Prospect Info: Prospect Discussion 20/21 "It Could Have Been Lundell"

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Sam Stange man, I know he has only played 3+ games and has no points... I like what I see

Kid could be a player
Based on the few clips out there he looked like a guy who could potentially contribute in various roles down the lineup, especially with his skating but skill too.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Unreal feed! With the time and space he had, realizing the goalies positioning, seeing he had a man open on the other side, and actually making that pass off the boards is an elite play.
You are overblowing what happened, it's hockey , not pool

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Was looking at best plusminus at Liiga stats today... my god...

Kivenmäki really doing well, Ässät has been horrible defensively, but Kivemäki is +16 -5 = +11.

Plus-minus leader and 2nd in points 16 games, 5+8=13 points.

What I've seen on eye-test, kid is just good consistent contributor every night. Natural playmaker, always. Like, very good hockey pro. Don't know of his ceiling in NHL, but he he just seems to be good, gentle guy, who does not take any nights off.

Hard to see where this team finds room for Kivenmakki given the number of wingers still out there.
Even if Smith/Svechnikov fall flat, right now you've already got:
Mantha
Zadina
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Still to come
Raymond, Berggren.
Not to mention, Smith, Svechnikov and Rasmussen (if Winger turns out to be his spot) or Soderblom/Tyutyaev/Mastrosimone/Grewe

There's no reason to think he's not as worthy or more worthy than some of those secondary guys - but quite simply, there's a gut of wingers in the organization.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Hard to see where this team finds room for Kivenmakki given the number of wingers still out there.
Even if Smith/Svechnikov fall flat, right now you've already got:
Mantha
Zadina
Bertuzzi
Fabbri
Still to come
Raymond, Berggren.
Not to mention, Smith, Svechnikov and Rasmussen (if Winger turns out to be his spot) or Soderblom/Tyutyaev/Mastrosimone/Grewe

There's no reason to think he's not as worthy or more worthy than some of those secondary guys - but quite simply, there's a gut of wingers in the organization.

And by the time he's ready, it could all be different.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Regarding level of competiti0n, I think it goes something like this
AHL
KHL
SHL

Swiss-A
SM-liiga
Czech
ECHL
And the rest somewhere below.

Igor Grigorenko excelled in the KHL but couldn't do shit with the Griffs.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
AHL
KHL
SHL

Swiss-A
SM-liiga
Czech
ECHL

I don't think he was physically ready when he was with the Griffs. He never fully recovered from that auto-accident and what it did to his pace was always going to be an issue in NA. Man was he good before that though, it was absolutely a big three and I remember a time where Grigorenko was believed the best in the Grigorenko, Zetterberg and Datsyuk prospect days.

I think the SM-Liiga is in front of the Swiss league, I would put the German league DEL at this point probably a slot above the ECHL. But I agree with this for the most part. I would flip the KHL and AHL, but I do have the AHL as the third best league in the world in front of the SHL.

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
AHL
KHL
SHL

Swiss-A
SM-liiga
Czech
ECHL

Given that many thought he'd never play again after his accident (he was 10% to live according to his agent), and his best seasons in the KHL were after he was at the griffs, its safe to assume that he was still recovering when in NA (and apparently turned up less in game shape than he had been in Russia). Russia's top line was projected as him, Dats and Kovalchuck. Before his accident he was noted for being a really great skater, but after his accident that was one of the biggest weaknesses of his game.

His best seasons in Russia were 4, 7 and 8 years after he left the Griffs, by which time he had largely remodeled his game.

For me a simple ranking isn;t helpful. They are different leagues, and different skillsets flourish. I'd put the KHL slightly higher in terms of standard, but not as useful to NHL readiness.

Reactions: Henkka

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Our front office watching the youngin's: "Soon, very soon"

upload_2020-11-22_21-54-13.png

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
AHL
KHL
SHL

Swiss-A
SM-liiga
Czech
ECHL

Which League is Best?

7fPbLLcrRbLVX3G0WliIelci0yN2RW63MJQotHJd7mgLnBppUq-1VNYILiBtnyz1MC1rhxI7f0i6o2Y9eJE19BX9wZCwjoZ3vIXE4pm0rLxHR_UHxLDTC3gLxQCQDrD0Pf6jE-nzjjQ

1. NHL
2. KHL (Russia)
3. SHL (Sweden)
4. AHL
5. DEL (Germany)
6. NLA (Switzerland)
7. FEL (Finland)
8. Czech
9. Allsvenskan (Sweden 2.)
10. EIHL (Austrian multi-national)
11. NLB (Switzerland 2.)
12. VHL (Russian 2.)
13. OHL (Ontario Hockey League)
14. ECHL
15. Mestis (Finnish 2.)
16. Denmark
17. USHL
18. NCAA
19. SuperElite (Sweden U20)
20. WHL (Western Hockey League)
21. Czech 2nd level
22. MHL (Russia U20)

That's some latest multi-year average. Changes by time. Nothing is set on stone in the order.

NCAA was surprisingly low. I think that's some statistical fluke. On other analysis it has been better. If they have merged all Division levels together, then I understand it being so low. But that Division I level could anywhere between Allsvenskan and ECHL. For sure better than Denmark or Mestis.

Last edited:
Reactions: lomekian

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Which League is Best?

7fPbLLcrRbLVX3G0WliIelci0yN2RW63MJQotHJd7mgLnBppUq-1VNYILiBtnyz1MC1rhxI7f0i6o2Y9eJE19BX9wZCwjoZ3vIXE4pm0rLxHR_UHxLDTC3gLxQCQDrD0Pf6jE-nzjjQ

1. NHL
2. KHL (Russia)
3. SHL (Sweden)
4. AHL
5. DEL (Germany)
6. NLA (Switzerland)
7. FEL (Finland)
8. Czech
9. Allsvenskan (Sweden 2.)
10. EIHL (Austrian multi-national)
11. NLB (Switzerland 2.)
12. VHL (Russian 2.)
13. OHL (Ontario Hockey League)
14. ECHL
15. Mestis (Finnish 2.)
16. Denmark
17. USHL
18. NCAA
19. SuperElite (Sweden U20)
20. WHL (Western Hockey League)
21. Czech 2nd level
22. MHL (Russia U20)

That's some latest multi-year average. Changes by time. Nothing is set on stone in the order.

NCAA was surprisingly low. I think that's some statistical fluke. On other analysis it has been better. If they have merged all Division levels together, then I understand it being so low. But that Division I level could anywhere between Allsvenskan and ECHL. For sure better than Denmark or Mestis.
DEL to high, Czech should be better than DEL

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Interestingly (or not), Horcoff said in a recent Athletic article that he thinks SHL is the 3rd best league.

Link for subscribers: Q&A: The Red Wings' top prospects, Swedish pipeline, Nik Kronwall's impact

What have your thoughts been of Lucas’ start to the season so far in the SHL?
I think it’s been good. The SHL, in my opinion, is probably the third-best league in the world. It’s a high-skilled league, it’s a very good league. And it’s difficult to produce offense in that league.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
SHL is almost certainly better than AHL. The thing is though, some players might struggle in AHL but shine in SHL. Different types of hockey, different size ice. But generally I see SHL as stronger.

Reactions: Realgud and ChadS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad