Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Teams that opposed the 5 subs:

Villa, Burnley, Palace, Fulham, Leicester, Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, West Ham and Wolves

I mean I get why they oppose it.

They don't/didn't have Europe (for the most part, Leicester). And they don't have as deep squads.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean I get why they oppose it.

They don't/didn't have Europe (for the most part, Leicester). And they don't have as deep squads.
They oppose it because it benefits them/or them think it levels the playing field. Not because it benefits the greater good. Wilder had someone come off due to a hamstring injury in the first half of today’s game apparently. (Didn’t watch) and he has one point to show for it. What a clown.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I get it to an extent. If City can throw on 5 60 million pound players if they’re losing, and you can’t afford to pay more than 15 dudes, you might see some inequity.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I get it to an extent. If City can throw on 5 60 million pound players if they’re losing, and you can’t afford to pay more than 15 dudes, you might see some inequity.
I mean, what money value do you draw the line at? If teams could agree on five subs you can open up ways of mitigating that; like mandating use of academy players for the 4th and/or 5th sub(s), but you can’t even get these teams to the negotiating table.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
OK, let me understand this, having 5 subs is for the greater good???

WHAT? :laugh:

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Calling Wilder a clown for not thinking it is a great idea to change the rules during the season is rather odd. Clubs make decisions on how much depth they think is needed based on how many games they are expected to play, the financial situation and current rules.

At the moment Spurs got one of the deeper benches in the league, but I have absolutely no problems staying with 3 subs. Unless it is unanimous I think that should be the end of it.

As for Berge getting injured. Surprise surprise players got injured before this season as well.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Sheffield United wtf.
Which team was the weakest in the history of the PL?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Please help me. 2020 has shown to the world how stupid we humans are - but abusing Bergwijn is if not a new low quite close. That is absurd. One of the hardest working players in the team. Even when he didn't play much he hasn't as far as I know been anything else than professional. I love him - sky high potential.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
OK, let me understand this, having 5 subs is for the greater good???

WHAT? :laugh:

I mean, healthier footballers make the game better. Heck, even more, as human beings, having these guys fit for longer helps them, the industry, and the quality of the sport, which is more enjoyable.

So, yes, with the compacted schedule, I do think 5 subs is for the greater good overall. Though, there can certainly be an argument that it helps some clubs more than others.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Calling Wilder a clown for not thinking it is a great idea to change the rules during the season is rather odd. Clubs make decisions on how much depth they think is needed based on how many games they are expected to play, the financial situation and current rules.

At the moment Spurs got one of the deeper benches in the league, but I have absolutely no problems staying with 3 subs. Unless it is unanimous I think that should be the end of it.

As for Berge getting injured. Surprise surprise players got injured before this season as well.
He is a clown. His team has one point and his team is getting injured too. He can’t cry poor either. He added a relatively good amount of depth in the summer. Signed 8 players and loaned in Amapadu. He is a clown because his team would arguably be better off if they had more subs too. Now his guys are dropping like flies but he is sticking to his guns. Clown.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
All these team-specific journos, like I respect that they have sources for transfers and things like that. But once you veer into opinion territory, Melissa Reddy is any random Liverpool supporter. No one cares. We've gone in circles on this, she's not treading any new ground.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
He is a clown. His team has one point and his team is getting injured too. He can’t cry poor either. He added a relatively good amount of depth in the summer. Signed 8 players and loaned in Amapadu. He is a clown because his team would arguably be better off if they had more subs too. Now his guys are dropping like flies but he is sticking to his guns. Clown.

I'm pretty sure even a clown is aware of how many players the club signed in the summer.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I will let the brilliant Melissa Reddy explain

It's just so wrong it's incredible.
COACHES should take care of the players' health and rotate.
That's why it means it's better for top teams to have 5 subs with strong bench because they have 20 good players and thus can field a good team.
When a poorer team has 3 subs, they limit the number of quality players they must have in their 20 players. They can have some youngsters at the end of the bench.

Subs don't hurt the health. Coaches do. When Tuchel never rotates, it's HIS problem and it's HIM that hurts his players' health. Same for Klopp.

This is a farce.

Reactions: Havre

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I mean, healthier footballers make the game better. Heck, even more, as human beings, having these guys fit for longer helps them, the industry, and the quality of the sport, which is more enjoyable.

So, yes, with the compacted schedule, I do think 5 subs is for the greater good overall. Though, there can certainly be an argument that it helps some clubs more than others.
That's absolutely not true.
What makes the game enjoyable is the uncertainty. Big teams want to eliminate that. They want to start the same 11+5 all the time. By rotating they give more of a chance to smaller teams.
THAT makes the game enjoyable to most people.

Of course give that here most are fans of "big" teams, that could care less and certainly don't enjoy upsets.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Melissa Reddy isnt exactly an unbiased journo either, we all know where she came from and who she is a fan of. Not exactly a shocker that she would support something that LFC supports.

as Evilo said, if someone was truly concerned about players getting injured, why not rotate the squad more and if 4 injuries(VVD, Milner, Thiago, Jota) severly effect your squad that much; you didnt build your squad right, especially as you knew before the transfer window closed what the compressed schedule was going to look like. I ruled out Gomez and Matip from that, they are perennial sick notes and counting on them to be healthy was not smart either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad