Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
This is a pointless game we are playing. What if we took Duchenne 1st overall????

It's easy to pick the superstars looking back.

here here! i have found myself in the 'coulda, shoulda, woulda' state of mind before, but learned that it doesn't do much for my happiness levels. in fact, it can make one downright miserable.

what do we have? did we learn from our mistakes? what's the plan, going forward? how do we make it better?

much better questions...

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
This is a pointless game we are playing. What if we took Duchenne 1st overall????

It's easy to pick the superstars looking back.

people think it's easy. it's actually far easier to find duds than gems.

look back at the islander draft picks in the first 4 years of the rebuild (2008 through 2011). look at some of the names that were drafted 1 to 5 slots behind where the islanders selected. sure occasionally you'll find a nice player. you'll also see names you have never heard of nor never will hear of.

what if the islanders drafted these players instead?

Kyle beach
yann sauve
Danny Kristo
James Livingston
Mathieu broduer
Andrew Campbell
Jordon southorn
Mikhail stefanvich
Joel champagne
Julien cayer
Matt tassone
grant rohlheiser
Brayden schenn
Louis Leblanc
Chris brown
josh birkholz
Alex hutchings
Cody sol
Jimmy bubnick
Dylan mcillrath
Danny biega
Matt Mackenzie
Jason Wilson
tiegan zahn
Duncan Siemens
magnus hellburg
Alex ruuttu
Joe cramarossen
tom Nilsson
Fred Clarkson
Jordan fransoo

on and on. now what if that was what the first four years of draft picks yielded (all of those were selections made right after Garth did, within 5 picks)

instead theres Bailey doesn't look so bad now, does he?), harmonic, Donovan, Poulin, Martin, tavares, de haan, cizikas, Lee, Brock, Nilsson, Koskonin Strome, Mayfield and of course Clutterbuck via nino and many others.

my point? it's foolish to go back and look at one single selection and wish it were someone else after the fact.
that said Garth will rue the day he drafted crumby goalies over Hudson fasching and braydon point;)

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
^^^^^^^

exactly.....drafting is really the only area we cannot complain about in garth's tenure

I don't know how much credit Trent Klatt deserves, but the drafting AND development of our premium picks (top 2 rounds) has been excellent since he took over.

Since the 2011 Draft, the emphasis on hockey sense, character, and skill have been on full display. Can't say I disagree with that.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I could be wrong but I thought we picked Mayfield in that spot because we basically had no size among our defensive prospects at the time. Goaltending was looking pretty good with Poulin, Nilsson, and Koskinen. Of course, since then, Poulin got hurt and hasn't been the same, Nilsson got sick and hasn't been the same, and Koskinen was just not good and we should have chosen Lehner or Ryan O'Reilly at that spot.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
I could be wrong but I thought we picked Mayfield in that spot because we basically had no size among our defensive prospects at the time. Goaltending was looking pretty good with Poulin, Nilsson, and Koskinen. Of course, since then, Poulin got hurt and hasn't been the same, Nilsson got sick and hasn't been the same, and Koskinen was just not good and we should have chosen Lehner or Ryan O'Reilly at that spot.

its nice to have goalie depth, but when you have a proven guy under the age of 30 locked up for term, it really isnt that big of an issue IMO....not only that we do have some young goalies with promise, specifically sororkin (sp?).....they havent proven anything, but in a few years we might have something..

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know how much credit Trent Klatt deserves, but the drafting AND development of our premium picks (top 2 rounds) has been excellent since he took over.

Since the 2011 Draft, the emphasis on hockey sense, character, and skill have been on full display. Can't say I disagree with that.

I'd say those were the top things under Jankowski too, with maybe now more emphasis on size under Klatt. But you have to wonder whether it's not Snow who drives these things since they're pretty much the same under 2 different guys.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I don't think there's one particular guy who decides what emphasis to have, but more as a result of meetings throughout the season. Hockey sense and character have always been high on their list but other attributes could change from year to year

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Who's our goalie coach? After we let go of Sudsy, I don't think we hired a replacement.....or did we? If so, that dude is not doing a good job.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I could be wrong but I thought we picked Mayfield in that spot because we basically had no size among our defensive prospects at the time.

If memory serves properly, Mayfield was expected to go in the first round and many of us were thrilled he fell to us at#35. Garth pretty much ran up to the podium to make the pick before anyone tried to change his mind.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If memory serves properly, Mayfield was expected to go in the first round and many of us were thrilled he fell to us at#35. Garth pretty much ran up to the podium to make the pick before anyone tried to change his mind.

Mayfield went right around where he should have according to the rankings, he was a fringe 1st rounder. I wanted him specifically when round 2 started, I was thrilled with the pick. We needed a big RH d-man at that time.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Mayfield went right around where he should have according to the rankings, he was a fringe 1st rounder. I wanted him specifically when round 2 started, I was thrilled with the pick. We needed a big RH d-man at that time.

I loved the pick. He's got great size, pretty good skater for his size, some toughness as well (though he needs to learn how to fight). In hindsight, sure wish we picked Gibson or Saad, but still like the Mayfield pick. I think he needs to learn how to skate backwards and side to side better, he got beat big time by Ho-Sang on that breakaway (so did Pedan), and in one of his NHL games he was beaten on an inside-outside move.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Had a great time at the Prospects game with the family. We have a stupid amount of talent. Reinhart shuts **** down! Ho-Sang stole the show. Kid can fly and stick handle with the best of them. The biggest thing I was impressed with him was his on ice vision a d Passing ability. He was making sick passes and putting his line mates in great position to score and make plays ala JT. Kids gonna be good if we continue to develop him the right way.

Dal Colle- he was held off the score sheet and was shut down by Griff the whole night and that's nothi g to be down about because that's what Griff does. MDC is a complete player though and has a great feel for the game. His skating ability is better than I thought and he reaches top speed very quick withing a couple of strides. He flew into the offensive zone many times and drives the net well. He released a nasty wrist shot of the post.
All the boys were great after the game signing and taking pictures. I got autographs on an isles hate from Griff Pulock Strome dal Colle and Ho-Sang. They also took pictures with my daughter and were all reall nice young men.

Ho-Sang is a big personality in a good way. You could te all his team mates love him. He came out with a whole pizza box to sign autographs and he had the bigest line.

I was one if the last ones one the Ho-Sang dal Colle line and they both spoke to me and my famil afterwards. I met Dal Colles father and spoke to him for a bit too. These kids come from great family's. I am so prou d to be an isles can and I reall feel excited about our future. Even if o my half these guys pan out we will be good.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
Had a great time at the Prospects game with the family. We have a stupid amount of talent. Reinhart shuts **** down! Ho-Sang stole the show. Kid can fly and stick handle with the best of them. The biggest thing I was impressed with him was his on ice vision a d Passing ability. He was making sick passes and putting his line mates in great position to score and make plays ala JT. Kids gonna be good if we continue to develop him the right way.

Dal Colle- he was held off the score sheet and was shut down by Griff the whole night and that's nothi g to be down about because that's what Griff does. MDC is a complete player though and has a great feel for the game. His skating ability is better than I thought and he reaches top speed very quick withing a couple of strides. He flew into the offensive zone many times and drives the net well. He released a nasty wrist shot of the post.
All the boys were great after the game signing and taking pictures. I got autographs on an isles hate from Griff Pulock Strome dal Colle and Ho-Sang. They also took pictures with my daughter and were all reall nice young men.

Ho-Sang is a big personality in a good way. You could te all his team mates love him. He came out with a whole pizza box to sign autographs and he had the bigest line.

I was one if the last ones one the Ho-Sang dal Colle line and they both spoke to me and my famil afterwards. I met Dal Colles father and spoke to him for a bit too. These kids come from great family's. I am so prou d to be an isles can and I reall feel excited about our future. Even if o my half these guys pan out we will be good.

Wow, you must have been on line for hours.

I was on the Strome line (we guessed wrong) for Ho Sang and decided to bail after getting Stromie's autograph. I had to be up too early to wait around for the other lines.

I wish they did this like a few years ago - on a Saturday night.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Are you day-drunk? :laugh:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Wow, you must have been on line for hours.

I was on the Strome line (we guessed wrong) for Ho Sang and decided to bail after getting Stromie's autograph. I had to be up too early to wait around for the other lines.

I wish they did this like a few years ago - on a Saturday night.

Stromes line wasn't bad becuase a lot if people didn't kno he was there.
It really was not that long. I guessed wrong too lol I left the first line and went right to Reinhart who was last and Pulock was right next to him so I had my brother wait on pulocks line so it worked out well. I want to somehow get Tavares Nelson and de Hann so I can have all our first rounders on that hat. Would be cool.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland

Add MDC to the list of big time CHLers Griff has shut down in the last few months:

Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Fabbri, Rychel, Domi, Horvat, Mantha.

Guy is a beast. Can't wait until he establishes himself as a top-4 next year. I'm guessing it takes less than one game for that to happen.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Add MDC to the list of big time CHLers Griff has shut down in the last few months:

Dal Colle, Draisaitl, Fabbri, Rychel, Domi, Horvat, Mantha.

Guy is a beast. Can't wait until he establishes himself as a top-4 next year. I'm guessing it takes less than one game for that to happen.

lol

I told him that...I said "Congrats on the memorial cup, you did a great job leading those guys all year and had a great year, especially shutting down Mantha twice"

he said thanks and laughed..

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
lol

I told him that...I said "Congrats on the memorial cup, you did a great job leading those guys all year and had a great year, especially shutting down Mantha twice"

he said thanks and laughed..

You had a good time, nothing to be ashamed of buddy. The Isles draft super high character kids, glad to hear that they're legit good kids. Must have been a thrill to talk to their parents too, the Dal Colle family must be so excited.

I felt for Dal Colle last night, he reminded me of JT. Blue team was stacked and he had no one to play with. Sicking Reinhart and Pulock on him was unfair considering who his linemates were... the Shrimp was invisible and I can't even remember who was their center right now. Dal Colle just looks like an NHLer, he moves with a purpose. On the PP, he was looking for open ice and put himself into position to shoot right away - he does have a very good release and he doesn't seem shy about pulling the trigger either. Ho-Sang is getting all of the attention, but let's not forget that Dal Colle is the true gem of the organization. He's in the mold of Tavares in a lot of ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad