GDT: Prospect Development Camp 8-10 July 2014

indczn

May 28, 2008
The 2nd group of D looked alot better than the first. Harder, more accurate shooting, better passing. Mayo struggled noticably, missed several keep-ins, bobbling the puck alot.
Westlund looked alot better when out for the 2nd group. I'm not sure how much English he speaks. During the 1st group he messed up several of the drills.

Overall not sure anyone stood out enough, but the drills they were doing on D didn't really show too much. Mostly keep-ins, breakout passing and shooting from the point.

The Coyotes braintrust was definitely focused on the forward group.
The very little I saw of Domi and Samuelsson they were the best out there.

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Ok, just got back from the camp.

At least this year they split the guys up into groups, didn't last year all 40 guys were on the ice and it was difficult to follow them.

I spent the first 20 watching the first set of D behind the goal standing up next to the glass...the last 1:20 spent watching all the forwards down at the glass next to where zamboni comes out.

Observations about D:
OEL's brother is small, small, small...none of the D were impressive. Just like someone said above, lots of fumbled pucks, bad passes, etc...just ugh!!!

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Observations of our Forward group: (First, didn't see Dauphin at all today, wasn't there)

Domi: one word - explosive Just a dynamic player, going to help make someone on our roster into a 40goal guy.

Perlini: you can see, he's 'super fast', he glides w/powerful strides like Domi, but at 6'3''...and another thing that is noticeable is that he never watches the puck. The kid has his head up the entire time even when receiving passes...he catches passes while looking at the net, and that is why he hits the corners, very impressive. He protected the puck well during the small area drills and put it in the back of the net with a quick shot (both snap and wrist shot) The kid's got 40 goal potential written all over him...he's going to be very, very good...I'm very excited now!

Samuelsson: the kid can play hockey and is going to be good...oh so soft hands for a big kid. He and Kulda hooked up a couple times, looked good together.

As far as the remaining kids, unlike past years when you'd say that they've got no shot like Ruutu or Martinook, there were several that looked good.

I thought Kulda looked quick, and Karlsson skates better than people give him credit for, Bunting did well, Mads Eller made several nice plays working w/Domi, but Domi was making guys look good. Dvorak and Gaudet also looked good.

The good news is that they're not in the group that have absolutely no shot at ever making the pros:
Soleway - omg, waste of space, everytime he shoots his 'head' moves all over the place, there is no way he can be accurate. It's like a golfer, the more still your head is, the more accurate you are.
Carey - omg, waste of space...not good. Don't look for anything out of him in Portland.
Fejes - another one I'd expect to not be given a contract.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I thought Kulda looked quick, and Karlsson skates better than people give him credit for, Bunting did well, Mads Eller made several nice plays working w/Domi, but Domi was making guys look good. Dvorak and Gaudet also looked good.

Wanted to pick up Mads Eller in the late rounds this draft, but he ended up going undrafted for the 2nd year in a row. Nice to see him get an invite to our development camp at the least - probably doesn't have top 6 upside, but like Kulda, I think he can be a solid bottom 6 energy forward in the NHL.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Of the invitees Andrew Mangiapane was pretty slick with the puck. Think Petan but with no chance to make the pros

Last edited:

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I'm happy to see good things being said about Domi. I can't wait to see him with the big dogs.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Domi looks even stronger. Dude is just built. I don't think his height will hurt him much, if it all, with that kind of strength in the NHL.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
So is there any good video out there or should I put my really bad camera man hat on tomorrow?

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
So is there any good video out there or should I put my really bad camera man hat on tomorrow?

I can't imagine so, so you might want to go ahead and channel your inner Francis Ford Coppola if you want some good video footage, Wesley Snipes.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Keep an eye on Gaudet, all of you who are watching - seems as though Tippett is warming to the idea of using him as our 4th line center.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Keep an eye on Gaudet, all of you who are watching - seems as though Tippett is warming to the idea of using him as our 4th line center.

So where does that leave that one guy we just signed to a 3 year deal with a 60% average in the dot?

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Domi was heads above the pack. But that should be expected since he went all the way to the final cut last year. And we were also comparing him against guys 1-2 years behind him.

Henrik also looked good but as some people suggested he's got some serious skating work to do to get his speed up.

I was impressed with Yan-Pavel LaPlante. In mini-scrimmage drills he was very aggressive on defense and worked the boards probably the hardest. Means to me he gets the system.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Henrik ought to go work with that power skating guy. I forget his name but Crosby, Stamkos and etc. have all worked with him to improve skating during offseason.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
There's a Q&A up with Tippet for those interested.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Reading this thread makes me want to be there even more :rant: Thanks for the scouting reports, look forward to seeing the rest of them.
Actual link to said video: Tippet Q&A
Tipp sounded very measured talking about Domi, Gaudet, Gagner, Crombeen and Dubnyk, but watch his eyebrows and listen to his cadence change when he's asked about Joe Vitale at 4:21. I think he's misusing "mold" and "mode", but good stuff.
Any video of the Perlini first pitch?
The scouting reports on him are accurate -- poor velocity, no movement and a general lack of "mound presence." I'd expect to see him in low-A ball (South Bend) for the rest of this year and at least the first half of next. Really don't know why Kevin Towers spent a 1st round pick on him ...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad