GDT: Prospect Development Camp 8-10 July 2014

KG

Sep 23, 2010
lolol Domi almost bheaded that goalie, at least he went over to apologize after

KG

Sep 23, 2010
also picked up a lot of kevtaching about riberio,"we're financially challenged", and "Ganger, Ganger, Ganger"

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I like how the Zamboni are included. * nod*

I miss the developmental tournaments they used to participate in. I don't get why those were cancelled. Don even said he wasn't putting any stock in this camp because everyone has wobbly legs, new equipment, and it's the first time on the ice in months for most.

Is there any sort of limitation on the length of time these camps can be? I know NCAA players have to pay their own way and there's really only so much you can teach. But I'd like to see more work and a gradual buildup to a fully simulated game.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
NCAA players have to pay their own way? That's crap. Oh, I guess it's because of the NCAA's amateur rules?

Anyway, GMDM made it sound like they take training camp a lot more serious than this. And that they focus more on the their high-end prospects.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
All of the defenseman prospects underwhelmed me. Nothing they did really stood out offensively, and they didn't really impress me defensively either. KEL can skate like his brother, but he's very small. I have a tough time imagining he'll ever crack the NHL.

I have not seen KEL play, but if his only short coming (pun intended) is his height there could be hope for him. I mean, if OEL woke up one day 4 inches shorter would you still want him on the team?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I have not seen KEL play, but if his only short coming (pun intended) is his height there could be hope for him. I mean, if OEL woke up one day 4 inches shorter would you still want him on the team?

I wish it was that simple. A big part of Oliver's game is his reach because he's not overly physical. When you combine that with elite mobility, you get a chance at a D as good as OEL. A 6ft tall version of Chara might be good but there's no real way of knowing. Survey says Kevin would be getting more NHL attention if he had any sort of upside.

Maybe he has a future in the competitive Counter-Strike scene? http://www.sk-gaming.com/member/stekman1

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Hey Rabbit, what did you think of Dvorak and Karlsson?

I think both looked excellent. Dvorak was intriguing. I can't tell if he has awesome chemistry with Domi from London, or if he really was worth the pick where we got him. He's got good speed, awesome passer, and good finisher. All around hard working player. Too early to tell for me though, really hard player to read. I'll have to keep a close eye on him.

Karlsson....Karlsson is just a ****ing steal. It's hard to find an NHL comparison for me because of his unique playing style, he's got Datsyuk style forechecking and backchecking. He is an absolute battler along the boards and can strip the puck like nobodies business. If I had a gun to my head, I'd say he's a RICH man's Peverley. He's going to be really annoying to play against, and i love that. I'd venture to say that apart from Domi and Gormley, Karlsson is the next most NHL ready. Even over Gaudet, who also looked tenacious as hell.

I think in 2016, our 3rd/4th line(s) are going to look awesome.

Bottom six:
Dauphin - Samuelsson - Karlsson
Gaudet - Vitale - LaPlante/Kulda.

All starting out on the lower lines early in their careers, all with the potential to be legit 2nd line players for years to come, maybe even 1st. I've never been so sure of/so excited about our group of prospects. Maloney and staff KILLED IT with these last 2 drafts.

Laurent Dauphin- I think Dauphin has the potential to be a future 30 goal scorer. He may be small now, but his offensive potential is really there. He and Domi will look really good together on the powerplay unit in the future, if both pan out as we all hope....which I don't think is far fetched.

My NHL comparison: Corey Perry

Henrik Samuelsson- I think Samuelsson has the potential to be a slightly lesser version of Lucic. Lesser version, though who will still be good for 20 goals and 30 assists a season, and a nasty mean streak. This is a player who could honestly make Hanzal expendable in the future, but why do that when you an have them both? Especially if you an move Henrik to the wing, you create a lot of flexibility by doing so.

My NHL comparison: Milan Lucic

Max Domi- What else can you say about Domi? This dude has the potential to be he most electrifying player the Coyotes have had in years. His speed is unreal, his passing and playmaking is top notch, and was even voted 2nd best to Connor freaking McDavid, who is said to be the NHL's next big star. I can't believe he fell to 12th last year, honestly I think he could've been considered a top 5 pick in this year's draft. I think his maturity will definitely improve once he cracks the big lineup. I mean...look, his dad was a notorious badass in the league with tremendous popularity, he has amazing talent with the puck, he's a superstar with his London Knights squad, he's playing along side one of his best friends in Horvat, he's a young kid who has the ladies drooling over him, and he's about to be a millionaire in a couple of years. He's going to have an ego, and I'm more than okay with that. He's still young, we were all like that. We were all testosterone driven at 16, 17, 18 and did some things we're not exactly proud of, but we all grew out of it. Max is well liked among his teammates, and most importantly, out of EVERY team in the NHL, he wanted to be with the Coyotes. I'll never forget those behind the scenes draft videos of Max's parents sitting with him in the stands saying "Phoenix is up, that's the team he wanted, they're going to pick him" and once we did, he couldn't wipe the smile off his face, going up to everyone and saying "Phoenix eh? Sick huh?!" You never saw that with Turris, Wheeler, or Mueller. Domi and his family couldn't have been happier to end up with the Coyotes. That's awesome. I love this prospect. His size shouldn't be doubted, as he's built like a brick ****house. I think he will be a "poor" mans Patrick Kane (for lack of a better term, nothing really seems poor about him.) Out of all of our current prospects, I think Max has the most potential to be a first line player for years to come.

My NHL comparison: Patrick Kane

Brendan Perlini- I think I've already said my piece on him. :laugh: Simply put, i think this guy is going to be a star. I was worried about the pick at first, as he was a reallly late riser, but given the circumstances (and the fact that OEL was a really late riser in his draft class) I'm thrilled with the pick now. He didn't have a chance to shine and show what he could do until he was traded to a team where he could get the minutes to actually show what he could do. I can't really think of ANY player of his size in the NHL right now that can skate as fast and as beautifully as he can. Some people look down on him because he doesn't seem to dangle through players like Ho Sang or Bennett, but he makes up for all of that with his shooting ability. Think Marian Gaborik, do you see Marian dangling and deking through his opponents? Hardly ever. He just ****ing skates and shoots. That's awesome. Another thing I LOVE, he plants his ass RIGHT in front of the goalie. Very, very excited for Perlini. My NHL comparisons for him may look unrealistic, and I'm not saying he will turn out to be as good or better than the players that i mention, I just see a little bit of each of these players in Perlini. He's got Malkin's size, shot, and hockey IQ. Marian Gaboriks speed and skating ability, and Hossa's no ********, shoot first ask questions later mentality.

My NHL comparison(s): Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik, Marian Hossa

Brandon Gormley- Perfectly executed development by our staff. Hats off, seriously. No use really getting into what he offers, because we've all seen it for the last 4 years. This dude is ready, and will be a top 4 (maybe top 2) defenseman for us in the future. His offensive numbers won't blow us away, but this dude will be one of the hardest players to skate the puck past, and he will beat you up with his brain. He's going to be an amazing shutdown guy/penalty killer, and a possible offensive surprise.

My NHL comparison(s): Niklas Hjalmarsson, Niklas Kronwall, Kimmo Timonen, Dan Girardi, Zbynek Michalek, Ryan Suter

Anton Karlsson- See above.

My NHL comparison(s): Rich Peverley, Wayne Simmonds

Yan Pavel LaPlante- This dude is going to be hell to play against. I can't wait to see how Y.P. and Karlsson (if both pan out) annoy the living **** out the competition. He and Karlsson are neck and neck when It comes to best forechecker in the organization. A possible future Karlsson - Gaudet- LaPlante line would be a seemingly impossible energy line to play against.

My NHL comparison(s): Lee Stempniak, Rich Peverley, Mike Ricci, Joe Vitale, Daniel Winnik

Tyler Gaudet- I've probably said enough about him in my descriptions of both Karlsson and LaPlante, these guys are just so damn hard working. 100% effort all the time, and they're going to be a nightmare to play against. My NHL comparisons may be low scoring guys, but don't let that fool you, I think all 3 have the potential to be top PK players in the bottom 6, completely capable of 15 goal, 35-40 point seasons. Gaudet is a Tippett type player. Responsible, hard working, smart, and tenacious.

My NHL comparison(s): Boyd Gordon, Vernon Fiddler, Daniel Winnik, Joe Vitale, Fredrick Sjostrom (prime years)

That's all my poor hands can type right now, and who knows if any of you will read this :laugh: but we should consider ourselves lucky. We have arguably the best group of prospects right now than we have ever had as an organization. Now, we need to focus on our goaltending. Maybe in 2016/2017, we can start looking for stronger goalie prospects than Visentin. Don't ask me why, I'm just not 100% sold on him yet. Hope he proves me wrong, but that's a whole other topic of conversation. Great to be talking hockey again boys!

Last edited:

RABBIT

Thanks Rabbit

1qfxhu.gif

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
Thank for the video upload! Can someone please post some of the sweater numbers of the top prospects?

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
1 more coming. Give it a little bit and the 720p option should show up. Youtube is being slow.

Wow.. when you said video I thought you meant clips of a few seconds here and there..not 50 minutes of great viewing! Very impressed and thanks to you.

Not able to watch it properly at work but I noticed #88 and looked him up to find out he's KEL. I'd say he looks like he belongs there.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
NHL comparison: Datsyuk
NHL comparison: Corey Perry
NHL comparison: Milan Lucic
NHL comparison: Patrick Kane
NHL comparison(s): Evgeni Malkin, Marian Gaborik, Marian Hossa
NHL comparison(s): Niklas Kronwall, Kimmo Timonen, Ryan Suter
NHL comparison(s): Rich Peverley, Wayne Simmonds
NHL comparison(s): Rich Peverley, Mike Ricci
NHL comparison(s): Boyd Gordon, Vernon Fiddler
Just as long as we're keeping expectations realistic ... :laugh:

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Hahaha before this camp I was crying over our prospect pool.

Reading Rabbits post it seems likes we have the best in the league. :p

RABBIT

Just as long as we're keeping expectations realistic ... :laugh:

If you read my explanations, you would know I'm keeping it realistic haha. When I say "NHL comparison" I don't mean by the numbers, I mean playing style. I obviously don't believe Dauphin is going to win a Hart trophy, or that Perlini is walking in Malkin's shadow.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Rabbit - had a quick question on the Gormley analysis. Thought he was praised as being a very good puck mover when he was drafted. Seems like you have more as a defensive stalwart than an offensive-minded guy.

Did anything change for him, or is it that we really haven't seen his puck-moving skills during these practice sessions and/or the handful of NHL games he has seen?

Great stuff to follow.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Rabbit - had a quick question on the Gormley analysis. Thought he was praised as being a very good puck mover when he was drafted. Seems like you have more as a defensive stalwart than an offensive-minded guy.

Did anything change for him, or is it that we really haven't seen his puck-moving skills during these practice sessions and/or the handful of NHL games he has seen?

Great stuff to follow.

The great thing about Gormley is that even though he's a rock in the D-zone, he still can move the puck pretty well. He was an awesome PP quarterback in Juniors and Portland, and in one or two of NHL games this year, Tippett threw him out on the point for a couple PP shifts, and he didn't look out of place.

He's got an excellent 2-way game, and is an all around, well balanced player. He's good at everything, but there's not really a certain area of his game that stands out like Yandle and his offensive ability, or Michalek and his D-zone play.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The great thing about Gormley is that even though he's a rock in the D-zone, he still can move the puck pretty well. He was an awesome PP quarterback in Juniors and Portland, and in one or two of NHL games this year, Tippett threw him out on the point for a couple PP shifts, and he didn't look out of place.

He's got an excellent 2-way game, and is an all around, well balanced player. He's good at everything, but there's not really a certain area of his game that stands out like Yandle and his offensive ability, or Michalek and his D-zone play.

Cool - I remembered that he was praised for puck-moving and some of his offensive capabilities. Just was flummoxed when Rabbit mentioned surprise offensive upside, as I thought his offensive skill was at least above average, while maybe not quite to elite level.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
also picked up a lot of kevtaching about riberio,"we're financially challenged", and "Ganger, Ganger, Ganger"

There were 2 guys behind me who talked the whole time. One was an Oilers fan the other Coyotes. Could probably hear most of it with the volume up :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad