Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yes.

This may seriously be the worst ever here.

So they believe Saros can be a top goalie in the league and they can win a cup with him? Seems a bit premature don't you think? It's quite possible and I respect that they have faith in their young goalie. But how many years can the Preds go with the core they have and average goaltending? Not saying they had or will have average goaltending but there should be consideration made about a legit cup contender making an all in move for one of the best goalies in the world.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
At the current time, Price has between zero value, and negative value in a trade. He's been a fantastic goalie, one of the best of his era, no question about that, but he's had injury issues, and wasn't very good last year. In order to regain value, he needs to play a good portion of the season, be reliable AND return to the player he once was. At that point, Montreal might be able to trade him, but they are going to have to eat more cap than the OP suggested, and the return won't be near as good.

Once upon a time Patch was not worth much. I'm not buying the propaganda attempt in devaluing Price.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Fair comment. But pretending that Price is not a game changer for a cup contender in net is not something I am going to back down from. Especially for a team that has a expiring contract for a goalie who is 35+ and how he disappointed them in the playoffs.

What's more of a concern? Price at age 31 coming off a bad year on a bad team or giving a contract extension to a guy who is age 36 and got pulled in a playoff game?

The price to acquire Price should not be cheap. I started high and for good reason! I stand by that offer cause I think it fits. It fits our rebuild and it helps the Preds gets closer to winning a cup which they would value. Tolvanen is a must have and he didn't even make their team this year. The two late 1st's could easily bust
As mentioned above, Price on that contract is a bigger concern than Rinne at 35 years old who disappointed them last year in the playoffs, a year after posting a .930 SV% in their run to the finals where they literally didn't have a 1C because of injury that year. So I stand by Price and his contract and slew of issues that have kept him out of action since 2015 being the bigger concern over Rinne and him being pulled in a playoff game.

You can start high on Price all you want. If it were 2014 I'd agree with you. But his value plummeted with his recent season and his contract. Paying a goalie that much money is just a bad move considering the position doesn't hold much trade value to begin with (the Hawks won the Cup with Niemi, ffs. The Flyers went to the finals with Leighton).

The fact is with Price's contract, age, issues since 2015 regarding his knee, fatigue, etc., his value isn't as high as it would have been before the extension, and we'll have to give up something of note just to get another team to take the deal off the books for us. We sure as hell aren't getting a Tolvanen, two 1sts and a 2nd for a 31 year old Price on the first year of a monster deal. That's not happening.

I've been a Price supporter since day one, but the fact is the contract is garbage when you factor in the age it goes to, AAV, the fact that it's essentially buyout proof, and his recent play. And even if the play turns around and he returns somewhat to form, I still wouldn't want his contract.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I wouldn't even trade Rinne for Price straight up. Price's contract is bad enough to close a contender's window fairly quickly. And how does Price increase Nashville's chance at a cup when Rinne was better than Price last year? Because Rinne was pulled in the playoffs last year? So was Holtby, and that worked out rather nicely for him and the Caps

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This could be 2014-2015 Price that you are trading for and still at 9.5 M and that cost? Gotta be a Montreal fan proposal. No way any Nashville fan takes a serious look at this

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
This could be 2014-2015 Price that you are trading for and still at 9.5 M and that cost? Gotta be a Montreal fan proposal. No way any Nashville fan takes a serious look at this

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
So they believe Saros can be a top goalie in the league and they can win a cup with him? Seems a bit premature don't you think?

Wouldn't it also be premature to go out and spend a ton of assets on an expensive goalie, signed forever who had a bad year before even finding out if Saros can be a top goalie?

Reactions: Tex76

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As mentioned above, Price on that contract is a bigger concern than Rinne at 35 years old who disappointed them last year in the playoffs, a year after posting a .930 SV% in their run to the finals where they literally didn't have a 1C because of injury that year. So I stand by Price and his contract and slew of issues that have kept him out of action since 2015 being the bigger concern over Rinne and him being pulled in a playoff game.

You can start high on Price all you want. If it were 2014 I'd agree with you. But his value plummeted with his recent season and his contract. Paying a goalie that much money is just a bad move considering the position doesn't hold much trade value to begin with (the Hawks won the Cup with Niemi, ffs. The Flyers went to the finals with Leighton).

The fact is with Price's contract, age, issues since 2015 regarding his knee, fatigue, etc., his value isn't as high as it would have been before the extension, and we'll have to give up something of note just to get another team to take the deal off the books for us. We sure as hell aren't getting a Tolvanen, two 1sts and a 2nd for a 31 year old Price on the first year of a monster deal. That's not happening.

The contract is made reasonable after salary retention. Price for 8 years at $9M fits. Do you seriously think the top goalie rate remains the same over the next 8 years and there is no inflation? If you have a problem with Price, you should have a problem with Burns. He was locked up for 8 years at $8M from age 32-39.

Lets talk about Karlsson. He had a bit of decline in stats last year. It has nothing to do with the team he played on right? Karlsson will be age 29 next year. After he signs his next monster deal from age 29-36, he becomes negative value. It's ridiculous.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
The contract is made reasonable after salary retention. Price for 8 years at $9M fits.

It's really not reasonable at all, especially when you consider what you have the Preds giving up. You want us to spend $9 million a goalie, take away a player currently on his ELC (which means we have to go out and spend on another player or put a worse player on their ELC on our team) and give up multiple 1sts on top of that who could potentially be cheap contributors as well.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wouldn't it also be premature to go out and spend a ton of assets on an expensive goalie, signed forever who had a bad year before even finding out if Saros can be a top goalie?

The only asset that hurts is Tolavanen. The 1st round picks don't help the Preds win a cup with the core they have in the next 5 years. It's very possible the 1st round picks bust. So yeah, Tolavanen is the piece that hurts the most. But were talking about Price here and how he brings the Preds closer to winning a cup. There is value there

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's really not reasonable at all, especially when you consider what you have the Preds giving up. You want us to spend $9 million a goalie, take away a player currently on his ELC (which means we have to go out and spend on another player or put a worse player on their ELC on our team) and give up multiple 1sts on top of that who could potentially be cheap contributors as well.

What do you think a top goalie in the NHL makes in the next 8 years? The same rate it has been in previous years? Think about inflation. Top goalie rates are going up weather you like it or not.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
The contract is made reasonable after salary retention. Price for 8 years at $9M fits. Do you seriously think the top goalie rate remains the same over the next 8 years and there is no inflation? If you have a problem with Price, you should have a problem with Burns. He was locked up for 8 years at $8M from age 32-39.

Lets talk about Karlsson. He had a bit of decline in stats last year. It has nothing to do with the team he played on right? Karlsson will be age 29 next year. After he signs his next monster deal from age 29-36, he becomes negative value. It's ridiculous.
Any goalie that makes over 8 million, no matter how good, is a detriment to his team unless they STEAL something like 15-20 wins a season. Nashville is so good they can make Rinne into a Vezina winner. Price is not needed at all. Terrible contract by bergevin and you're stuck with it for another 8 years. Karlsson at age 36 will be 10x more productive than Price at 36. In fact, he's been more valuable his entire career aside from 2014-15. Comparing two top level defensemen to a goalie that has shown signs of regression is also laughable. Get real here, this trade makes no sense outside of a Habs fan's dream

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

No, because skaters have a larger impact on games than a goalie. Relying on a goalie like the Habs do is a recipe for disaster and that's what has led the Habs to paying a goalie $10.5m. Burns and Karlsson will play 25+ minutes a night for their team, controlling the game and the puck and leading the play. There's a difference in paying a skater a large sum of money because they have more of an impact on the game than a goalie imo. Karlsson and Burns will be productive into their late 30s. A goalie's play will normally decline, unless they're Luongo it seems.

I still wouldn't take Price at 8 years for $9m at this rate considering the age it takes him to and the problems since 2015. The Habs would have to retain at least $2.5m ($8m AAV) to even hope to get something worthwhile back, probably even $3m.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Once upon a time Patch was not worth much. I'm not buying the propaganda attempt in devaluing Price.

Last year 63 goalies played more than 15 games in the NHL. Price's save percentage was 53rd... easily bottom quartile goalie last year. His save percentage last night was 0.808

There is no propaganda devaluing Price, his play has done that on it's own. He has to return to his play of prior years... To boot, he missed most of the season in 15/16 and a chunk last year. If you don't think that poor play, and a substantial recent history of injury doesn't devalue a player... fair enough. LOL

He has to prove his value, and durability, once again... there is no current value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Any goalie that makes over 8 million, no matter how good, is a detriment to his team unless they STEAL something like 15-20 wins a season. Nashville is so good they can make Rinne into a Vezina winner. Price is not needed at all. Terrible contract by bergevin and you're stuck with it for another 8 years. Karlsson at age 36 will be 10x more productive than Price at 36. In fact, he's been more valuable his entire career aside from 2014-15

Not moving forward. You are ignoring inflation. $9M is considered high today but in 5 years, it won't be. The measuring factor here is if you believe Price gets the Preds closer to a cup or not. They have the cap space to make this move and the picks don't help their cup window. ET is the biggest pill to swallow

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
Not moving forward. You are ignoring inflation.
Show me a team with a goalie that makes over 8 million and I'll show you either a depleted forward corps or defensive corps. Price has THE WORST contract in the league. Only ones that come close are Seabrook and Ryan but at least they aren't 1/8 of their team's salary cap

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
So they believe Saros can be a top goalie in the league and they can win a cup with him? Seems a bit premature don't you think? It's quite possible and I respect that they have faith in their young goalie. But how many years can the Preds go with the core they have and average goaltending? Not saying they had or will have average goaltending but there should be consideration made about a legit cup contender making an all in move for one of the best goalies in the world.

You think too highly of Carey Price and his contract, regardless of some retention.

Rinne is just as good, and when he is done they have a fantastic replacement. Saros is outstanding.

So basically forget Saros completely, trade Rinne for a more expensive, more injury prone, albiet younger Rinne, add in your one and only blue chip prospect and 3 top picks?

As a Blues fan I hope they say yes.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The only asset that hurts is Tolavanen. The 1st round picks don't help the Preds win a cup with the core they have in the next 5 years. It's very possible the 1st round picks bust. So yeah, Tolavanen is the piece that hurts the most. But were talking about Price here and how he brings the Preds closer to winning a cup. There is value there

Rinne JUST won the Vezina. Our prospect pool is bottom five, every aspect of this trade doesn't favor Nashville. Contending teams need to infuse prospects into their organization while they're still winning. They may not help with winning the cup in the next 2-3 years, but they will help our team going into a potential rebuild immensely, look at how Chicago and the Rangers have dealt with their picks and prospects while they were winning.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last year 63 goalies played more than 15 games in the NHL. Price's save percentage was 53rd... easily bottom quartile goalie last year. His save percentage last night was 0.808

There is no propaganda devaluing Price, his play has done that on it's own. He has to return to his play of prior years... To boot, he missed most of the season in 15/16 and a chunk last year. If you don't think that poor play, and a substantial recent history of injury doesn't devalue a player... fair enough. LOL

He has to prove his value, and durability, once again... there is no current value.

Patch scored 17 goals last year on a bad team. What's your point? Price is no longer a top goalie in the world and Team Canada would pass on him being their #1?

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

What if we can use a 1st round pick to get a player at an actual position of need? Say Ottawa thinks Duchene won't re-sign and we put the pick in there and can go Johansen-Duchene-Turris down the middle? Wouldn't Rinne-Saros with those top 3 centers be better than Price-Saros with Johansen-Turris-Bonino?

Reactions: GeauxPreds1

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
When you are as close to winning a cup like the Preds, all in moves should be considered. That's how I see it anyways. You talk about Price's contract but you ignore that he would increase the Preds chances at winning a cup when they are already very close. Weird.
That is almost word for word what was said for last two years when mtl fans were trying to get a huge return for patches. Do you all use a template. I am kidding. As much as price would help any team. The idea of trading a 9 for a 10 rated goalie then add an elite prospect and 2 firsts and a second is just insane. At this point with prices contract you would be luck to get a 1st and prospect unless you retainf 50% then you could get a top prospect a 2 firsts. Only then,

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Rinne JUST won the Vezina. Our prospect pool is bottom five, every aspect of this trade doesn't favor Nashville. Contending teams need to infuse prospects into their organization while they're still winning. They may not help with winning the cup in the next 2-3 years, but they will help our team going into a potential rebuild immensely, look at how Chicago and the Rangers have dealt with their picks and prospects while they were winning.

Sorry but late 1st round picks are not going to be helping the Preds win a cup with their current core. What? Do you want to win cups like the Blackhawks and have a top prospect pool as well? Pretty sure the Blackhawks are happy with their Cups.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Not moving forward. You are ignoring inflation. $9M is considered high today but in 5 years, it won't be. The measuring factor here is if you believe Price gets the Preds closer to a cup or not. They have the cap space to make this move and the picks don't help their cup window. ET is the biggest pill to swallow
Goalie salaries will probably go up sure. I’d be more willing to bet it’s the arse end of the chain that gets the increase though.

As for Price, that contract is just awful at this current time. 3 or 4 years down the road, if his play evens out some, I could see it being moved.

So around age 35, I’ll bet he’s a Flyer. Suspect, aging goalie on an inflated contract? Sounds Flyer-ish.

Until then pray he can make it in to the rink daily without one of those push walkers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That is almost word for word what was said for last two years when mtl fans were trying to get a huge return for patches. Do you all use a template. I am kidding. As much as price would help any team. The idea of trading a 9 for a 10 rated goalie then add an elite prospect and 2 firsts and a second is just insane. At this point with prices contract you would be luck to get a 1st and prospect unless you retainf 50% then you could get a top prospect a 2 firsts. Only then,

Sorry. Not what I believe. Price at 50% retention would require a higher return. Think about what you are saying... Price at $5.25M? And you think we would be lucky to get a 1st and prospect?

Come on man

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Goalie salaries will probably go up sure. I’d be more willing to bet it’s the arse end of the chain that gets the increase though.

As for Price, that contract is just awful at this current time. 3 or 4 years down the road, if his play evens out some, I could see it being moved.

So around age 35, I’ll bet he’s a Flyer. Suspect, aging goalie on an inflated contract? Sounds Flyer-ish.

Until then pray he can make it in to the rink daily without one of those push walkers.

The past rate for a top goalie in the last 5 years was what? $6M - $8.5M? Pretty sure $9M won't look bad at all in 5 years. The low end might be $7M. Remember the talk around Luongo? He's 39 this year and still going strong. That contract was signed 9 years ago. Boy did inflation on top goalies ever change in those 9 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad