GDT: Prospect Development Camp 8-10 July 2014

KG

Sep 23, 2010
I wonder if they're doing the annual camel back hike?

indczn

May 28, 2008
Just leaving day 2 early. I liked the looks of Westlund. He's big and looked like he read the play pretty well. Someone tried to hit him and pretty much hit a wall and fell. He also moved pretty well with the puck, doing a spin or two. Could be smart/creative, or just wreckless. For a late pick no one had heard of, I liked what I saw from him.

Domi has the talent and great passing but looked to be floating a bit.
Samuelsson is big and physical but probably needs to be quicker.

Perlini always had his head up, especially when he had the puck. Had a long reach and looking to shoot.

#70 made an awful lot of bad plays with the puck.

KEL is too damn small.

Larazza had a nice pass for a tip in goal. I think it was Laplante on the goal.

Nathan Burns scored top corner.

Langhammer looked to be the best of the 3 goalies. Made several nice saves and better rebound control.

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
[NHL]628086[/NHL]

If he busts it won't be for attitude reasons

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just got back from Day 2.

I've got a new favorite from the lower rounds after today...hello Anton Karlsson forechecking machine.

Karlsson, Domi & Dvorak were the best line today. Karlsson is a forechecking machine, Dvorak made some nice plays and Domi had some great passes, very quick to the puck and nearly knocked the helmet off of Langhamer with a quick onetimer.

Second best line was Samuelsson, Gaudet & Bunting. Bunting scored a tip in...Samuelsson is just a freak in board battles, insane that he stripped so many pucks today and then made plays. He's gonna need to work on quickness, but he's going to be very good, a monster on the half wall. Gaudet is a player as well, I see what Tippett sees in him...but he'll need some AHL time. Bunting played well, really like him

Unfortunately for Perlini and Kulda they were centered by MacInnis who did not play well, had a hard time keeping up with the play and was lost defensively...ugh!!!! However, Perlini does everything with his head up, great to see, this dude is fast, wait until he gets invited to pro camp...oooooh he's going to be good, lightening quick shot. Kulda was good as well, but MacInnis kept screwing things up.

Other than those guys, players that had a good scrimmage were LaPlante, omg, hardest working player, Mads Eller was good, Larraza made some nice plays and whoever said above that Westlund made some plays as well was correct. Mayo moved the puck well, but he's gonna have to get stronger, but like watching Murphy the puck was always tape to tape with Mayo...unlike most all the other defenders who kept passing to the body rather than stick.

Here are the guys that didn't have a good scrimmage:
Soleway and Holland (#70) and Melindy didn't play well, Playfair's kid and Fejes.

In goal, Langhamer is awesome...he'll get 1 more year with Medicine Hat and then I'd expect him to be in Portland, the kid's got game...thank goodness we've got him...as Domingue looks to have hit a plateau and Visentin is the only current goalie who looks to be pro material unless Lee gets his game back.

So Summary:
Domi - lightening quick, good vision, should be in NHL
Samuelsson - great on the puck, good possession skills, needs to only work on quickness, will need to be in AHL for at least 1 season
Perlini - powerful stride, very fast, always has his head up (I'm thinking he can play center, not sure if Verhaeghe is coming back, but maybe they can get Niagara to move him) extremely quick shot and on target. The kid's stride is remarkable fluid, think Lisin light but at 6'3''. Needs to work on battle skills, probably needs 2 years, 1 more in Niagara and then 1 year in the AHL to round out his game. But he's the only prospect I see with 40 goal potential.
MacInnis - project, project, project. The bottom of all the new guys, the kid is big, but needs to work on skating, and quickness, until then, he doesn't have particularly good hands and was inefficient in many facets. Hope they give Perlini/Kulda someone else to work w/tomorrow.
Dvorak - looked good, worked extremely well with Domi & Karlsson, I see 3rd line center...with 2nd line center upside.
Karlsson - hard working, reported skating issues are unfounded, the kid definitely can improve, but he's not bad. Extremely effective on the forecheck, and played great defense...the kid is definitely pro material...hope he gets to play with McDavid this year...he'll make McDavid look good...with his offensive zone possession skills.
Bunting - looked good with Sammy & Gaudet, good speed, looks quick, nice hands, he's got 3rd line upside.
Westlund - much better today, made some nice plays and played physical. One of the better D today...the was one of the very few D that were noticeable...other than for noticing all the mistakes.
Eller - had a good game as well, made some nice plays with LaPlante.
LaPlante - hardest working guy on the ice along w/Gaudet...can definitely see him in a 4th line energy roll.
Gaudet - as advertised, looked really good between Samuelsson and Bunting...the kid is in the same mold as Vitale with less speed
Kulda - it's too bad they had MaInnis, need to probably switch that line up tomorrow, but the kid can play, nice work in the offensive zone, needs to work on the defense

Last edited:

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Oh...as well, standing room only today...nice ovation after the scrimmage when the players saluted the crowd.

Leblanc and Gosbee and one of the other owners were watching today, probably because it was a scrimmage as I didn't see them yesterday standing with Tipp, Maloney, Regier, Playfair and Newell.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just got back from Day 2.

I've got a new favorite from the lower rounds after today...hello Anton Karlsson forechecking machine.

Karlsson, Domi & Dvorak were the best line today. Karlsson is a forechecking machine, Dvorak made some nice plays and Domi had some great passes, very quick to the puck and nearly knocked the helmet off of Langhamer with a quick onetimer.

Second best line was Samuelsson, Gaudet & Bunting. Bunting scored a tip in...Samuelsson is just a freak in board battles, insane that he stripped so many pucks today and then made plays. He's gonna need to work on quickness, but he's going to be very good, a monster on the half wall. Gaudet is a player as well, I see what Tippett sees in him...but he'll need some AHL time. Bunting played well, really like him

Unfortunately for Perlini and Kulda they were centered by MacInnis who did not play well, had a hard time keeping up with the play and was lost defensively...ugh!!!! However, Perlini does everything with his head up, great to see, this dude is fast, wait until he gets invited to pro camp...oooooh he's going to be good, lightening quick shot. Kulda was good as well, but MacInnis kept screwing things up.

Other than those guys, players that had a good scrimmage were LaPlante, omg, hardest working player, Mads Eller was good, Larraza made some nice plays and whoever said above that Westlund made some plays as well was correct. Mayo moved the puck well, but he's gonna have to get stronger, but like watching Murphy the puck was always tape to tape with Mayo...unlike most all the other defenders who kept passing to the body rather than stick.

Here are the guys that didn't have a good scrimmage:
Soleway and Holland (#70) and Melindy didn't play well, Playfair's kid and Fejes.

In goal, Langhamer is awesome...he'll get 1 more year with Medicine Hat and then I'd expect him to be in Portland, the kid's got game...thank goodness we've got him...as Domingue looks to have hit a plateau and Visentin is the only current goalie who looks to be pro material unless Lee gets his game back.

So Summary:
Domi - lightening quick, good vision, should be in NHL
Samuelsson - great on the puck, good possession skills, needs to only work on quickness, will need to be in AHL for at least 1 season
Perlini - powerful stride, very fast, always has his head up (I'm thinking he can play center, not sure if Verhaeghe is coming back, but maybe they can get Niagara to move him) extremely quick shot and on target. The kid's stride is remarkable fluid, think Lisin light but at 6'3''. Needs to work on battle skills, probably needs 2 years, 1 more in Niagara and then 1 year in the AHL to round out his game. But he's the only prospect I see with 40 goal potential.
MacInnis - project, project, project. The bottom of all the new guys, the kid is big, but needs to work on skating, and quickness, until then, he doesn't have particularly good hands and was inefficient in many facets. Hope they give Perlini/Kulda someone else to work w/tomorrow.
Dvorak - looked good, worked extremely well with Domi & Karlsson, I see 3rd line center...with 2nd line center upside.
Karlsson - hard working, reported skating issues are unfounded, the kid definitely can improve, but he's not bad. Extremely effective on the forecheck, and played great defense...the kid is definitely pro material...hope he gets to play with McDavid this year...he'll make McDavid look good...with his offensive zone possession skills.
Bunting - looked good with Sammy & Gaudet, good speed, looks quick, nice hands, he's got 3rd line upside.
Westlund - much better today, made some nice plays and played physical. One of the better D today...the was one of the very few D that were noticeable...other than for noticing all the mistakes.
Eller - had a good game as well, made some nice plays with LaPlante.
LaPlante - hardest working guy on the ice along w/Gaudet...can definitely see him in a 4th line energy roll.
Gaudet - as advertised, looked really good between Samuelsson and Bunting...the kid is in the same mold as Vitale with less speed
Kulda - it's too bad they had MaInnis, need to probably switch that line up tomorrow, but the kid can play, nice work in the offensive zone, needs to work on the defense

Fantastic update

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Great scouting report, thank you Sin.

I'm feeling better about our prospect pool now :P

Seems RT, XX, and a couple others were right. We needed puck hounds and guys with motors, looks we have drafted a few.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
I thought Samuelsson was floating a bit as well. Not just slower.

I believe it's hard to really analyze players of Samuelsson's ilk in small camps like this. His strengths are more useful with real game situations. You're not allowed to be overly physical in camp, and we all know the guy is chippy. You have to be more passive because everyones your teammate. His skill set has been noticeable. I think he'll have a strong scrimmage.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Leblanc and Gosbee and one of the other owners were watching today, probably because it was a scrimmage as I didn't see them yesterday standing with Tipp, Maloney, Regier, Playfair and Newell.

DMandCO.jpg

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
One thing to add...Perlini looks to move well without the puck. Several times he could have received a pass in 'open space' within scoring zone had MacInnis not fumbled the puck or passed it right to a defender.

Again, I'd play the kid at center...at 6'3'' and the kid can skate, keeps his head up...unless they want that speed on the wing and don't want to give the kid the defensive responsibilities of playing center, cuz he does need to work on his defense...but in my mind, I'd move him.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
One thing about moving Perlini to the middle is he probably doesn't know how to take a face-off. Can't have a center winning only 10% of his draws. No matter how good he is.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Yep, but kid did say he plays center, my guess is that Niagara already had Verhaeghe at center and put the kid on his wing.

he probably played center his entire career leading up to joining juniors and because of his speed and height they moved him to wing.

The other thing right now is that I'm wishing we chose Cornel over MacInnis. I just dont' know how long it's going to take the kid to improve in both quickness and speed...definitely a 4 or 5yr project.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
One thing about moving Perlini to the middle is he probably doesn't know how to take a face-off. Can't have a center winning only 10% of his draws. No matter how good he is.

It's one of those skills that can be taught and refined. He just has had almost no reps at it. With his size and strength it might be worth exploring. I'd rather see him be a right wing, as those are incredibly valuable and he has the raw speed to play that side. Perlini is looking like the type of player you give it to and he goes, so he's not your prototypical shooter that needs a really great playmaking center.

The other thing right now is that I'm wishing we chose Cornel over MacInnis. I just dont' know how long it's going to take the kid to improve in both quickness and speed...definitely a 4 or 5yr project.

He looks like he doesn't train with weights. Give him three years, at least thirty pounds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad