Proposal: Price to the Preds (Habs retain $1M)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Price is my favourite goalie and I have a lot of confidence that he'll rebound and re-establish his value league-wide. His team may hold him back from being a Vezina candidate or anything like that, but I can definitely see him regaining the "best goalie in the world" title.

And all that said, I still would not take him on the Preds right now, not even for free. Not even with $1M retention for free. Forget the absurd trade proposal. He's just not something the Preds need right now, so why sink all that cap space into another goalie, even if he is the best? Rinne won the Vezina last year, and we have A LOT of faith in Saros. And a great cap situation coming up on those two for the next few seasons. I would rather use our cap space on locking up our D further (Josi next up), maybe securing another top-6 winger, etc, instead of upgrading in goal.

Now maybe things would change in another year if Rinne fades more quickly than expected and Saros doesn't live up to our expectations. That could happen. But call again next year if it does, because today we aren't interested in Price, not even for free.

Reactions: valeriammm

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
1) Pretty sure Price would waive his NMC to play for a cup contender and be reunited with Subban.

2) Preds have Rinne who disappointed in the playoffs and is age 35 on a $7M contract. Do they believe Saros can replace Rinne? Not sure.

3) Preds have no major contracts to negotiate for several years aside from Josi (2 more years). The core is set except for in net. Preds currently have over $9M in cap space so that is not an issue moving forward.

4) What does a guy like Price do for the Preds and does he get them closer to winning a cup in the next 5 years?

Price ($1M retained) for Rinne, Tolvanen, 2019 1st, 2020 2nd, 2022 1st? We can also talk after July 1st of 2019 after Price gets paid his bonus.

Well, this is silly.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Why would the Preds even do this? They have another quality netminder in Saaros coming in, in what seems like an (almost) perfect timing. They've slowly been grooming him to the NHL with around 20 games at 21 and 22 years of age. His save percentage is similar than Rinne on a similar team. His shorthanded save percentage is better than Rinne over this small sample also.

Granted this is all numbers I have not actually seen him play. From the game logs he seems to play exceptionally well on nights he wins and pretty bad on lost games (sv% wise) but again, numbers, no context.

Anyway why would the Preds trade for a 31 years old Price, when Saros is coming at the perfect timing to gradually replace Rinne (also two Finnish goaltenders, seems like a perfect mentor-mentee scenario as well).

If Saros is a future starter like it seems, they are set in nets for another decade lol

Reactions: DRW204

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
I love how Price goes from untouchable, one of the best goalies in the world, to negative value albatross after 1 bad season.

Deal is lopsided, but not as bad as some are making it out to be.

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Would he really help the Preds chances? Look at their career playoff numbers below:

Carey:
GPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]
Pekka:

GPGSWLT/OGASASVSV%GAA
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TFOOT] [/TFOOT]

I don't think the proposal is anywhere close to being fair, however, I'd like to point out your stats comparison is as useless as using their post-junior age International stats:

Rinne
27GP 14W 10L 1.88GAA .926SV%

Price
10GP 10W 0L 0.99GAA .963SV%

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Preds have a few goaltenders in the pipeline, and Saros looks like a really good, cheap option for a few years. Preds would be better off trading Rinne to a team that really needs a goaltender and using the cap space somewhere else (upgrading on Bonino? Signing Fiala/Josi).

Reactions: TFHockey

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
Granted this is all numbers I have not actually seen him play. From the game logs he seems to play exceptionally well on nights he wins and pretty bad on lost games (sv% wise) but again, numbers, no context.
This is actually a good observation. Saros is very small for a goalie, so he needs to play perfectly. He can't cover any mistakes with his size. On nights that he is off, he looks bad. I don't feel confident he can make it as a full on starter.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The upgrade from Rinne to Price is not marginal at best. Were talking about a 5 year age gap. Rinne was disappointing in the playoffs as well. Why are people ignoring the Preds D and how Price would look behind them? They would be extremely difficult to score against... even more than with Rinne.. the guy on his last year of his contract and will be 36 next year.

If the Preds believe Saros can be a #1, then I understand why they decline. However, throwing Price under the bus in a reply is BS. He is a game changer and at $9.5M, the price is right.

Because its 100% speculation. It's the same as when people say X winger will score 50 playing next to McDavid. It's the most tired phrase on the weebsite. Not everyone gets the same. Likewise with goalies, some work better in certain systems, or when they see more shots, or less.

You're valuing Price when he was in Vezina form. The rest of the world sees him in his human, and injury riddled form. No one is paying a premium (and the package you proposed is so far beyond premium it's not even funny), until he gets back to that fork consistently and stays healthy.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
The OP should be asking "What team is a top goaltender away from contending"? Who has the cap space to absorb Price's contract? Who has what we need?"

Nashville is the wrong team for this kind of trade, never mind how lopsided it is.

I think one poster mentioned the Flyers as needing a top flight goaltender. I'd also add the Flames and Carolina to the list. These teams are ones who could really benefit from a top goalie with term. You could get some kind of package out of them.

The flyers are riding on Carter Hart. Were not throwing our cap situation in to hell for Carey Price.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Price would be very hard to trade imo…. if you expecting 2 1sts, a top prospect + a vezina winning goalie for him... I feel like your going to be very disappointed if he ever does get traded(+only 1 mil retained)

Reactions: Devonator

Danny1237

Jun 12, 2016
I think the basics of this trade - Price for Rinne - is about the only way you can move Price. Find a team that feels they are close, take an expensive older goalie back, maybe even hold a small amount in salary, and then get a bit of a return.

Personally I don't see any team seeing Price as enough of an upgrade to pay the kind of premium in this deal. Not because I think Price is viewed as past his prime as such, but most teams that are close have at least a capable starter, and the difference between a good starter and a great starter, just really isn't that much of an upgrade.

I don't think Nashville views their goaltending as the biggest weakness, and they are probably more intrigued about going into their window of contention with Tolvanen as a surprise weapon on an ELC than they are about using cap space and assets to turn Rinne into Price.

I think Nashville is a good target, but the return for swapping these goalies would have to be a lot less. The goal for Montreal would be to have a situation where they just don't have $10.5M tied up in goal a few years from now when their best prospects are coming up and providing real value. Also, Nashville would have to feel the price of the upgrade was cheap enough to make it worth while. So I think maybe a conditional 1st would be the max Montreal could really hope for in this type of deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
The flyers are riding on Carter Hart. Were not throwing our cap situation in to hell for Carey Price.

True, you have some contracts for guys coming who'll demand a hefty raise. However looking at your combination of Elliott and Neuvrith it is reasonable to say Price would be a massive upgrade.

Carter Hart is promising but he would have to go on to have one hell of a career to equal Cary Price.

Point taken about the cap though.

Last edited:

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
prices contract is just awful, goalies at his age rarely maintain peak form and he's been battered with injuries as well. OP's offer is an absolute joke. lol. Habs would be the ones that have to give their top prospect and picks for someone to take that contract. it's such a crippling contract, people need to realize this. every dollar counts, and you lose so much space to keep/add core players at other positions when 10.5 million is going to an injury prone 30 plus year old goalie.

Reactions: Devonator

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
I love how Price goes from untouchable, one of the best goalies in the world, to negative value albatross after 1 bad season.

no it's horrible, and i'm a huge price fan. that contract is one of the ugliest if not the ugliest in the league. that signing only made sense in montreal 5 years ago when price was carrying that putrid team on his back for half a decade. he leveraged that contract based on that premise that he would yield those bad teams on his own to victory. no other team was/is that reliant on a goalie, and price is no longer that hard/vezina calibre goalie. he broke his BACK from the heavy lifting. his back is broken. spinal.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
True, you have some contracts for guys coming who'll demand a hefty raise. However looking at your combination of Elliott and Neuvrith it is reasonable to say Price would be a massive upgrade.

Carter Hart is promising but he would have to go on to have one hell of a career to equal Cary Price.

Point taken about the cap though.

I dont think Carter Hart will ever have the career Carey Price has. But Hart fits much better into our timeline than Price does. Price is a massive upgrade on the current, but our defense still needs to be fixed. Acquiring Price makes us better, but were still not contenders with him. Factor in the assets (if this thread is any indication...) it would acquire, and the Flyers quickly remove themselves from the Price 'sweepstakes'.

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
I don't think the proposal is anywhere close to being fair, however, I'd like to point out your stats comparison is as useless as using their post-junior age International stats:

Rinne
27GP 14W 10L 1.88GAA .926SV%

Price
10GP 10W 0L 0.99GAA .963SV%

You don't think it is relevant to look at their playoff numbers when comparing goalies for the playoffs??

Reactions: matrixtrippin

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
How many Veznia's and Cups does Price get with the Preds D playing in front of him? What's the plan, to re-sign Rinne at age 36? Go with Saros as the #1? or find another goalie? Starting next year... Rinne at age 36-?? Don't look better than Price at age 32-38

Your not hurting my feelings. It's an inquiry and you clearly don't like it. But what's the plan for Rinne? The guy who won the Veznia but got pulled in the playoffs last year? Is Saros the guy that the Preds have faith in being the new #1?

Remember, it's a question. Relax.
Chill if you don't like the answer given

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because its 100% speculation. It's the same as when people say X winger will score 50 playing next to McDavid. It's the most tired phrase on the weebsite. Not everyone gets the same. Likewise with goalies, some work better in certain systems, or when they see more shots, or less.

You're valuing Price when he was in Vezina form. The rest of the world sees him in his human, and injury riddled form. No one is paying a premium (and the package you proposed is so far beyond premium it's not even funny), until he gets back to that fork consistently and stays healthy.

Kind of like how Patch is not worth much right? Same kind of treatment towards Habs assets.

Price > Rinne. Not even close and one is locked up for 8 years and is age 31 while the other is 35 and needs a new contract at 36. Price is a game changer for a cup contender who has a goalie that struggled in the playoffs and will be past the age of 35.

I am valuing Price as a legit top 5 goalie for several years to come. Especially on that Preds D. Most GM's would value Price at $9.5M from age 31-38.

The real measure here what are the Preds plans in net? Keep Rinne and try to re-sign him, go with Saros, or find another depth goalie. Your a Flyers fan right? You know how difficult it is to find a top goalie in this league. Remove the Price offer... what are the Preds plans in net moving forward with the cup contender roster they have?

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA

Our Vezina-winning goaltender, two 1sts, a 2nd AND our best forward prospect? No, it really is as bad as some are making it out to be, and I really like Price.

Even if Saros is not the long-term solution we believe he is, merely competent goaltending (and better play from basically our whole team last year) would have given us a better outcome the past two seasons, it doesn't have to be an elite tender though.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
This is actually a good observation. Saros is very small for a goalie, so he needs to play perfectly. He can't cover any mistakes with his size. On nights that he is off, he looks bad. I don't feel confident he can make it as a full on starter.

Did not realize he was a small goalie ! I'll be sure to take a look at some Preds games when he starts I'd love to see a small goalie succeed in today's NHL :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad