Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The answer to all of those questions may be yes. We will most likely re-sign Rinne after his current contract expires, it will most likely be a pay cut and will allow us to have some wiggle room for Fiala and Josi's next contracts.
Saros will get more starts between the next few seasons and could split the season with Rinne as early as this year.
IF Saros doesn't pan out we will find another goalie without trading our best Tolvanen.

Thanks for the comments and avoiding the troll attempts. It's reasonable. But this thought that Price don't get the Preds closer to winning a cup is something I find ridiculous.

Will Rinne take a pay cut? It's possible but banking on that is risky. Rinne will be looking for term and likely a 2 or 3 year deal ish from age 36-38 range. That might be how you get him to take a AAV cut. I think it really does come down to how good Saros is and what confidence the Preds have that he can be a future #1.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
How do you figure? Cause the Preds plan on re-signing Rinne from age 36+? Saros will take over the #1 job? Or they will get another top goalie in the league in the off season?
I figure Saros is probably already ready to take over and Rinne's comments make it appear he will stay in Nashville (for a lower price) even after Saros takes over.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Kind of like how Patch is not worth much right? Same kind of treatment towards Habs assets.

You keep talking about Patches. Patches going to Vegas was contingent on the extension. From what I saw, people who bashed the return he was going to get talked about it as a complete UFA deal.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
What do you think a top 5 goalie is worth then?

I don't think the value of a top 5 goalie is the issue, it's the value between what they have already and what you're offering. Rinne is still very serviceable and Saros may a very good replacement after Rinne's contract ends.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
- Price getting back to Vezina form is a big if? Come on man.
- The Patch comment was to make you realize about how you thought he wasn't worth much cause he had a bad year on a team that had a bad year.
- Sorry, I don't see many comments about what the Preds plans are in net. Only a few. Never noticed yours. All I noticed was your Price devalue attempts... just like with Patch

Yes, it's a big if, given age and injury concerns. Apparently the only one who doesnt see that is you. No one is saying it's not possible, but to assume it's a given is foolish.

Again, I never said patches waant worth much in any thread. I never wrote off his ability to come back, especially after watching my own player - Giroux - do it ( you know, the player you said the flyers would have to add to to get Galchenyuk?) Keep waving that "everyone hates us" banner though.

Maybe if you read posts instead of just responding blindly all the time, youd actually see these things.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's so bad for Nashville lol.

Let's just face reality, we're going to have to eat AT LEAST $3-million to get anything of note back, and even then, we're not getting numerous high picks. :laugh: I don't think Nashville has a problem at all with Saros being their goalie of the future as Rinne gets older, either, and would prefer that over paying for an $10.5-million 30+ year old.

What's the difference between Price at age 31-38 ($9M AAV ish) vs Rinne at age 35-38 (at $7M AAV ish)? $2M difference and goaltending stability for a guy who is 5 years younger. But if they think Saros can be that guy, then that changes things.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
How many Veznia's and Cups does Price get with the Preds D playing in front of him?

None, he's flaming hot garbage in the playoffs. He could have the 70s canadiens or the 80s oilers in front of him and he'd still find a way to choke like he has every single year. And that's not even getting into his injury history

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
None, he's flaming hot garbage in the playoffs. He could have the 70s canadiens or the 80s oilers in front of him and he'd still find a way to choke like he has every single year

He choked like Patch so he is not worth much like Patch right? Nothing new here people.. just another troll attempt at devaluing Habs assets.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Price retained brining his AAV down to $9.5 is only $2.5M more than what the Preds are already paying Rinne. And the return is solid but Price is one of the best goalies in the world and addresses a hole for the Preds with the current core they have.

You don't have to like it but throwing Price under the bus is stupid. He would be a game changer for the Preds and their D.

What's funny is thinking Rinne from age 36-38 is better than Price from age 31-38.

Rinne literally just won the Vezina. Even at his best, how much of a ‘gamechanger’ could Price be?

Look, if you make a trade proposal with your own team involved and you have to constantly keep saying that your team doesn’t make out like bandits then you’re doing it wrong.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He choked like Patch so he is not worth much like Patch right? Nothing new here people.. just another troll attempt at devaluing Habs assets.

Patch isn't making 8 figures until his late 30s playing a position where you either get it done or you need someone else there. You can't have 3 goalies on the ice like skaters/wingers/defensemen so that he can still contribute even if he decides to take a series off.

I'm perfectly content watching Price on the Habs for the rest of his contract, the excuses you come up with for his garbage playoff performances every single year are more entertaining than the team.

You have actual valuable assets like Petry, Kotkaniemi, Drouin. Price is not one of them.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
What's the difference between Price at age 31-38 ($9M AAV ish) vs Rinne at age 35-38 (at $7M AAV ish)? $2M difference and goaltending stability for a guy who is 5 years younger. But if they think Saros can be that guy, then that changes things.
is this a serious question? Maybe the difference is the fact that Rinne only has one year left on his deal and will most likely take a substantial cut to finish his career in Nashville? Why would Nashville want a boat anchor of a contract with Price at $10.5 for another 8 years when Rinne is off the books after this season and could probably sign at an AAV that's about $5m or so less than Price's (maybe even more depending on how bad he wants to stay in Nashville)?

Nashville also has to re-sign the likes of Josi, Subban, Saros, Ekholm, Arvidsson and Forsberg over the duration of Price's contract.

And Saros is the guy they look at for the next starting role, no doubt. A Nashville fan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no reason why they wouldn't have confidence in Saros to step into that starting role very soon.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Only way I will believe Price gets traded is when Bergevin says a quote related to this.

"Carey Price is the face of our organization and is one of the best goaltenders in the league. I would never trade him away."

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
How do you figure? Cause the Preds plan on re-signing Rinne from age 36+? Saros will take over the #1 job? Or they will get another top goalie in the league in the off season?

Rinne will be re-signed, Saros will be transitioned to the starter. And the talk about Rinne failing in the playoffs last year is overblown. 7 of the 13 games he had a save percentage at .920 or above. The ones he didn't.

Game 2 vs Avs

Goal 1 - Bourque fires a shot from between the circles low and off the inside of the post and in. Not many goalies stop that.
Goal 2 - Backhand by MacKinnon with a defensive stick in the way. Backhands aren't easy to stop as is, even harder when it's difficult to see the puck.
Goal 3 - 5 on 3 goal by Landeskog where he is standing right in front of Rinne. Puck deflects off Landeskog's leg on a shot by MacKinnon and goes in.
Goal 4 - Blocked shot bounces right back to Kerfoot who fires it into traffic. May have hit off an Avs player or Subban and goes in.

Game 3 vs Avs

Goal 1 - Comeau tips in puck right in front of Rinne after the defense gets lost.
Goal 2 - Bourque tips a shot from Nemeth right in front of Rinne. No chance.
Goal 3 - Breakaway for MacKinnon.
Goal 4 - Puck bouncing around. MacKinnon controls it about 10 feet from Rinne. Again, not ideal.

Game 1 vs Jets

Goal 1 - Rinne makes a save on a backhander from about 10 feet out. Turris stops skating, rebound goes to Tanev who puts it in.
Goal 2 - Rinne stops Laine from 10 feet out between the circles. Subban loses position on Stastny who puts in the rebound.
Goal 3 - Bad goal. Should've been stopped.

Game 3 vs Jets

Goal 1 - Puck skips on the ice, bounces up and hits Stastny's leg and goes in.
Goal 2 - Byflugien slap shot with a screen flashing by.
Goal 3 - Defense completely loses Trouba despite a 4 on 3 advantage.
Goal 4 - Scramble in front, Jets again beat out the Preds defense for the puck. Laine fires a cross ice pass to Byfuglien who puts it in. Maybe Rinne should've gotten across faster but the problem began when the Preds couldn't win the puck with a 3-2 player edge.
Goal 5 - Schiefele shoots from between the circles on the PP, Rinne makes the save, puck bounces right to Wheeler who puts it in from an almost impossible angle.

Game 5 vs Jets

Goal 1 - Laine takes a shot from the left wing circle, puck deflects off Stastny right in front of Rinne and in. No chance to stop it.
Goal 2 - Rinne again makes a save in traffic. Predators again don't get to the puck and Connor puts it in.
Goal 3 - Scramble in front of the net after Tanev runs into Rinne's leg and knocks a frozen puck loose there's a huge scramble in front, Jets come away with it, Byfuglien fires a slap shot through 3 Predators and past Rinne who lost his stick in the scramble.
Goal 4 - Predators turn it over at the blue line. Byfuglien skates in about 10 feet, connects on a pass with Wheeler who is right in front of Rinne. Subban and Ekholm both converge on Wheeler which leaves a streaking Connor wide open between the circles about 10 feet out.
Goal 5 - Connor works Johansen and then flips a little backhanded pass to Schiefele who is once again between the circles about 10 feet out.
Goal 6 - Puck deflected wide on the PP and bounces right back out in front of the net. Perrault puts it in.

Game 7 vs Jets

The one game where Rinne could truly be described as awful. Until then though, the problems had more to do with the play in front of him than Rinne himself. Maybe he should've stopped a few of these but the defense in the playoffs last year was really, really terrible.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
is this a serious question? Maybe the difference is the fact that Rinne only has one year left on his deal and will most likely take a substantial cut to finish his career in Nashville? Why would Nashville want a boat anchor of a contract with Price at $10.5 for another 8 years when Rinne is off the books after this season and could probably sign at an AAV that's about $5m or so less than Price's (maybe even more depending on how bad he wants to stay in Nashville)?

Nashville also has to re-sign the likes of Josi, Subban, Saros, Ekholm, Arvidsson and Forsberg over the duration of Price's contract.

And Saros is the guy they look at for the next starting role, no doubt. A Nashville fan can correct me if I'm wrong, but I see no reason why they wouldn't have confidence in Saros to step into that starting role very soon.

The goal is to win a cup. What are the chances of winning a cup with Rinne from age 35+ vs Price from 31+ ? They are better with Price. Also, I'm not so sure Rinne is going to take a major pay cut.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Patch isn't making 8 figures until his late 30s playing a position where you either get it done or you need someone else there. You can't have 3 goalies on the ice like skaters/wingers/defensemen so that he can still contribute even if he decides to take a series off.

I'm perfectly content watching Price on the Habs for the rest of his contract, the excuses you come up with for his garbage playoff performances every single year are more entertaining than the team.

You have actual valuable assets like Petry, Kotkaniemi, Drouin. Price is not one of them.

It's not garbage excuses. The same BS comments were made towards Patch and he got a very good return. Way more than your line of thinking thought we could get. And Price is garbage in the playoffs? Not sure where you are coming up with this garbage.

As far as Price with the Habs for the whole contract. Habs are fully prepared to keep him. We know the asset we have.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The goal is to win a cup. What are the chances of winning a cup with Rinne from age 35+ vs Price from 31+ ? They are better with Price. Also, I'm not so sure Rinne is going to take a major pay cut.
If I were Nashville, I'd rather roll the dice on winning the Cup with Rinne and Saros on their current deals than pay a 31 year old goalie that much money for that long who hasn't won a Cup or even been to the Cup Finals either, and has had a slew of injury and "chronic fatigue" problems since 2015.

Reactions: Tex76 and Starat327

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If I were Nashville, I'd rather roll the dice on winning the Cup with Rinne and Saros on their current deals than pay a 31 year old goalie that much money for that long who hasn't won a Cup or even been to the Cup Finals either, and has had a slew of injury and "chronic fatigue" problems since 2015.

Fair comment. But pretending that Price is not a game changer for a cup contender in net is not something I am going to back down from. Especially for a team that has a expiring contract for a goalie who is 35+ and how he disappointed them in the playoffs.

What's more of a concern? Price at age 31 coming off a bad year on a bad team or giving a contract extension to a guy who is age 36 and got pulled in a playoff game?

The price to acquire Price should not be cheap. I started high and for good reason! I stand by that offer cause I think it fits. It fits our rebuild and it helps the Preds gets closer to winning a cup which they would value. Tolvanen is a must have and he didn't even make their team this year. The two late 1st's could easily bust

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
None, he's flaming hot garbage in the playoffs. He could have the 70s canadiens or the 80s oilers in front of him and he'd still find a way to choke like he has every single year. And that's not even getting into his injury history

So you're saying he would choke regardless of the strength of the team in front of him? Weird, I think he won two Olympic golds in that exact scenario.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
What's more of a concern? Price at age 31 coming off a bad year on a bad team or giving a contract extension to a guy who is age 36 and got pulled in a playoff game?

The price to acquire Price should not be cheap. I started high and for good reason! I stand by that offer cause I think it fits.

Price on that contract is of much bigger concern than Rinne on the last year of his contract with a replacement already on hand. And you should probably not be standing by that offer. It's a joke.

Reactions: Starat327

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
How can he answer a question that simply can't be answered?

With an opinion. Not all comments on HF boards are facts. If Team Canada was making a team today, Price is the starting goalie and there is plenty to choose from. Price would be a game changer for the Preds and that D. And yes, it's my opinion

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
At the current time, Price has between zero value, and negative value in a trade. He's been a fantastic goalie, one of the best of his era, no question about that, but he's had injury issues, and wasn't very good last year. In order to regain value, he needs to play a good portion of the season, be reliable AND return to the player he once was. At that point, Montreal might be able to trade him, but they are going to have to eat more cap than the OP suggested, and the return won't be near as good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad