Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kind of like how Patch is not worth much right? Same kind of treatment towards Habs assets.

Price > Rinne. Not even close and one is locked up for 8 years and is age 31 while the other is 35 and needs a new contract at 36. Price is a game changer for a cup contender who has a goalie that struggled in the playoffs and will be past the age of 35.

I am valuing Price as a legit top 5 goalie for several years to come. Especially on that Preds D. Most GM's would value Price at $9.5M from age 31-38.

The real measure here what are the Preds plans in net? Keep Rinne and try to re-sign him, go with Saros, or find another depth goalie. Your a Flyers fan right? You know how difficult it is to find a top goalie in this league. Remove the Price offer... what are the Preds plans in net moving forward with the cup contender roster they have?
I love how you're trying to spin Price's contract as a positive, but it really isn't good that he's locked up on an awful deal for the next 8 years. Not to mention Price isn't currently a top 5 goalie until proven otherwise

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Neutral fan - very lopsided in the Habs favour, and doesn't seem to fit Nashville's needs. If it comes that Nashville needs to trade for a goalie, they could get a really good one for less than the OP without the massive term contract, and they have the Vezina winner with an heir apparent so it's pretty unlikely that they go shopping for one just yet

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
I love how Price goes from untouchable, one of the best goalies in the world, to negative value albatross after 1 bad season.

Deal is lopsided, but not as bad as some are making it out to be.
Part of it could be his terrible contract where 83% of the money he earns is in the form of bonuses while carry an aav of 10.5M. Sure I expect him to bounce back some but he isn’t going to be worth that contract

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
You don't think it is relevant to look at their playoff numbers when comparing goalies for the playoffs??

Not when their teams aren't really comparable, like I pointed out with their International stats. You can say Rinne is better than Price, but you can't use their playoffs numbers as a basis for that opinion.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Price retained brining his AAV down to $9.5 is only $2.5M more than what the Preds are already paying Rinne. And the return is solid but Price is one of the best goalies in the world and addresses a hole for the Preds with the current core they have.

You don't have to like it but throwing Price under the bus is stupid. He would be a game changer for the Preds and their D.

What's funny is thinking Rinne from age 36-38 is better than Price from age 31-38.

Problem is you completely ignore Price's contract, which is the biggest flaw when talking about him.

He's good. But his contract makes him less desirable, no matter how good he is. Times and times it's been shown that goalies are not the ones making THE difference in winning.

I guess your proposition would be worthy if Habs retained the maximum possible (50%). Because that way Price becomes cheap yet very useful.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Price needs to show he's "Carey Price" again before anyone will think about offering a good value for that contract. It seems like the OP is valuing the player, without considering the value of the contract. The player absolutely has positive value. It's really about "how positive is it?" when looking at his history versus his last year plus (2nd half of 17, and then 17-18).

His contract is brutal, no matter what G he is. Too much money for someone that simply cannot play every day.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Problem is you completely ignore Price's contract, which is the biggest flaw when talking about him.

He's good. But his contract makes him less desirable, no matter how good he is. Times and times it's been shown that goalies are not the ones making THE difference in winning.

I guess your proposition would be worthy if Habs retained the maximum possible (50%). Because that way Price becomes cheap yet very useful.

I'm not ignoring Price's contract. $9.5M from age 31-38. I know all about it. 50% retention is insane! Price around $9M ish is right. Top 5 goalie rates are going to be rising people. Thinking you can have a top goalie in the league for $6-7M range is a thing of the past.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Let's dig into this a big more. When was the last time a team dealt a Vezina winning goalie directly after having won it?

When was the last time a team dealt the Vezina winner for a more expensive goalie on a worse contract?

When was the last time a team dealt the reigning Vezina winner AND their by far best prospect?

When was the last time a team with a bottom five prospect pool dealt the Vezina winner, their best prospect and THREE picks?

Besides being incredibly lopsided, there isn't a precedent.

Reactions: matrixtrippin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's dig into this a big more. When was the last time a team dealt a Vezina winning goalie directly after having won it?

When was the last time a team dealt the Vezina winner for a more expensive goalie on a worse contract?

When was the last time a team dealt the reigning Vezina winner AND their by far best prospect?

When was the last time a team with a bottom five prospect pool dealt the Vezina winner, their best prospect and THREE picks?

When was the last time a defenseman like Karlsson traded?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
is an upgrade from Rinne to Price worth Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st, +1.5M-2.5M dollars (assuming NSH has an option to re-sign Rinne to an AAV of 7-8M)? Also is Rinne on his NTC list?

Reactions: Devonator

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Kind of like how Patch is not worth much right? Same kind of treatment towards Habs assets.

Price > Rinne. Not even close and one is locked up for 8 years and is age 31 while the other is 35 and needs a new contract at 36. Price is a game changer for a cup contender who has a goalie that struggled in the playoffs and will be past the age of 35.

I am valuing Price as a legit top 5 goalie for several years to come. Especially on that Preds D. Most GM's would value Price at $9.5M from age 31-38.

The real measure here what are the Preds plans in net? Keep Rinne and try to re-sign him, go with Saros, or find another depth goalie. Your a Flyers fan right? You know how difficult it is to find a top goalie in this league. Remove the Price offer... what are the Preds plans in net moving forward with the cup contender roster they have?

a) i never Said price wasnt worth much
b) never said patches wasnt worth much either.

Youre sitting here saying Rinne is old and etc, but this really just puts the Preds in the same situation in 3 years - if Price can even get back to Vezina form, which is a big iff.

Youre free to value Price as whatever you want. But until he proves he's the Vezina and Hart winning goalie that he once was, he isnt getting anything close to that kind of return, from any team.

I already stated what the Preds plans in net are, as have several others. i wont repeat myself.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
The contract is unmovable, sadly for Price. If it were to be moved you would certainly not get a haul like that. Rinne also has a Limited NTC + a NMC.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
The upgrade from Rinne to Price is not marginal at best. Were talking about a 5 year age gap. Rinne was disappointing in the playoffs as well. Why are people ignoring the Preds D and how Price would look behind them? They would be extremely difficult to score against... even more than with Rinne.. the guy on his last year of his contract and will be 36 next year.

If the Preds believe Saros can be a #1, then I understand why they decline. However, throwing Price under the bus in a reply is BS. He is a game changer and at $9.5M, the price is right.

Once again, you're speculating, but I suppose you'll try and shrug it off like it was just a question, again. :thumbu:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Sooooooo, you’re saying there’s a chance? :naughty:

Reactions: AK87

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
a) i never Said price wasnt worth much
b) never said patches wasnt worth much either.

Youre sitting here saying Rinne is old and etc, but this really just puts the Preds in the same situation in 3 years - if Price can even get back to Vezina form, which is a big iff.

Youre free to value Price as whatever you want. But until he proves he's the Vezina and Hart winning goalie that he once was, he isnt getting anything close to that kind of return, from any team.

I already stated what the Preds plans in net are, as have several others. i wont repeat myself.

- Price getting back to Vezina form is a big if? Come on man.
- The Patch comment was to make you realize about how you thought he wasn't worth much cause he had a bad year on a team that had a bad year.
- Sorry, I don't see many comments about what the Preds plans are in net. Only a few. Never noticed yours. All I noticed was your Price devalue attempts... just like with Patch

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
When was the last time a defenseman like Karlsson traded?

Chris Pronger - x 2. (One time for the same reason as Karlsson - ownership didn't want to pay the contract).

But really, who is counting.

Look. It is ok to make a mistake and post a bad trade. But when you do it, admit to it and move on and no one will ride you. But on a site where there is a large number of Habs fans and NOT one defends the proposal outside of you, then it may be time to admit the mistake and move on.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
How do you figure? Cause the Preds plan on re-signing Rinne from age 36+? Saros will take over the #1 job? Or they will get another top goalie in the league in the off season?

The answer to all of those questions may be yes. We will most likely re-sign Rinne after his current contract expires, it will most likely be a pay cut and will allow us to have some wiggle room for Fiala and Josi's next contracts.
Saros will get more starts between the next few seasons and could split the season with Rinne as early as this year.
IF Saros doesn't pan out we will find another goalie without trading our best Tolvanen.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I love how Price goes from untouchable, one of the best goalies in the world, to negative value albatross after 1 bad season.

Deal is lopsided, but not as bad as some are making it out to be.

If wasn't after 1 bad season, it's about the term and cap hit. Also, it's not Price has negative value as much as Preds are not offering up this really good package.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That's so bad for Nashville lol.

Let's just face reality, we're going to have to eat AT LEAST $3-million to get anything of note back, and even then, we're not getting numerous high picks. :laugh: I don't think Nashville has a problem at all with Saros being their goalie of the future as Rinne gets older, either, and would prefer that over paying for an $10.5-million 30+ year old.

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad