Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
I think he can, but a year to adjust to the NA ice will probably go a long way. I wouldn't be sugrprised to see him end up in the NHL at some point this year though, especially if Visnovsky goes down. He'll have to be playing pretty well in Bridgeport though, obviously.

I want to see pokka in bridgeport as well but I just don't think it's going to happen. he would be making quite a bit less money to come overseas to play In the ahl. I see him staying home, trying to repeat as champs and maybe even win the finnish norris trophy.

it sucks, because a) I want to see him play more b) his strength lies in his positioning and his reads which will both need adjusting with north American rinks given the different angles. c) would like him to get acclimated to the American culture and language and chemistry with teammates and learn the Isles system.

despite all that I still think he stays in Europe next year. hope im wrong

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I have a weird feeling they expect Pokka to make the team out of camp.

De Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Pokka

Strait

It would be ballsy, and I don't agree with it totally... but if he's as good as advertised it could end up being a huge boon to the Isles defense if he and Reinhart don't struggle.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I wish the isles site would just be honest about the prospects measurements. Some of them you just know are exaggerated.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Kabanov has been to 4 prospect camps already. A prospect can only attend a maximum of 4 camps so Kabby couldn't be invited.

For guys like Mayfield and Czuczman this will be their final prospect camp because it's their 4th.

I know, I was teasing him. I never expected him to be there. I was only disappointed that Persson, and Sundstrom weren't going to show for the fourth camp (i understand Strome)

Czuczman was just signed last year so he has not attended 4 camps by the way.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
I have a weird feeling they expect Pokka to make the team out of camp.

De Haan - Hamonic
Reinhart - Visnovsky
Hickey - Pokka

Strait

It would be ballsy, and I don't agree with it totally... but if he's as good as advertised it could end up being a huge boon to the Isles defense if he and Reinhart don't struggle.

It will be interesting to see how they handle Pokka. They could:
A) Play him on the Islanders, who need a right defenseman. But that mean they'd be playing TWO rookies, assuming Reinhart makes the team.
B) Send him to Bridgeport, which would give him the chance to adjust to North American ice in a lower-pressure environment. But Bridgeport is already stacked with defenseman and maybe they even have a handshake deal that he either plays for the Islanders or for Karpat so he doesn't have to spend time with the Sound Tigers and make an AHL salary.
C) Return him to Karpat, where he can play big minutes for a good time while continuing to develop physically. But that would mean another year would pass without getting him on North American ice.

One option, in theory, would be to start one of Reinhart and Pokka with the Islanders and the other with the Sound Tigers before eventually calling up the other player at some point in the season. That way they wouldn't be trying to acclimate two rookie defenseman at the NHL level at the same time.

Unlike others here, I haven't seen any footage of Pokka apart from a few brief clips on YouTube, so my bullish opinion of him is solely based on others' accounts. That said, for whatever reason, I'm really pulling for Pokka to be a big success with the Islanders.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I know, I was teasing him. I never expected him to be there. I was only disappointed that Persson, and Sundstrom weren't going to show for the fourth camp (i understand Strome)

Czuczman was just signed last year so he has not attended 4 camps by the way.

From http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=725738&navid=DL|NYI|home

Kevin Czuczman: "A couple of guys asked me what it was like to play out there. You can’t look too far ahead, you have to take the little steps. This is my fourth development camp. Every year I try to take a little thing from it. There are so many resources here and so many little things you can take away from it."

He attended camps with different NHL teams prior to signing with the Islanders.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
Expect Pokka to be back in Finland.

I'm 85% sure he'll be in Finland next season but the other 15% is if Pokka blows them away in training camp and really looks good. We have a huge lack of right sided defenders and if Pokka performs really well he might get a shout but I very much doubt it. Even then he would likely be sent off back to Finland for another season to give more game time to other prospects in the AHL while allowing Pokka to get max game time with Karpat and earn a good wage.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Don't forget that Pulock was apparently closer than we thought last season.

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 1m
Pokka shed some baby fat, looked like. Pulock simply looked jacked. Seems quite ready for what's ahead. #Isles

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 4m
Ville Pokka now 6-0/194 (was 5-11/200), A. Pelech 6-3/220 (was 6-2/215), R. Pulock now 6-2/212 (was 6-1/218), G. Reinhart up to 217 from 202

Looks like his body is NHL ready. Not saying we'd rush him, but he's exactly the type of defenseman we've been looking for.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
My bad... misread it

Our defensive prospects are all a very good size, some absolute beasts in amongst them.

Reinhart up to 217lbs, animal. Pelech is 6'3 220, beast and someone who is really flying under the radar, he's a great prospect. Pulock getting ripped at 212lbs and he's 6'2. Mayfield is now 6'5 and 218lbs.

Those are big bodied defensemen right there. Love the size we have coming through on our back end.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Our defensive prospects are all a very good size, some absolute beasts in amongst them.

Reinhart up to 217lbs, animal. Pelech is 6'3 220, beast and someone who is really flying under the radar, he's a great prospect. Pulock getting ripped at 212lbs and he's 6'2. Mayfield is now 6'5 and 218lbs.

Those are big bodied defensemen right there. Love the size we have coming through on our back end.

It's exciting for sure, what's pedan weighing in at these days?

As for pelech flying under the radar? He won't be after people see him in Bridgeport. He has been one of my favorite islanders prospects to watch. Kid has an edge to his game. Love his attitude. More skills with the pick than given credit for.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
And as most of you figured out…

Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Also on Pokka: My understanding is if he doesn't make #Isles out of camp (unlikely), he'll return to Karpat in Finland for next season.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

As for pelech flying under the radar? He won't be after people see him in Bridgeport. He has been one of my favorite islanders prospects to watch. Kid has an edge to his game. Love his attitude. More skills with the pick than given credit for.

For what it's worth, Brian Compton singled him out from the first group..

Brian Compton @BComptonNHL ·
In between sessions here at Coliseum. Adam Pelech stood out to me ... big, mobile defenseman. #Isles

We could have a steal. He was a 2nd round talent we were able to scoop up in the 3rd round.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York

I mean in terms of the general fan base he flies under the radar somewhat.

To me it feels like Reinhart & Pulock talked about most, then Pokka and then the rest. But I'd have all 3 of those guys along with Pelech on the same tier because they are all top defensive prospects. It's just a question of who will flourish in the pro game now but I'd like to think out of those 4 we hopefully can find a true #1 guy because it would be fantastic for the Isles long term.

Pelech had a great year for Erie and I can't wait to see how he does in Bridgeport.

scott99

May 13, 2005
For what it's worth, Brian Compton singled him out from the first group..

We could have a steal. He was a 2nd round talent we were able to scoop up in the 3rd round.

LOVED the Pelech pick when we made it, the Pokka pick, not so much. Wanted Matt Finn (Pedan's Jr teammate) or Dalton Thrower. Pokka sure showed me I was wrong. Not to say Finn and Thrower aren't good players, but I've drunk the Koolaid, I like Pokka better than those 2.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island

Size is coming!!!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday 4m
Ville Pokka now 6-0/194 (was 5-11/200), A. Pelech 6-3/220 (was 6-2/215), R. Pulock now 6-2/212 (was 6-1/218), G. Reinhart up to 217 from 202

attachment.php

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida

Pulock, Ryan D 6'2 212
Reinhart, Griffin D 6'4 217
Leduc, Loic D 6'6 213
Pelech, Adam D 6'3 220
Somerby, Doyle D 6'6 187
Pokka, Ville D 6'0 206
Russo, Robbie D 6'0 189
Bischoff, Jake D 6'0 185
Graham, Jesse D 5'11 170
Burroughs, Kyle D 5'11 184

Smallest guy in our farm is one - Cammarata, Taylor F 5'7 156.

NHL:

Hickey, Thomas D 6'0 184
Hamonic, Travis D 6'2 209
Donovan, Matt D 6'0 195
deHaan, Calvin D 6'1 187
Visnovsky, Lubomir D 5'10 192
Strait, Brian D 6'1 205
Carkner, Matt D 6'5 234
Czuczman, Kevin D 6'3 204
Mayfield, Scott D 6'5 218

:yo:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

Love this kid.... it's a damn shame he was hurt last year in camp and couldn't play. Most Islander fans didn't get to see him. They're in for a treat.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Don't like Pulock wearing #6, just doesn't look right. Give him #2 like in juniors, it just looks right. Give Reinhart #4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad