Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
When you are as close to winning a cup like the Preds, all in moves should be considered. That's how I see it anyways. You talk about Price's contract but you ignore that he would increase the Preds chances at winning a cup when they are already very close. Weird.

Would he really help the Preds chances? Look at their career playoff numbers below:

Carey:
GPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Pekka:

GPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I did answer. I said nobody knows.

But lets talk talk about you posting this,

"What's funny is thinking Rinne from age 36-38 is better than Price from age 31-38."

and treating it like Rinne or Price, ignoring everything Preds are giving up.

I do think it's funny thinking Rinne from age 35/36-38 is better than Price from age 31-38. I'm not ignoring everything the Preds are giving up. I'm asking for a grade A prospect and picks. Seems pretty fair to me if the Habs are trading one of the best goalies in the world.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Would her really help the Preds chances? Look at their career playoff numbers below:

Carey:
GPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Pekka:

GPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

Context is important here. Preds D >>>>>>> Habs D

LargusMeans

Apr 14, 2009
Squampton, BC
Ok bro, time to take the Habs coloured glasses off and listen to what people are telling you. Nobody and I mean NOBODY, wants to touch Price and that contract. He is a Hab until the end of his career. Then thinking that another team with the BEST GOALIE IN THE NHL last season wants to fire off their best prospect, 2 1st and a 2nd for him is pure lunacy. People shit on Leafs fans all the time, but this is delusion at its finest.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price doesn't get along with Subban... :dunce:

Even if we retain 50% of is salary, they would not do it.

Price and Subban don't get along? And 50% retention? Come on man.

JaMbXaf.jpg

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Well there were questions and inquiries. I guess you think Saros can be a #1 goalie better than Rinne? Preds are close to winning a cup... very close. Last thing they need is a struggling goalie or an unproven one. That's how I see it anyways.

But wait... Price has negative value. What a bunch of BS

Price needs to have a great season to improve his value. I am sure there are some teams out there where he has fairly positive value. But you've asked for a comparable goalie, a top 10 league-wide prospect, two 1sts and a 2nd.

I don't want to speak on behalf of Preds fans but my impression is that many believe that Saros will be better than what Rinne is now. (Not saying better than Rinne in his Prime). I personally lean that way too. The biggest question mark I have on Saros is his sanity... guy signed 3 years at $1.5M when he's the heir apparent. Poile did some magic there.

The Canadiens would be best to hold on to Price this year and hope for a return to form where he is a top 5 goalie in the league. As it stands he is at least $3M overpaid compared to his peers... and for 8 years until his is 39 years old. It's the term that kills his value. If he had 4 or 5 years to go it would be more manageable. Even then there are serious questions about his durability.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
the bundle is absurd, but that aside,
for Habs fans who hope Price is moved,
choose teams that don't already have a true #1 and hope to content, like maybe Flyers

Reactions: TFHockey

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok bro, time to take the Habs coloured glasses off and listen to what people are telling you. Nobody and I mean NOBODY, wants to touch Price and that contract. He is a Hab until the end of his career. Then thinking that another team with the BEST GOALIE IN THE NHL last season wants to fire off their best prospect, 2 1st and a 2nd for him is pure lunacy. People **** on Leafs fans all the time, but this is delusion at its finest.

Same BS comments we got for Patch's value. Go somewhere else with your BS.

Reactions: JFH

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
the bundle is absurd, but that aside,
for Habs fans who hope Price is moved,
choose teams that don't already have a true #1 and hope to content, like maybe Flyers

The Preds true #1 is age 35 (5 years older than Price), got pulled in the playoffs, and has one more year left on his contract.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This is lopsided bad for Nashville.

Preds plan on running a Rinne-Saros Tandem, then a Saros-Rinne tandem, i would imagine. The upgrade from Rinne to Price is marginal at best (and thats assuming Price begins playing like old Price and doesnt continue to break down).

They'll also need that cap space to re-sign key players in the near future. Price to Nash is about as bad a fit you can come up with.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Price needs to have a great season to improve his value. I am sure there are some teams out there where he has fairly positive value. But you've asked for a comparable goalie, a top 10 league-wide prospect, two 1sts and a 2nd.

I don't want to speak on behalf of Preds fans but my impression is that many believe that Saros will be better than what Rinne is now. (Not saying better than Rinne in his Prime). I personally lean that way too. The biggest question mark I have on Saros is his sanity... guy signed 3 years at $1.5M when he's the heir apparent. Poile did some magic there.

The Canadiens would be best to hold on to Price this year and hope for a return to form where he is a top 5 goalie in the league. As it stands he is at least $3M overpaid compared to his peers... and for 8 years until his is 39 years old. It's the term that kills his value. If he had 4 or 5 years to go it would be more manageable. Even then there are serious questions about his durability.

NHL GM's don't think like fans. I heard the same BS replies about Patch. "Patch is coming off a bad year and is not worth that much" "Price has negative value". Most realistic people know how Price would increase the Preds chances at winning a cup.

The issue here is wanting to make an all in move, not how bad Price is. Price is one of the best goalies in the world... no matter how people try to spin it.

Reactions: JFH

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is lopsided bad for Nashville.

Preds plan on running a Rinne-Saros Tandem, then a Saros-Rinne tandem, i would imagine. The upgrade from Rinne to Price is marginal at best (and thats assuming Price begins playing like old Price and doesnt continue to break down).

They'll also need that cap space to re-sign key players in the near future. Price to Nash is about as bad a fit you can come up with.

The upgrade from Rinne to Price is not marginal at best. Were talking about a 5 year age gap. Rinne was disappointing in the playoffs as well. Why are people ignoring the Preds D and how Price would look behind them? They would be extremely difficult to score against... even more than with Rinne.. the guy on his last year of his contract and will be 36 next year.

If the Preds believe Saros can be a #1, then I understand why they decline. However, throwing Price under the bus in a reply is BS. He is a game changer and at $9.5M, the price is right.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Context is important here. Preds D >>>>>>> Habs D

Montreal doesn't have a good defence - Today.
Don't pretend Price hasn't played behind some excellent defences as I seem to remember this Markov guy and a Norris winner, etc. and a team that employed a 'collapse and counter' strategy to clog up the slot for most of his career with some excellent defensive forwards up front.

If I'm Nashville I don't think I trade Rinne straight up for Price at the moment. Price is a good goalie in the top 10 somewhere - but you wouldn't have even gotten that return halfway through his Hart season if he was only making $7M.

On the off chance the Habs trade Price. The Habs will retain $2M - and you'll receive a 1st, a team's 3-6 best young player/prospect and either a 2nd or a team's 7-12 best young player/prospect or something like that.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I think NSH passes. to much to give up for a goalie who has been oft-injured the past couple years and whose stats are not that far off Rinne's the past few years. Even the full PO stats of Price and Rinne aren't far off. I think NSH will re-sign Rinne for a short term deal and run a 1A/1B tandem until Saros gets acclimated as a full time starter. I also don't think Price 9.5M could be absorbed long term. Josi is on a sweetheart deal that expires in 2 years and he gets what? 8.5-9M?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Understand OP logic but asking way too much for Price and his contract. Preds pass

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
1) Pretty sure Price would waive his NMC to play for a cup contender and be reunited with Subban.

2) Preds have Rinne who disappointed in the playoffs and is age 35 on a $7M contract. Do they believe Saros can replace Rinne? Not sure.

3) Preds have no major contracts to negotiate for several years aside from Josi (2 more years). The core is set except for in net. Preds currently have over $9M in cap space so that is not an issue moving forward.

4) What does a guy like Price do for the Preds and does he get them closer to winning a cup in the next 5 years?

Price ($1M retained) for Rinne, Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st? We can also talk after July 1st of 2019 after Price gets paid his bonus.

Regardless of how legit you may be, you really should quit.

Absolutely awful proposal.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
1. Yes, we believe Saros will take over from Rinne soon. He often looked like the better of the two last year.

2. We're not trading Tolvanen for a player we don't need. We pretty much lucked out into a top 5 pick. Our prospect pool is one of the worst in the league, we're incredibly lucky we have him because after that we have nothing.

3. If we're trading that much for a 31 year old with an enormous contract we might as well go all out and grab someone younger.

This is not a good deal for Nashville at all.

Reactions: TFHockey
Feb 24, 2017
Nobody wants Price’s contract, least of all for that insane return.
If Carey Price is the difference between finals and losing or second round and losing vs winning it all, the contract could be double length and worth it. Except on a creepy website where being still in the throes of puberty is the greatest trait a hockey player can possess.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The OP should be asking "What team is a top goaltender away from contending"? Who has the cap space to absorb Price's contract? Who has what we need?"

Nashville is the wrong team for this kind of trade, never mind how lopsided it is.

I think one poster mentioned the Flyers as needing a top flight goaltender. I'd also add the Flames and Carolina to the list. These teams are ones who could really benefit from a top goalie with term. You could get some kind of package out of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad