Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1) Pretty sure Price would waive his NMC to play for a cup contender and be reunited with Subban.

2) Preds have Rinne who disappointed in the playoffs and is age 35 on a $7M contract. Do they believe Saros can replace Rinne? Not sure.

3) Preds have no major contracts to negotiate for several years aside from Josi (2 more years). The core is set except for in net. Preds currently have over $9M in cap space so that is not an issue moving forward.

4) What does a guy like Price do for the Preds and does he get them closer to winning a cup in the next 5 years?

Price ($1M retained) for Rinne, Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st? We can also talk after July 1st of 2019 after Price gets paid his bonus.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
1) Pretty sure Price would waive his NMC to play for a cup contender and be reunited with Subban.

2) Preds have Rinne who disappointed in the playoffs and is age 35 on a $7M contract. Do they believe Saros can replace Rinne? Not sure.

3) Preds have no major contracts to negotiate for several years aside from Josi (2 more years). The core is set except for in net. Preds currently have over $9M in cap space so that is not an issue moving forward.

4) What does a guy like Price do for the Preds and does he get them closer to winning a cup in the next 5 years?

Price ($1M retained) for Rinne, Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st? We can also talk after July 1st of 2019 after Price gets paid his bonus.

Just so I have this straight, the Preds trade you last years Veznia winner, their best prospect, 2 1sts and a 2nd for the right to overpay a 31 year old Carey Price the next 8 years? Um....no?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Just so I have this straight, the Preds trade you last years Veznia winner, their best prospect, 2 1sts and a 2nd for the right to overpay a 31 year old Carey Price the next 8 years? Um....no?

How many Veznia's and Cups does Price get with the Preds D playing in front of him? What's the plan, to re-sign Rinne at age 36? Go with Saros as the #1? or find another goalie? Starting next year... Rinne at age 36-?? Don't look better than Price at age 32-38

Your not hurting my feelings. It's an inquiry and you clearly don't like it. But what's the plan for Rinne? The guy who won the Veznia but got pulled in the playoffs last year? Is Saros the guy that the Preds have faith in being the new #1?

Remember, it's a question. Relax.

Lenerdosy

Feb 23, 2015
Damn I may be in the minority but I would rather gamble on Saros. The little bit I have watched him (not much honestly) he has been good. With that D core I would rather go cheaper and invest those extra mills in other players (guys are going to get paid soon, not all of them are going to stay on these aweseome discount contracts forever). Trading for Price at 30 with 8 years left (or 7 after this season) and a 9 mill cap hit would be hard. I think Price is the best goalie in the league when healthy but these days with that contract and what seems to be more and more injuries slowly creeping up, I wouldn't give up that kings ransom you're asking for.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
How many Veznia's and Cups does Price get with the Preds D playing in front of him? What's the plan, to re-sign Rinne at age 36? Go with Saros as the #1? or find another goalie?

Starting next year... Rinne at age 36-?? Don't look better than Price at age 32-38

As of now, the plan is to resign Rinne to a short extension and split time between him and Saros. If Saros cannot carry the load, then you look at other options. But you certainly don't mortgage the future on a 31 year goalie who has an albatross of a contract and is coming off a down season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
As of now, the plan is to resign Rinne to a short extension and split time between him and Saros. If Saros cannot carry the load, then you look at other options. But you certainly don't mortgage the future on a 31 year goalie who has an albatross of a contract and is coming off a down season.

When you are as close to winning a cup like the Preds, all in moves should be considered. That's how I see it anyways. You talk about Price's contract but you ignore that he would increase the Preds chances at winning a cup when they are already very close. Weird.

Last edited:

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Sorry dude, but that's lock it up bad.

Preds also have Saros knocking on the door and I am sure most Preds fans would agree he will transition to starter over the next 2 seasons.

Reactions: Devonator

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How many Veznia's and Cups does Price get with the Preds D playing in front of him? What's the plan, to re-sign Rinne at age 36? Go with Saros as the #1? or find another goalie? Starting next year... Rinne at age 36-?? Don't look better than Price at age 32-38

Your not hurting my feelings. It's an inquiry and you clearly don't like it. But what's the plan for Rinne? The guy who won the Veznia but got pulled in the playoffs last year? Is Saros the guy that the Preds have faith in being the new #1?

Remember, it's a question. Relax.

Speculation. Speculation. Speculation. The answer could very well be none.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nobody wants Price’s contract, least of all for that insane return.

Price retained brining his AAV down to $9.5 is only $2.5M more than what the Preds are already paying Rinne. And the return is solid but Price is one of the best goalies in the world and addresses a hole for the Preds with the current core they have.

You don't have to like it but throwing Price under the bus is stupid. He would be a game changer for the Preds and their D.

What's funny is thinking Rinne from age 36-38 is better than Price from age 31-38.

Reactions: thepuckguru

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Sorry dude, but that's lock it up bad.

Preds also have Saros knocking on the door and I am sure most Preds fans would agree he will transition to starter over the next 2 seasons.

Well there were questions and inquiries. I guess you think Saros can be a #1 goalie better than Rinne? Preds are close to winning a cup... very close. Last thing they need is a struggling goalie or an unproven one. That's how I see it anyways.

But wait... Price has negative value. What a bunch of BS

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
This is one of the worst lopsided Habs proposals I've ever seen on HF.. and that's saying something.

Even at 50% retained this is too much for Price.

Look at it from the Preds point of view. Your goalie just won the Vezina. You're giving up your top prospect. Add to that 2 firsts and a second. All for a goalie you don't need who is signed to a monster contract for 8 more years. This is a crazy proposition.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
No.. it was a question. I guess your answer is zero based on how you are trying to twist it into a negative
It's not twisting it to a negative. You positioned it as question like you expect Price to do all of those things. You're speculating. Nobody knows.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012

Haha, what a joke.

You might get Rinne + 1st (2019) + 2nd (2020) for Price at 3 mil retained if you're lucky.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's not twisting it to a negative. You positioned it as question like you expect Price to do all of those things. You're speculating. Nobody knows.

Lets argue about a question you didn't answer and then called speculation. Should be fun.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Lets argue about a question you didn't answer and then called speculation. Should be fun.
I did answer. I said nobody knows.

But lets talk talk about you posting this,

"What's funny is thinking Rinne from age 36-38 is better than Price from age 31-38."

and treating it like Rinne or Price, ignoring everything Preds are giving up.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
That's worse than what we got for Patch :sarcasm:. Your return offer is a joke!

If Nashville were to give up a massive haul like that it wouldn't be for a 31 year old goaltender signed for $10.5 million for eight more years. There isn't an organizational need at this point for that kind of player. You obviously value Price highly, and he is one of the best goalies out there. However you've taken everything you want from Nashville and given nothing they want in return.

This is the anatomy of a bad trade.

Reactions: Devonator
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad