Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion 20/21 "It Could Have Been Lundell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
He is very good on defense. He was on Canada’s top penalty kill unit last year at the world juniors

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If Tyutyayev staying one more year with that team, just forget about him, just waste of talent.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Nice proof how it's always worth to forecheck. It could lead to lucky plays, when opposite defenceman will panic. :D

Love those fake crowd sounds, btw.

Christien

May 1, 2010
Stange looks good for Wisconsin. Winning board battles, good vision, and a really deadly wrist shot. He's also showing some nice chemistry with Cole Caufield.

O'Reilly just had a nice rush as well showing some nice speed and hands. He's already 6'3 205 lbs. at 20 years old and certainly looks like it on the ice. He's got 3 points in 5 games, so not a bad start for him.

Last edited:

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
evidently he is not very good at defense
From the games I have watched, he gets a lot of quality minutes and he looks very solid defensively. Wouldn’t surprise me if he is getting tougher matchups (I don’t know SHL personel well enough to verify this)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
And Veleno has the worst +/- on the team with fewer games than most.
Any GR watchers have any ideas about why his +/- was so awful last year.

Grand Rapids was very bad. Goaltending was a major problem in GR the first 40 or so games.
Malmo's goaltender makes Grand Rapids' starting tandem last year look like Vezina contenders.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
But in both cases, Veleno is worst on the team.
Goalies are worst, it appears, when he's on the ice.

Objectively you're correct. However, this isn't the AA effect here. Veleno isn't the reason that his goalies have been bad. He's not the one coughing up the puck for an odd man rush or casually floating back into his zone. (That was usually Chris Terry or Matt Ford)

I really do think a good chunk of Veleno's poor +/- is a mix of bad luck and bad deployment. The goals he's been on the ice for that I've seen I can't imagine anyone else save for some of the best defensive centers in the NHL being in that same position and preventing a goal. They're not usually being scored by Veleno's man.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Objectively you're correct. However, this isn't the AA effect here. Veleno isn't the reason that his goalies have been bad. He's not the one coughing up the puck for an odd man rush or casually floating back into his zone. (That was usually Chris Terry or Matt Ford)

I really do think a good chunk of Veleno's poor +/- is a mix of bad luck and bad deployment. The goals he's been on the ice for that I've seen I can't imagine anyone else save for some of the best defensive centers in the NHL being in that same position and preventing a goal. They're not usually being scored by Veleno's man.

The AA effect, at least last year, was flukey. Right winger late on the chance, AA steps on the ice - boom. There's a minus. It was crazy how much that happened.
Check out the PDO.
That's why I am asking.
Outside of the WJC, I haven't watched Veleno since the prospect tournament and pre-season.
It was the prospect tournament where I noticed how poorly he was playing in his own zone. He was out there so much. He scored a tone (7-1-8 to lead the tournament) but was even for the tournament.
But the Wings team had to win by crazy scores because they just sucked, defensively (goaltending was brutal.)
But in particular, the Veleno-Zadina line just didn't play well defensively.

My expectations have dimmed since about round 2 of the Quebec playoffs of his junior year.
But they were probably unreasonably high. I'd hoped he had a shot at being a #1C.
Now my ceiling is 2C - but with the realization that he's still going to really work at both ends of the ice to be a solid 3C.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
The AA effect, at least last year, was flukey. Right winger late on the chance, AA steps on the ice - boom. There's a minus. It was crazy how much that happened.
Check out the PDO.
That's why I am asking.
Outside of the WJC, I haven't watched Veleno since the prospect tournament and pre-season.
It was the prospect tournament where I noticed how poorly he was playing in his own zone. He was out there so much. He scored a tone (7-1-8 to lead the tournament) but was even for the tournament.
But the Wings team had to win by crazy scores because they just sucked, defensively (goaltending was brutal.)
But in particular, the Veleno-Zadina line just didn't play well defensively.

My expectations have dimmed since about round 2 of the Quebec playoffs of his junior year.
But they were probably unreasonably high. I'd hoped he had a shot at being a #1C.
Now my ceiling is 2C - but with the realization that he's still going to really work at both ends of the ice to be a solid 3C.

Part of the AA effect was that he often lost his man on the way back to his zone and wouldn't help out below the circles often enough. The other part of it was Jim Howard was letting in shots from anywhere that would have been routine saves by literally any other goalie in the league. Veleno's problem hasn't been losing his man, a lot of it has been goaltending letting in shots that should be routine saves. Larsson is GR last year made me cringe and groan whenever he was out there. Pickard wasn't much better, either.

Though I do worry that Veleno is playing too passive. He's shown the ability to skate the puck up ice and he's at his best when playing aggressively (not necessarily physical aggression, but pushing the play.) When he's passive he ends up chasing the play.

Reactions: MBH

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
I haven’t watched any of his games this year (he looks great in all of the highlight clips provided here though) but I watched more than a dozen Griff games last year.
Even at the start of the season, he was great at lugging the puck and was tenacious but had difficulties with passing lanes disappearing so quickly and positioning and as the season progressed he became much better in those regards. I went through his game logs before and he was only a -2 or -3 after the WJC and was deployed on the top PK unit with Ras and facing top lines out defending a lead when the opposition pulled their goalie. He looked dynamic offensively and as I said was always great at lugging the puck but the production just wasn’t there for some reason.
It seems that despite the numbers this year, he is getting lots of ice-time so he must be doing something right.

Reactions: lilidk and MBH

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Pronman just posted his team Canada roster projection on the Athletic and he actually had Sebrango making it as one of the two extras. He said "O’Rourke and Sebrango don’t have Guhle’s toolkit, but they both had strong camp performances, particularly Sebrango who showed the skating and brain to play at the U20 pace."

Ive been meaning to go back and watch those 2 camp scrimmages but Sebrango making it in a no NHL year would be pretty awesome to watch. A Red Wing on Canada always makes the tournament more enjoyable for me

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Man what a bounce back for Bednar today... Got pulled in his last start after giving up 5 Goals on 21 shots in the 1st period (at least a few of them weren't his fault, but still).

Today... Made 26 Saves in a 3-1 Win... Awesome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad