Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
WhoScored ratings are pretty limited (especially in how they treat defenders), but I don't have many disagreements with their top 10 players in the EPL this year (with the exception of no Dias, owing to the above):

1. Kane
2. Grealish
3. KdB
4. Bruno
5. Mount
6. Soucek
7. Mahrez
8. Cancelo
9. Gundogan
10. Son

In the EPL era? Yes.

Interesting to me that three CBs have won the PFA award in PL era (Paul McGrath, John Terry, and VvD) but none won the FWA in the same year (lost to Chris Waddle, Lampard, and Sterling respectively.)

Reactions: Blender and luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
They also have no real option in doing that. SoS were going to make it untenable for their ownership to continue if there wasn't some concession.
I’m sure that the cycle of FSG doing good, FSG doing bad, getting yelled at, “apologizing” and walking back, returning to FSG doing good will continue

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah. Maybe this stops it a bit, since what it seems is they'll have a say / vote on stuff that is fan related.

I don't know until it happens, but it's a step.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Interesting to me that three CBs have won the PFA award in PL era (Paul McGrath, John Terry, and VvD) but none won the FWA in the same year (lost to Chris Waddle, Lampard, and Sterling respectively.)
Also weird about that is how absurd it was that van Dijk didn't win it.

Say Hey Kid

Baby, you can drive Makar
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
330px-David_Gilmour_Argentina_2015_%28cropped%29.jpg

David Gilmour is 9th.

Reactions: Jussi

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Philipps make a huge blunder the game before the last?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Philipps make a huge blunder the game before the last?

Yep and he can’t pass either so I don’t get the ratings. This guy is like a giant in the air though so maybe they count that more. I think he could come close to hitting a basketball rim with his head.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Well, whoscored does seem to have weird and inconsistent ratings system to me. And I personally haven’t watched Liverpool play since the super league fiasco, but I saw that and it caught my eye, so I thought I’d share it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yep and he can’t pass either so I don’t get the ratings. This guy is like a giant in the air though so maybe they count that more. I think he could come close to hitting a basketball rim with his head.

Yeah... I get it, he's done really well for who it is. He hasn't lost the matches. But... I don't see the love either.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yeah... I get it, he's done really well for who it is. He hasn't lost the matches. But... I don't see the love either.

Lowered standards IMO. He’s a fourth CB who can win every header and that’s it. He can’t keep up with anyone but he’s playing next to an RB who makes up for it. He also has no left foot at all. We just need one more good game from him though.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I mean...he's kept up with plenty of players. He's not super fast by any means but he's done well enough in that regard. His positioning is very strong, he's great in the air and his passing is fine. I don't get why any Liverpool fan would not be ecstatic at how he's played since stepping into the team. He's made one mistake in how many games on a makeshift defence (next to defenders that are worse than him). Nobody is claiming he's the next coming of van Dijk but he's definitely been very good, and better than he's being given credit for.

Reactions: luiginb

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I mean...he's kept up with plenty of players. He's not super fast by any means but he's done well enough in that regard. His positioning is very strong, he's great in the air and his passing is fine. I don't get why any Liverpool fan would not be ecstatic at how he's played since stepping into the team. He's made one mistake in how many games on a makeshift defence (next to defenders that are worse than him). Nobody is claiming he's the next coming of van Dijk but he's definitely been very good, and better than he's being given credit for.

I think everyone's really happy with his performances. But there's also nothing wrong with knowing that this is an insane run of form that almost definitely will not keep up.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He’s done as well as you can expect your 4th or 5th CB to do, even better actually. But he doesn’t have a future at a club of Liverpool’s caliber beyond a very deep bench player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad