is huge.

Snow definitely reloaded Bridgeport with some talent this offseason and it allows him flexibility to make a move if an opportunity were to arise.

Imagine bringing in Leddy and Boychuk this offseason for our second pairing?

Hickey, Pokka, 3rd for Leddy

Grabner/Bailey, Donovan or Pelech for Boychuk

Obviously just spitballing, but that would be another revamp by Snow after bringing in Halak/Johnson and Mule/Grabo.

scott99

May 13, 2005
What do you think about a Thomas Hickey/Nick Leddy swap? Isles would have to add a pick and/or prospect but I think Hickey could fill Leddy's role on the Hawks third pairing well, and is making peanuts.

Snow definitely reloaded Bridgeport with some talent this offseason and it allows him flexibility to make a move if an opportunity were to arise.

Obviously just spitballing, but that would be another revamp by Snow after bringing in Halak/Johnson and Mule/Grabo.

SO glad you aren't our GM. Huge overpayment for Leddy.

scott99

May 13, 2005
In a weird round about way, we have up Leddy in the de Haan trade. The players drafted in the picks we gave up were Leddy, Matt Hackett, Matt Haula. We wound up with de Haan, Nilsson and Cizikas from the trade. Oh yeah, I think Kyle Palmeri was involved as well.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

Yeah, I agree with SCOTT...too much for Leddy, although I like him. Also, I really would prefer not to part with Pokka, Pulock, and Pelech (in that order...assuming Reinhart is an untouchable). I recognize you have to pay to play, and a trade has to hurt or else it is not realistic. I would prefer Bailey and Donovan, for Boychuk. I'm not sure Boston would do that, though.

Isles5513

Please don't lose
May 18, 2014
Long Island

TheZec

Mar 19, 2010
I would be very wary to trade Pokka, I think he may end up being the best of our defensive prospects, better than Reinhart. He reminds me very much of Josi, whom I absolutely love.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I'd be thrilled if Dal Colle and Ho-Sang spend 2 more years in juniors. People need to temper their expectations as far as results though. I believe both players will be losing key teammates they had success playing along with.

I think (for the first time in a long time) we have enough depth to actually let them hang out there.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
People keep bringing up Pokka in trade talks but didn't he play with men in Finland? He seems to be further along in his development than Pulock and closer to making the team. Are people just dangling Pokka instead of Pulock because of his shot? Just curious, because it seems like Pokka has overtaken Pulock as the better prospect from what I've read. I'm not sure though, just my impression from other articles and posts.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
People keep bringing up Pokka in trade talks but didn't he play with men in Finland? He seems to be further along in his development than Pulock and closer to making the team. Are people just dangling Pokka instead of Pulock because of his shot? Just curious, because it seems like Pokka has overtaken Pulock as the better prospect from what I've read. I'm not sure though, just my impression from other articles and posts.

In his interview Garth listed both Pulock AND Pokka (along with Renhart, Hamonic, de haan) as examples of drafting their own top 4 defenceman. I think both are safe for now. As for whose better at this point? It's irrelevant, neither will start the season with the Islanders. Let's see where they are at seasons end.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
given the value of top 4 defencemen, i hope Garth hangs on to all of our kids. some will have to be moved, of course, but not before we can give them a proper try.

may be getting ahead of myself, but can't wait for 2015/6! :D

crasherino

May 9, 2013
In his interview Garth listed both Pulock AND Pokka (along with Renhart, Hamonic, de haan) as examples of drafting their own top 4 defenceman. I think both are safe for now. As for whose better at this point? It's irrelevant, neither will start the season with the Islanders. Let's see where they are at seasons end.

Sometimes I wish we could hit the fast forward button. Our whole defensive corp is right in front of our eyes. We just need to give it 1.5 - 2 years. That's 5 legit potential top 4 DMen you listed. Plus we have an additional group of Pelech, Mayfield, Pedan, etc. to round out the pairings.

It's hard to be patient!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad