GDT: Prospect Development Camp 8-10 July 2014

indczn

May 28, 2008
Anyone else here today? Be nice to put a face to the name.

Had to go back to work already.

Only a brief summary today:
Perlini looked very good today.
The squad was split 10 per side. 5on5 then 3on3 then shootout. Perlini looked very good. Picked top corner early in the scrimmage. Westlund scored on his shootout deke to 5hole.

Thor Savage

Oct 3, 2006
Arizona
Good practice today

Just from my fan's perspective Samuelsson, Perlini & Gaudet stood out. Domi looked good and I was impressed with #80 Greg Carey, the college FA the 'Yotes signed before the end of the season. He and Henrik worked well together.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Not a bad last day. Went 4v4 for about 20 mins and 3v3 for about 15 mins then a shoot out.

Anton karlsson is a steal has great wheels with great hands.

All an all here's how I ranked the guys I specifically watched.

Domi: has the ability to take over but didn't see as much as I though in the scrimmages. Has fantastic hands with a shot to go with it. He seems to be a pass first guy, but when he shoots it goes where he wants it. He has been really focusing on his two way game and his back check is better than most that were out there. He was in the right position more often than not and has great view of the ice and the way plays develop.

Samuelson: another kid that has great confidence with the puck. He, like domi has great hands and a shot. Lacks skating speed but that really didn't take him out of position from what I saw. He too looks for the pass before the shot, but again, like domi he can put it in the corners. Not as physical as I thought he would be, but he is very strong on the puck. He's the type of guy I think will excel with the right line mates.

Perlini: like most have said he has great vision. Rarely has his head down and makes tape to tape hard passes. He knows where his line mates are going to be and can develop a play out if nothing. Cuts across the ice between the dots with ease without losing the puck. His shot is where he's going to make his money. Gets the shot off very quickly and is extremely accurate. This was a great pick.

Karlsson: wow, what a steal. This kids speed and his knack to drive through traffic with the puck is money. His skating is effortless. This us a kid that will quickly become a guy we all love. Still needs some more work, but this is the pick I'm most excited about considering his draft position.

Dauphin/Gaudet/Carey all stood out in their own ways but nothing that I think really puts them over the top prospect wise.

The only noticeable guy on D that I saw was guy lebouef (sp) big kid that will stand you up at the blue line. Has a heavy shot with good outlet passing abilities. He is a guy that will clear a crease I'd assume under the right circumstances.

Langhamer: this is the goalie if our future. Extremely agile and always in position. Stood out well above appleby and Burke. I think this was also a great signing.

I went all three days and had a good look at the notables. I'm excited about our forward future for once.

I think a lot of these guys held up physically since it was a development camp. Not much checking or nastiness, but that's understandable.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Langhamer was a 7th round pick. He turned a new corner last season developmentally.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Karlsson: wow, what a steal. This kids speed and his knack to drive through traffic with the puck is money. His skating is effortless. This us a kid that will quickly become a guy we all love. Still needs some more work, but this is the pick I'm most excited about considering his draft position.

He is already my favorite...this kid is Winnik with a shot.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Hello Fellas, I was able to make it to the last session...couldn't resist.

There was more time and space today given that each team was playing 4-on-4 and that helped a few guys out to look better today - the two it helped the most were Greg Carey the Hobey Baker Finalist and MacInnis looked much better today.

My favorite Karlsson is going to be oh so good, the kid is "relentless" on the boards, and Dvorak was really good and Bunting scored a couple goals and was tremendous.

Last year's draft was probably as good as we've done in a while with Domi, Dauphin and LaPlante, but this year we absolutely "killed it". These last two drafts could go along way to helping our "depth" issues. I haven't been this excited about our prospects in forever.

Best shot of the day: Perlini's snipe, goalie didn't even see it, and it was right in the corner, this kid's signature shot. We're going to be going crazy for this kid.

Langhamer was a steal of a pick in the 7th round...he's our goalie of the future. The kid battles, we're going to love him...and what a name for a goalie - perfect.

I'll have a little more breakdown today later

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
Really love the positivity in this thread. Most of us (myself excluded :laugh:) were pretty happy with what we saw of Connor Murphy and Max Domi at camp, but the depth this year seems so much greater ... Dauphin, Laplante, MacInnis, Dvorak, Karlsson, Kulda and Langhamer ... be keeping tabs on all these kids this year.
"... and that's why he plays hockey, ladies and gentlemen." :laugh: Awesome video.

edmontonfan59

Nov 9, 2009
How did Sautner, Mayo and Eller from the Edmonton Oil Kings look? From what I've read Kulda and Sammulson did well.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Thanks a lot for the detailed reports - much appreciated.

Reading the reviews, it seems that the draft this year has been really solid.

Looking forward to September.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I am curious how Ross Johmston has looked?

Not really noticeable. Would have liked to have seen him be a bit more physical but that never came out. Didnt stand out of the crowd. Stayed with the middle of the pack for the most part.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Fellas, I didn't know where to put this...but I went and reviewed most of the scouting services draft grades for all the clubs and it looks like we're top 3 on most lists and #1 on many lists.

In fact, there are 2 scouting services that had 7 of our picks in their top 70 players. Imagine, 7 of the top 70 players - the only one that wasn't was Westlund. That is some good drafting, considering that most of the time we come away with just 1 of the top 70 players.

I truly hope that the same group does the same thing next season, it would be great to get another draft like this one.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
All that means is that the Coyotes drafted good value when it came to consensus picks. History has shown that doesn't necessarily represent the best players. Bernhardt isn't a great drafter, historically, and the Coyotes are one of the worst teams in the league at developing players once picked.

But yeah, it's nice to get some fleeting draft praise for once. ;)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
You take all drafts with a grain of salt - time will tell for sure if we got good pieces or not. It's looking good so far though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad