Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That's nostalgia more than anything else. It's a billboard on a sports jersey. None add anything to a kit.
Maybe but it is nice to see a brand fitting well with the jersey.

Seeing a jersey with no sponsor feel so empty and weird.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Funny story :
After the Leeds/Fulham game, Meslier asked Bamford for his jersey. Surprised, Bamford said sure no problem but for whom? Meslier answered "for Dembele". "What, the Barca one"? "Yes, he watches every Leeds game and is a big fan". So Bamford gave it to him but asked to get Dembele's as well. A couple of days later, Meslier had Dembele's shirt with "for my brother Bamford, Dembele" written on it.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Funny story :
After the Leeds/Fulham game, Meslier asked Bamford for his jersey. Surprised, Bamford said sure no problem but for whom? Meslier answered "for Dembele". "What, the Barca one"? "Yes, he watches every Leeds game and is a big fan". So Bamford gave it to him but asked to get Dembele's as well. A couple of days later, Meslier had Dembele's shirt with "for my brother Bamford, Dembele" written on it.
That's it Dembele to Leeds for 40 mil :D

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

From a data analysis standpoint this article is laughably bad.

First of all, TTT subscriber “CVT” created an expected penalties model based on the number of Penalty Box Touches (PBT) of the ten English players who win the most penalties*, to set that as a baseline against which similarly (if not additionally) talented foreign players could be judged

If you’re trying to establish a baseline rate and variance at which touches in the box turn into penalties, you’d take the players with the most *touches* as opposed to the most *penalties*

Limiting it to the players with the most penalties (and a subset of those at that) only tells you how long it takes the most frequent penalty winners to get a penalty, not how long it takes anyone nor does it establish what variance might be.

I didn’t read much further than that because there was little reason to invest more time in an analysis so obviously done in pursuit of an already identified conclusion.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
From a data analysis standpoint this article is laughably bad.

If you’re trying to establish a baseline rate and variance at which touches in the box turn into penalties, you’d take the players with the most *touches* as opposed to the most *penalties*

Limiting it to the players with the most penalties (and a subset of those at that) only tells you how long it takes the most frequent penalty winners to get a penalty, not how long it takes anyone nor does it establish what variance might be.

I didn’t read much further than that because there was little reason to invest more time in an analysis so obviously done in pursuit of an already identified conclusion.
I don’t agree. I think it’s a fair metric. The most common PK takers have the largest sample size.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I don’t agree. I think it’s a fair metric. The most common PK takers have the largest sample size.

There is absolutely no reason to expect, statistically, that the players who win the most penalties are average at behaviors that win penalties.

He is making the assumption, without proof, that touches in the penalty box is directly correlated with penalties won and then using that assumption to claim that certain players are awarded an unduly low number of penalties.

It should be pretty obvious that it’s a flawed metric given it claims that over the period analyzed there should have been 850 penalties awarded to all players and instead there were 307.

When your expected metric is 2.5x higher than reality over the course of *years*, your expected metric is probably trash.

Reactions: luiginb and YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is absolutely no reason to expect, statistically, that the players who win the most penalties are average at behaviors that win penalties.

He is making the assumption, without proof, that touches in the penalty box is directly correlated with penalties won and then using that assumption to claim that certain players are awarded an unduly low number of penalties.

It should be pretty obvious that it’s a flawed metric given it claims that over the period analyzed there should have been 850 penalties awarded to all players and instead there were 307.

When your expected metric is 2.5x higher than reality over the course of *years*, your expected metric is probably trash.
I mean you have to be in the penalty box (some exceptions :) ) to get a penalty, right? Not sure why you got so butt hurt about it and stoped reading.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

I feel like a better metric to try and find correlation would be to look at the number of entries into the box with the ball + number of times receiving the ball in the box. The number of touches afterward can be misleading. I have seen Salah for example get the ball in the box a number of times just to be turned away and forced to either pass the ball or just overhandle it and lose it, and in those cases he takes a lot of unnecessary little touches on the ball.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I mean you have to be in the penalty box (some exceptions :) ) to get a penalty, right? Not sure why you got so butt hurt about it and stoped reading.

Probably because you continuously just make flat out false claims in every different thread about penalties and fouls. Just trying to drive this narrative of Liverpool being the victim of a massive conspiracy. Somehow ignoring injuries (a completely legit excuse) and the fact that most of this year they've just flat out sucked.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Probably because you continuously just make flat out false claims in every different thread about penalties and fouls. Just trying to drive this narrative of Liverpool being the victim of a massive conspiracy. Somehow ignoring injuries (a completely legit excuse) and the fact that most of this year they've just flat out sucked.
I mean I have said they sucked this year too. Plenty of times. Both things can be true.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I feel like a better metric to try and find correlation would be to look at the number of entries into the box with the ball + number of times receiving the ball in the box. The number of touches afterward can be misleading. I have seen Salah for example get the ball in the box a number of times just to be turned away and forced to either pass the ball or just overhandle it and lose it, and in those cases he takes a lot of unnecessary little touches on the ball.

Yea, just to be clear I'm not saying the overall conclusion is false, I'm saying that the statistical analysis used to support it is awful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad