Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
When did that happen?

Fletcher been at this kind of role more or less for some time.

Fletcher has no experience as a TD. He's been with United as a manager for the U16s since October 2020.

After SAF left, post Moyes, there was a real push by the class of 92 guys to get their guys installed. Giggs tried engineer the manager role behind LVG's back and quit when Mourinho was hired. Gary Neville was assistant for the England staff 2012-2016, and publicly was floated for manager before taking the Valencia job, which was a disaster obviously and that quelled that.

Then there was the Rio for TD bit. He openly discussed becoming technical director in 2019. They've all taken turns. They all very clearly had/have ambitions to get into football management.

There's a reason Woodward keeps hiring them. It's not based on their resume. They have the added bonus of being a PR shield and it's tired.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Fletcher has no experience as a TD. He's been with United as a manager for the U16s since October 2020.

After SAF left, post Moyes, there was a real push by the class of 92 guys to get their guys installed. Giggs tried engineer the manager role behind LVG's back and quit when Mourinho was hired. Gary Neville was assistant for the England staff 2012-2016, and publicly was floated for manager before taking the Valencia job, which was a disaster obviously and that quelled that.

Then there was the Rio for TD bit. He openly discussed becoming technical director in 2019. They've all taken turns. They all very clearly had/have ambitions to get into football management.

There's a reason Woodward keeps hiring them. It's not based on their resume. They have the added bonus of being a PR shield and it's tired.

By the tabloids... :facepalm: He's made it very clear himself that he's not qualified. He knows his level.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
By the tabloids... :facepalm: He's made it very clear himself that he's not qualified. He knows his level.

It only took being hired to manage Valencia bc he is a friend of the owner, being a full on disaster and getting run of Spain for him to know.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
His history

Murtough joined United in November 2013, having worked with David Moyes at Everton, and became the club's head of football development in 2016.

Prior to that that he was head of elite performance at the Premier League, following senior academy and player development roles at other clubs.

The Manchester Evening News understands Murtough introduced himself as United's 'director of football' when he oversaw the recruitment of the women's team in 2018.

The Liverpudlian was involved in United's overhaul of the academy and recruitment department and even chaperoned teenager Hannibal Mejbri at United's 2019 friendly with Kristiansund in Norway.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I mean Murtough could do a great job. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s another guy from the same regime and a former cult hero getting the promotions. Add in the fact that they’ve been “looking” for a DOF for what, like 3 years now and they finally settled on a guy who’s been here forever? Just stinks of all the cronyism that’s been going on forever.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Phil Foden (20) is if not the best, one of the best young players of his position, in the world and all together of all positions,
one of the best young players.

He has been great this season + he can produce as well.
It is still confusing though, when he is not in the starting 11...he should be starting almost every match.
- 9 matches as a sub and 7 matches where he has sat on the bench, thats 16 matches!

6 goals, 7 assists in 22 prem matches this season.
all together : 11 goals, 10 assists, in 35 matches this season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I mean Murtough could do a great job. But I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s another guy from the same regime and a former cult hero getting the promotions. Add in the fact that they’ve been “looking” for a DOF for what, like 3 years now and they finally settled on a guy who’s been here forever? Just stinks of all the cronyism that’s been going on forever.

Yeah. I don't mind people taking their time to find the right person of course, but the whole thing is a bit odd.

I really like Fletcher. He seems like an intelligent and likeable guy, but I can never understand why ex. players can't learn their trade in a smaller club first? He should have spent 5 years somewhere else running something before getting such a position at United in my opinion.

Doesn't mean it can't work of course. Just seems extremely unlikely that this is the best they could do (which is all good to me).

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
I don't see why Fletcher wouldn't be suited to his new role having come through the academy and developed into a first team player. He's been doing his coaching badges too.
He will focus on a co-ordinated and long-term approach to player and squad development, helping maintain the integral link between the Academy and the first team

Sounds like Murtough has done good work with the academy and women's team recruitment allowing them to sign Mejbri and a lot of talent in the last few years. Manc Evening News suggest Murtough will be first point of call for other teams during transfers instead of Woodward/Judge which can only be a good thing.

United's hierarchy according to The Athletic.

Michael Edwards was promoted from within at Liverpool. Cech, Maldini, Zorc, Salihamidzic and van der Sar all got various jobs at big clubs without experience.

Reactions: Jussi

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don't see why Fletcher wouldn't be suited to his new role having come through the academy and developed into a first team player. He's been doing his coaching badges too.

They were "searching" for a TD for 3 years! Then hired an ex player who retired in May 2020.

It could always work of course, but they deserve the skepticism.

If they hired a recently retired ex Arsenal or Chelsea player with that resume, people would lose their minds.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
If Fletcher is the objectively speaking best choice among the thousands of professionals that would be interested in that job - then perfect. I just find that unlikely.

Experience isn't everything, but who here aren't better at their job after some years building up some experience? Especially when it is in many ways your first job.

Then again this is what happens all the time at football clubs so...

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, yeah, Edwards was promoted from within (though brought in from outside regimes ago), but the entire structure is different for Liverpool than United, where clearly, Woodward is going to have a lot of the say, approval and opinion no matter what.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I should also specify that promoting from within isn’t a bad thing. But when you’re promoting from within when it’s part of a structure and system that hasn’t worked for close to a decade that’s when questions are rightfully going to be asked. It could work and I really hope it does, but I don’t see why Ed should get the benefit of the doubt.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Come now. As much as I like to rag on United, they're going to make CL, they've shown improvement, and seem like they've gotten some of the recruitment right. I think the manager isn't very good, and I think the squad has significant holes that they've already just thrown money at, but coming off a weekend where they beat the likely runaway champions 2-0, I think they get some credit for righting the ship.

Whether that means you clap everyone on the back, promote the lackeys, and give everyone contract extensions, I don't know, but I do think they've done enough to toot their own horn a bit.

Reactions: Jussi

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Come now. As much as I like to rag on United, they're going to make CL, they've shown improvement, and seem like they've gotten some of the recruitment right. I think the manager isn't very good, and I think the squad has significant holes that they've already just thrown money at, but coming off a weekend where they beat the likely runaway champions 2-0, I think they get some credit for righting the ship.

Whether that means you clap everyone on the back, promote the lackeys, and give everyone contract extensions, I don't know, but I do think they've done enough to toot their own horn a bit.

If they lose to West Ham they’ll only be 3 points up on 5th and West Ham have a game in hand.

Everton and Spurs are also only a couple points behind that.

Wouldn’t be crazy for United to go a bit cold and one of those teams to run hot and result in United in 5th

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If they lose to West Ham they’ll only be 3 points up on 5th and West Ham have a game in hand.

Wouldn’t be crazy for United to go a bit cold and one of those teams to run hot and result in United in 5th

United have basically 3 midfielders available right now with McTom, Fed and Matic. Mata, Pogba, and Donny have been out injured for a month. Martial was subbed off at halftime due to a hip injury which means United's forwards options for the weekend are Greenwood, James, Diallo and Shoretire.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

Sure, it's certainly possible. I would expect them not to screw it up, but who knows. I think after the win against City (where I don't think many expected points out of it) it would be a little less likely.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Come now. As much as I like to rag on United, they're going to make CL, they've shown improvement, and seem like they've gotten some of the recruitment right. .

They aren't close to a lock to making CL. They can be 2 games out of 6th and totally out of Europe if they lose this weekend. They have Spurs/WestHam/Leicester/Liverpool in their last 10 matches. They could drop 12 points right there if things go pear-shaped.

Yes, they are better, but I think they will be lucky to make CL.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
They aren't close to a lock to making CL. They can be 2 games out of 6th and totally out of Europe if they lose this weekend. They have Spurs/WestHam/Leicester/Liverpool in their last 10 matches. They could drop 12 points right there if things go pear-shaped.

Yes, they are better, but I think they will be lucky to make CL.

Was with you until this. They remain very comfortably favourites to make Top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad