GDT: Prospect Development Camp 8-10 July 2014

Desert Ice 11

Yoooooo
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Damnit..I can not wait for this thread to go to page 7. Every time I go to read an update I have to stop 4 videos that auto play as soon as I click this link.

Oh and look at that page 7 :)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Damnit..I can not wait for this thread to go to page 7. Every time I go to read an update I have to stop 4 videos that auto play as soon as I click this link.

Oh and look at that page 7 :)

[NHL]628428[/NHL]

Moral of the story: get Chrome.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Btw, is Dave Vest one of the worst interviewers you've ever seen? I don't know who is worse, Vest or Walshy

I think he did a fine job, really. It's hard. Really, if you think about it, that's not an easy thing to do. You are interviewing a teenage jock, more or less. So you have to ask pointed questions that beg specific answers, otherwise who the hell knows what you'll end up with. Plus, what are you really going to ask Henrik Samuelsson about. Other than his marathon season, the success he's enjoyed, being in camp in his hometown with him Oil King teammates, and his experience with Ulf as dad. That pretty much covers it.

I mean, he could go the comedic route, but that's probably not his directive. Sure you could ask funny questions or try to liven things up. But what if Samuelsson falls flat? Then it's awkward and you both look bad. Especially the kid. I mean, I might have tried to coax funny stories about the Kulda Approved thing (etc.) out of him, but then it's an interview with Henrik Samuelsson about Edgars Kulda, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, to be honest.

This is one of those "easier said than done" kind of criticisms. I think it'd be really tough to deliver an exceptionally poignant, comedic, or memorable interview with a hockey prospect.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I know, most of these interviews are boring, they really don't provide any information because the questions they do ask are the ones the kids answer with the standard cliches.

Mike92

May 8, 2004
Pretty late, but I thought I'd give a quick rundown of a few key guys from thursdays prospect scrimmages.

They had them broken into 2 groups, the first was mostly recent draftees and tryouts, the second was the more experienced group.

Dauphin- Invisible. Because he wasn't there. Apparently wasn't there tuesday either. Not sure what the deal was.

Perlini- Stuck out the most to me out of everyone, but it's tough to evaluate too much since the group he was in was significantly less competitive than the second group. Seemed solid defensively, lots of effort overall. His speed and size was very evident. Heads always up, smart with the puck. I love his shot, he's able to get wristers off in some awkward spots. He scored a crazy goal from the top of the faceoff circle, skating away from the goal towards the boards and shooting across his body, got it off very quickly with a lot of speed and sniped it high glove.

Gaudet- Looked the most ready out of anyone, he played in the second group. Planted Domi pretty hard on his butt right in front of the net. Very smart and gritty, good skater and setup man. Missed on a few huge opportunities right in front of the net but scored a real nice shootout goal. Looked very big and strong. Seemed legit on faceoffs. Maybe could use a little time in the A to work on his finishing, but otherwise was very impressive against the top guys in the group, playing against Domi and Samuelsson.

Domi- Very disappointing. Didn't look to be trying much at all on D, lots of coasting and long swipes at the puck from out of position. Not much backchecking. Really only looked like he was putting in any effort defensively on a couple of the later shifts. Looked good offensively, but not what I've come to expect from him, especially against that level of competition. It's possible he was hurt, I heard he went off the ice awkwardly at the wednesday scrimmage. A hurt player can look very indifferent at times which would hopefully explain the lackluster effort. If that's the case he did seem to be less hurt with the puck though. Could be it was just easier to move with the puck since he could initiate and not react like on D though. Not sure what to think, hopefully just an anomaly or a minor injury since the size (not height, definitely size though) and skill is very much there.

Samuelsson- Not really as high on him as some people seem to be. He looked good, but I think he still needs time. Skating isn't really bad, but he could use some work on his quickness. Good puckhandler but not outstanding, good shot but again nothing amazing. He's big and solid all around though. I think this kind of thing isn't the best showcase for him.

Larazza- I liked his game. A ton of intensity, he was always in the right place and was great in puck battles. Big guy, not a ton of skill but hopefully he can make it as a 4th liner at some point. Pretty good skater too, good top end speed.

Those were the ones that stuck out the most to me, all the defensemen looked about the same honestly, KEL made a couple nice reads defensively and broke up a few plays but that was about it. No one really jumped out much positively or negatively. Looked like a lot of JAGs but with the 4v4 and 3v3 without much structure, and with so many players it's hard to get too much out of it.

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
Just a curious fan:

Is Gormley gonna make the big club this year? If not isn't it wise to trade him for a C prospect or young forward/center.

Could have probably got the #5 pick this year from the Isles? Whats the plan for him?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just a curious fan:

Is Gormley gonna make the big club this year? If not isn't it wise to trade him for a C prospect or young forward/center.

Could have probably got the #5 pick this year from the Isles? Whats the plan for him?

Buy Low / Sell High is the usual mantra of GM's when dealing with assets. Gormely's value is low until he shows what he can do at the NHL level.

Gormely is anticipated to make the team. He could start on the farm because of roster restrictions; however, he is anticipated to be firmly entrenched in the Coyote Top 4 by season's end. Fantastic prospect. He's been handled exceptionally well by Maloney and co. Truth be told though, our D prospects after the graduation of Gormley, Stone, and Murphy is somewhat weak. Based on our prospect development camp our best D prospect looks to be a guy (Westlund) who wasn't even rated by most scouting services last year.

Going by the buy low/sell high mantra Yandle is an asset that may be moved at the deadline and/or at next years draft if there is a feeling that this franchise doesn't want to entertain extending him at $7 M per (which seems to be around the value he would get as a UFA). Maloney has an important decision here and this is where I think having Regeir as part of the organization will serve the franchise well.

Last edited:

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
Larazza- I liked his game. A ton of intensity, he was always in the right place and was great in puck battles. Big guy, not a ton of skill but hopefully he can make it as a 4th liner at some point. Pretty good skater too, good top end speed.

I've been pretty high on Larazza for quite some time. Glad I'm not the only one.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I know, most of these interviews are boring, they really don't provide any information because the questions they do ask are the ones the kids answer with the standard cliches.

That's because Vest is a team employee. His job isn't to get the interesting story, it's to get the organizationally-approved one.

Speaking as one whose career track is pretty close to Dave's, I can tell you that's a harder job than the one he used to have on the beat.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I like Dave. I've seen worse.

Craig Morgan is really the only one who ever says anything remotely negative.

Sarah sometimes asks semi-hardball questions but then she usually just accepts the organizational line and doesn't pursue the issue further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad